The high desk can cause multiple problems in your neck or back if your desk is too high. It is necessary to solve the problems. Here we have listed the problems below and the treatment for the same. Buying a best product is necessary for health and comfort.
Problems You Can Face If Your Desk Is Too High
When you consider buying a home desk for yourself, make sure it is neither too short or neither too long. The problem that occurs when your desk is too long is you. When your desk is too high, the most common thing you would develop is aches and pains.
When our shoulders muscles are kept at a contracting position throughout the day, can lead to hypertension in the muscles. This means the development of habits that can harm our necks, shoulders, and backs.
Most of the time the problems would be:
1. Lower Back Pain
Whether it is occasional or an ongoing ache, it can prevent you from performing your best at a desk job. Sitting in the same position can lead to lower back pain.
The following are the solution for when the pain stack up:
- rock your pelvis back and forth while seated in your chair.
- Tilt your hips up and round your back making an opposite C position, THis will help you get those muscles loosened back to normal.
2. Wrist Strain (Pain)
When we keep responding to emails through laptop/keyboard, we position our hands in such a way that our tendons go back and forth. While they are parallel to each other, which glides and creates friction called “MICROTRAUMA”
The Following can help you get free from it:
- Join your fingers and hands near your chest, while keeping fingers facing northwards.
- Keep your palm together and elbows moving towards the outside.
- Now lower your hands until you feel a good amount of stretch in your wrist.
- Continue holding for 5 – 10 seconds.
3. Neck And Shoulder Pain
Having placed your keyboard/Monitor far away from your desk might tend to lean your neck and shoulder forward, which over a period of time may cause pain. As it disturbs the body’s structured alignment including the spinal cord, stretching the muscles and soft tissues.
The following will help you retreat it:
- Practising neck and shoulder stretches daily would be more effective than using prescription-based anti-inflammatory drugs or seeing a chiropractor.
- Practise chin tuck exercise, sitting or standing upright, make sure your spinal cord is straight, push your head forward. Lean your chin out as far as possible.
- Try reversing the same as far as possible. But your head remains at the same level as positioned.
- Repeat the above process up to four times.
It’s the most common thing one can have, staring at your laptop or computer screen for hours continuously can cause eye fatigue. The eyes are the most important part of our body so taking the utmost care is most important, most people don’t blink their eyes while staring at their screen which can cause dry eyes.
This can be treated by the following:
- After every 20- 30 minutes, look for something outside your door or windows or give your eyes a little break.
- Also in the morning try to move your eyeballs up down left right at least for 5 minutes a day. Its compounding effects are worth saving a surgery.
Why High Desks Are Good?
When your desk is too high, you might feel that you are needed to stretch your shoulders, arms, and legs to properly reach the keyboard/ computer table. Which causes you to hold your upper limbs for a longer period of time.
Also can cause blockage of blood flow to working hands and wrists. To compile all these you might start feeling back pain, wrist pain, leg pain, etc.
Things to check before you buy a desk, it is important to make sure that:
- There is enough space left for your knees, thighs, and feet to fit in.
- If the desk is not so spacious it could block the area for your legs and can cause
- Don’t store any kinds of food items under the desk.
Also, there are some solutions which can help you overcome these challenges of having a desk that is too high for you, like :
- The footrest is the best available option to support your feet.
- Raising your chair, the desks become easily adjustable.
- If your desk has a hard edge, make the edges soft or take the help of the carpenter or use a wrist rest.
Having your desk too low might create back pain, shoulder pain, hand discomforts, wrist pain, etc.
What Is The Best Way To Sit At A High Desk?
Maintaining a good body posture is an essential thing or it can cause neck aches or body pains.
- So ideally, there should be 1 feet distance from the computer or the electric appliance to avoid unwanted harmful rays
- Also, the desk should be aligned in such a way that your hand reaches the keyboard easily and provides comfort.
- The desk must not be too low or high to avoid unwanted injuries in muscles.
Also, consider taking interval breaks between hours of sitting to standing is considered a good point. PRINCIPLE OF ERGONOMICS when applied to sitting or standing work positions produces good results. Having a height-adjustable desk and the placement of a monitor in your room can contribute to health benefits.
When your study materials are kept nearby your desk (easy to reach out) it can help you prevent improper movement of your body. A standing mat can also be considered for the time when you are working in a standing position.
Is It Worth Buying A Height-Adjustable Desk?
Problems can vary from discomfort to chronic pain syndromes associated with a workplace injury or musculoskeletal disorders. Studies depict that when a person stood once in a while he is comparatively less active as compared to the person who just spent their entire day in the chair.
The solution for the problems caused by sitting or standing for too long hours is just a height-adjustable desk. This means is best possible solution is to buy a height-adjustable desk because it can be used as an alternative for sitting and standing properly throughout the day.
Ergonomic Effect Of The High Desk
Not having a height-adjustable desk means you are open to limited resources. While it is always recommended to use an adjustable standing desk, which might not be available at all the time. The height of your desktop is important for avoiding bad posture and neck pain.
Yet, the desk should be right at your elbow height. When checking the appropriate size if your arms are raised up or stretch your shoulders then probably the size is too high for you. When your hands remain lower than your elbow that means it requires an update.
The same happens when your desk is too low, then you must hold your arms in a position that reaches the keyboard. But most of the time it creates an awkward position that can lead to an imbalance of posture.
Although the desk that is too low is easy to fix and adjust, you need to increase the height by keeping boards or books under its legs. While for the longer height you have to decrease its length through the carpenter. But, it is still recommended to buy a new desk and find something that is adjustable to your height.
Which Is Better High Desk Or Low?
The Youth Age or today’s generation is promoting the Standing desk as it not only helps in maintaining body weight or helps in weight loss. Dr. suggests that after having your lunch or breakfast your blood sugar level turns back to normal as on days when a person spends more time working standing.
As sitting for too long hours is directly proportional to an increase in chances of having the following diseases:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Cancer ( especially cancer of colons or breast)
But “ not sitting “ doesn’t mean different to anyone, activities like walking or simply standing. As the health benefits are different at each stage. So the real health impact of a standing desk is not predictable.
While a desk that is too high can cause some problems like shoulder and neck pains, also the desk that is too low is neither good. Instead, you can consider buying a desk that is adjustable. It is always the best choice to buy the best height-adjustable desk suitable for you. If your desk is too low or too high, then you can consider buying a new height-adjustable standing desk as a second option.
Leave a Reply