Working long hours on a standing desk can cause major issues in your knees. To avoid these health issues one has to take some major precautionary measures. Here, we have listed the issues and the things to avoid that make a standing desk bad for knees.
Why Are They Bad?
There will be a huge list of how a standing desk can be beneficial for health, but at the same time, it can cause body-related issues such as knee pain, stress, and, muscle pain, etc. These problems occur due to destructive body posture, which leads to the harm the user faces.
It would be helpful for the user if they use it the right way, which means switching between the standing and sitting positions throughout the day instead of following one type.
1. Body Weight
One of the reasons that affect the knees is carrying weight while standing or slouching while sitting, it worsens the joint pain that leads to more harm.
2. Standing For Longer Duration
Standing is not bad for the body but standing for a continuous period can be harmful and there will be high risks of developing pain which is not healthy for a body.
Do you know that if you choose to stand for a long period then it can cause joint damage and can stress your body too?
Yes, it can indeed cause joint damage due to unwanted pressure that you create for your body by staying in one activity that can sitting/ standing for more than half of the day.
There can be a lot of negative consequences if you do not pay attention to what is healthy for you and what is not.
3. Improper Height Of Monitor
It is important to note that if you change your positions then you change the height of the monitor too, If not so then it can lead to eye strain and neck pain.
4. Poor Posture
Activities that discomfort your body can lead to excessive pain and poor posture. If you are new to the standing desk then you should start standing for about 60 minutes per day and then you can increase the time as your body starts to feel comfortable.
5. Decreased Movement
If you do not indulge in activities while working at the standing desk then it makes no difference for your exercise as it will decrease the benefits. Not only it can cause knee and joint pains but can be one of the reasons for heart diseases, to avoid such diseases start using the convenience for what a high desk is for.
6. Improper Shoes
While working make sure to not wear uncomfortable footwear as it can be bad for your body and can lead to knee pain.
An 8-hour desk job can be difficult to do and that is why a standing desk is made – to help you gain comfort so that you can concentrate on your work without facing any discomfort and by following a few tips you can use the desk like a pro. And for that, you can start setting up a time for the sitting/ standing hours.
How You Can Get The Exact Height To Avoid Pain?
- For the perfect and comfortable height, measure your height and then look into the standing desk chart to check the height and angle for the desktop, mouse, and keyboard, and then set your desk and chair according to the given numbers. While measuring the height don’t forget to measure in the right way; which is till the shoe end part.
- This will ensure that you are not leaning towards the desk while sitting/standing which will help you get a good posture and reduce the chances for any kind of diseases that can provide harm to your body.
- Using the standing desk will not only reduce the chances of diseases but will make sure that you live a healthy life.
- Use a smooth mat with a soft surface so that you will not feel any type of pressure on your foot, it will endure that you do not get any injury or pain in your knees. If you had an injury before and it starts to get bad make sure that your check-up with your doctor.
- It will help you avoid the risk of any damage to your joints and knees. A list of the benefits of using a standing desk has a lot of points. You need to use it in the correct way.
Exercises To Relieve Knee Pain
There can be a lot of activities that can cause knee pain which you must be aware of and a few of you must be thinking about how you can get through it.
This exercise will also help you in the strengthening of the muscles, joints and while doing any of these exercises if you feel any kind of pain then do not force yourself for any activity and go see your doctor.
Here is the list of exercises that can help in reducing the pain and not only it will reduce the knee pain but will also help you get fit and flexible.
a. Half Squats – This exercise can help you reduce the pain and helps in restore the function and will fill the damage that causes in the body. It also helps in the strength of the muscle to balance the knee and is a way to strengthen the legs without putting pressure on the knees. Avoid doing full squats as they can higher the risk of knee-related injury
b. Quads – If you strengthen your muscles at the front of your thighs then it can help you improve your quadriceps muscles and will reduce knee pain. This will help you straighten the knees from various angles and is the most standard during the movements.
c. Walking – It is the best activity cum walk to ease the pain you are suffering from and will make your knees feel relieved. It helps in rebuilding the joints and strengthening the legs. If you are someone who wishes to lose weight at the same time, this can be a cherry on the cake.
Make sure to avoid walking on rough and hard surfaces, it can cause more pain instead walk on a soft surface as it would be more affecting. If it hurts while you walk then you need to see your doctor.
Working For 8 Hours Could Affect Your Knees?
Yes, it is a fact that working for 8 hours on a standing desk could affect your knees if the person chooses to stand for the whole day without any movement then it can cause harm to your health and can cause knee and back pain.
Research also shows that those who stand for a long period can feel discomfort in their bodies which forces the joints to get frozen for a temporary time.
It is healthy if one chooses to keep switching the positions instead of following one pattern. Everything in your life requires practical behaviour and discipline and getting the exact height of the desk is important as it helps in a healthy lifestyle.
Not only bad posture but carrying extra weight can also lead to knee pain and back pain. Sitting often can higher the chances of diseases like heart attack, obesity, back pain, improper posture, etc.
Its best for the employees to keep switching positions to ignore any type of harm, start looking out for your body and do the things that can help you live a healthy life. If you feel any kind of discomfort take a break or go for a walk as it will help you and your body relax in the best way.
Correct Posture To Relieve Pain
A lot of you must be wondering about how you can create or exercise a correct posture to relieve the pain in the knees, don’t worry we got your back. Here are a few tips that can help you in getting the correct posture.
- Avoid sitting in a slouching way, it will help in reducing the pressure that your body faces.
- Stand straight without folding your legs which will help you get into a bad posture
- Avoid continuous sitting at one place as it can be painful for some time when you do any movement.
- Wear comfortable shoes to avoid the pressure and use a smooth mat to stand/ sit on.
- Take rests during breaks as it will help you relax your body and will avoid any kind of force and pain.
- Do not spend all your time sitting or standing. Keep changing the body movement using a standing desk.
- Every time you take a break, try to stretch as it will help you relax your muscles.
- Exercise or doing yoga, they both will help you get a good posture and reduce the pain
- Adjust your desk and chair according to the standing desk chart by measuring your height.
- Last, not least go see your doctor.
Standing desks can be healthy and can save you from harmful effects on your body but it can also become the reason for an unhealthy lifestyle that can cost you your life. It is better to beware of the facts and reasons that can lead to any kind of pain or affect you. Make sure to follow the thread as it will help you gain a healthy lifestyle with an easy work desk.