While using a standing desk, if it is becoming difficult to use it conveniently then there are a few mistakes that are creating hassle in your work. Here, we have tried to check and collect the list of top standing desk mistakes that one should avoid making work easier and faster.
What To Avoid?
The standing desk has various benefits and it is more convenient than a sitting desk. These days people are realizing its potential. And adopting new trends at their workplace. However, when you work at a standing desk you need to avoid a few mistakes.
Avoiding these mistakes will make give you a comfortable experience while working. Standing for too long can be harmful to your health. It can cause you various health problems like back and neck pain. To keep yourself healthier you must avoid the following mistakes:
1. Standing For Longer Time
Problem: Standing for too long is not good for your health. When you stand for a long it can harm your back and neck. Standing for too long also makes you feel discomfort and you become tired.
Fix: Avoid standing for more than 4 hours. Do not stand for long hours, switch from standing to sitting after standing for an hour. Take a short break from your work.
2. Inappropriate Height Of Desk
Problem: if your desk height is inappropriate, you might face issues like neck pain, wrist pain, etc. The reason is you will be looking at the monitor at an awkward angle, and also while typing your wrist won’t be comfortable at rest or optimum angle.
Fix: Standing desk helps you both mentally and physically. You must adjust your desk at an appropriate height otherwise it will be painful. The height of your keyword and monitor should not be too high or too low. Adjust your desk height in such a way as to maintain your elbow at a 90-degree angle. Manage your desk height according to your computer screen. And place your screen slightly below your eye level.
3. Standing Straight For Long
Problem: Standing straight for a long can harm your body structure. When you stand for a long time it can cause joint or foot pain.
Fix: To avoid this you must change your resting position after every 20 minutes. When working at a sitting desk it becomes difficult to move but with a standing desk, it is easier. If required use a footstool to rest your legs.
4. Foot Fatigue
Problem: When you stand for a long you may experience foot pain. Standing long might hurt your feet or you may notice fatigue while standing.
Fix: Then use an anti-fatigue mat under your feet. It provides comfort to your feet while standing. Using an anti-fatigue mat gives you an extra cushion. Using a mat under the feet is comfortable while working at a standing desk.
5. Wearing Uncomfortable Shoes
Problem: Uncomfortable shoes might hurt your feet while working at a standing desk. You might also face foot fatigue and numbness.
Fix: Wear comfortable shoes at work. When you work at a standing desk you keep your weight on your feet. While working at standing desk footwear and mat flooring is important to consider. Select your footwear wisely. It should be comfortable.
6. Adjust Desk Height
Problem: As we already mentioned earlier improper desk height will impact your joints. Having a desk height at an incorrect level can cause back, neck, and wrist pain.
Fix: Keeping your desk height at the appropriate level is necessary. The height of your keyboard and monitor should be in the correct position.
7. Incorrect Monitor Position
Problem: If your monitor is not in the proper position it will cause you upper back pain. Your monitor screen should not be at a low. If your monitor position is below your eye level or you will have to look down while working. Then you must adjust the monitor height.
Fix: When you work at a standing desk or a sitting desk the position of your monitor should be appropriate. Raise your laptop monitor screen at high, it should not be too tilted.
8. Incorrect Posture
Problem: Standing for long in an incorrect posture can be a reason for pain. Incorrect standing posture can cause back and neck pain. Do not stand for long in a wrong posture.
Fix: To avoid such discomfort, standing in a correct posture is necessary. It will enhance your productivity. Standing straight will improve your blood circulation.
Here are a few things which you need to consider to improve the posture:
- When you sit or stand make your back straight. When you stand at the workplace make sure your head is back and hips upright forming an ‘S’ curve with your spine.
- When you work at a standing desk make sure you follow these ergonomic principles.
- Always sit on a good chair. Avoid sitting on uncomfortable chairs. Adjust your chair height according to your height. Maintain proper eye-level distance from the monitor.
- Proper use of pelvic support is required whether you work at a standing desk or a sitting desk. Maintaining correct pelvic support is extremely important. Otherwise, it will cause your pelvic support problems. Pelvic support problems occur in the organs such as the bladder, uterus, and urethra.
- Keep your knees at 90 degree
- Monitor height is another important aspect to consider. When you work at a standing desk. Your monitor height should be at eye level.
- Avoid sitting close to the monitor. Maintain your eye distance of 20-28 inches from the monitor screen.
- It is important to maintain the correct height of your monitor. Make sure your monitor should be at a 20-degree tilt.
- Standing or sitting continuously can be dangerous for your health. To maintain your good health and wellbeing. After every 20-30 minutes you must switch to a standing position
9. Avoiding Exercise
Problem: Avoiding exercise is not good for your well-being. You might think you are using a standing desk so you can avoid exercise. But exercising keeps you healthy.
Fix: Doing exercise will improve your blood circulation and it is good for your mental health. It will keep you away from depression and anxiety. It helps you maintain your body weight and keeps you fit.
10. Incorrect Wrist Position
Problem: Incorrect wrist position is another serious problem. If your wrist is at an awkward angle for too long, it might lead to wrist pain. It might get serious after some period.
Fix: While working you must ensure that your wrist is incorrect position. It should be at 180 degrees. When you work keep your wrist flat. It should not be bending upwards.
Is Standing Desk Better Than Sitting Desk?
Both standing desk and sitting desk has their own benefits. Standing desks are more flexible compared to sitting desks. Collaboration at the workplace becomes easier with a standing desk.
It enhances your productivity and focus while working in the office Chances of back pain and neck pain reduce with a standing desk. However, sitting for a long time can cause you back pain and it can harm your body posture.
A sitting desk is less flexible compared to a standing desk. Sitting for long is harmful to your health. Sitting continuously for 8-10 hours regularly can cause serious health problems.
Professionals who sit for long may suffer from chronic pain in their neck and back. The standing desk is preferable. As it brings an ideal change and supports a healthy lifestyle.
Will It Helps To Cure Neck Pain?
When you work at a standing desk a correct posture is necessary. Standing in the right posture can provide you relief from neck pain. Maintain the appropriate height of your desk according to your height.
Adjust your screen height to make your elbow rest at 90 degrees. Poor posture is the cause of neck and back pain. If your sitting desk is not comfortable and gives you pain.
Then you must switch to a standing desk. If required consult an orthopaedic expert. Working at a standing desk improves your blood circulation level. It prevents blood clotting in the legs.
Continuous sitting can be harmful. You should move around a bit while standing and working. Taking a short break for walking or sitting comfortably is healthy.
- Working at a standing desk enhances your productivity
- Collaboration at the workplace becomes easy when you work at a standing desk
- Standing desk provides you relaxing environment while working
- Working at a standing desk is good for mental health
- Working at a standing desk improves body posture
- It reduces back and neck pain
- Easily move around when working at a standing desk
The standing desk has various advantages. You can attend the meeting while standing around your desk. Working at a standing desk helps you change your mood. It also helps in burning calories. When you work at a standing desk, throughout the day you can walk around for a while. It keeps you motivated and improves your well-being. Taking a short break during a regular interval of time enhances your productivity. Avoid taking work pressure when you work.