Buying a smart lock for your home can a daunting task as there are plenty of options available. Schlage is one of the popular smart lock brand.It has a loyal consumer base.Schlage has introduced three lines of smart lock products that are- Schlage Encode, Schlage Connect, and Schlage Sense. All three of them are quite similar in their design but they differ in their working and functionality.
After testing these three smart locks separately for a week, we have come across many differences as well as some similarities among them. It would help you decide which one would be the best suited for your home. Go through the comparison chart given below to get an overview of the main features of all these three products.
|Product||Schlage Encode||Schlage Connect||Schalage Sense|
|Suitable temperature||Outside -35 C to 66 C Inside -10 C to 49C||Outside -35 C to 66 C Inside -10 C to 49C||Outside -35C to 66C Inside -10c to 49C|
|Required Hub||No||Need SmartThings or Wink||Need SmartThings or Wink|
|No of codes available||100||30||30|
|Warranty period||3 year||3 year||3 year|
|Google Assistant||No||Depends on the hub||Yes|
|Wink, Amazon Echo Plus||No||Depends on hub||No|
|Residential Standard Certification||Grade AAA in security, durability, and finish||Grade BAA in security, durability, and finish||Grade AAA in security, durability, and finish|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price]||Check Price|
What Are The Similarities?
- Battery :All three smart locks use A44 Plus batteries and also give you low battery warning.
- Alarm Sensors :They have the built-up alarm sensors that send alerts to your smartphone as soon as someone tries to break in your home or tamper the lock.
- Touch Screen Access :These devices have an illuminating touchscreen to put in the passcode to get access in case if your smartphone is not working. You can also use this feature to let your guests come in with the help of passcodes.
- Security Level: Have got Grade 1 highest level residential security for enhanced lock strength.
- Guest Access Code :Provide access codes for guest users. You can let your closed ones come in with the help of the guest pass codes.
- OS Compatibility :All three devices are compatible with both iOS and Android system.
- Device Compatibility :All three of them are compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. (In case of Schlage Sense and Connect you need to first connect it with Wink or SmartThings)
- Notification System:They have the activity notification facility that gives you updates on your smartphone whenever someone comes in or goes out of your home.
- Installation :Installation of all these three devices is quite easy and feels like installing the deadbolt. In case if you have to connect your smart lock to a smart hub then it does require some extra work otherwise it is not a tough job to do.
- Warranty:It gives lifetime limited warranties on both mechanical parts and the finish of the product.
- Design :The design of all the three smart locks is quite similar. Schlage Encode is small in size but looks similar to the other two in design.
Schlage Encode :Features And Technical Specifications
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately).
- Receive text or email alert when your family uses their codes, so you know who's home
- Grant access to your home when you can't be there with a scheduled code to let someone
- It can work remotely very easily. You can connect it to your smartphone and lock/unlock it from anywhere you want and anytime. One advantage it has over other locks is that it works through Wi-Fi and does not need to be connected to a smart hub or Bluetooth to work. So, it makes your life much easier and hassle-free.
- It is not compatible with SmartThings which is a major drawback
- It is also not compatible with IFTTT that is a very important feature for your home automation devices and is very popular also.
- It does not need to be connected to a hub and work independently. It works on Wi-Fi and that is way easier to connect. You do not need to buy lots of wires and plugs to install this lock system. It can be controlled via your smartphone with the help of the Schlage Home app that you can easily download on your phone.
- It is slightly smaller than other locks that make it easily fit inside your door without any problem.
- It is also generally quite while locking/unlocking process, unlike other locks that make a grinding noise.
- It has a smaller battery life of only 6 months, unlike the other locks that have at least 12 months of battery life. It is because it works on Wi-Fi and not a hub.
Schlage Connect :Features And Technical Specifications
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately)
- Touch Screen keypad and lock cylinder on exterior and thumb turn interior. Door thickness range is 1.37 to 1.75 standard
- Stores up to 30 personalized user codes at a time
- It works very well with Amazon Alexa which is a voice assistant provided by Amazon Echo. You can easily connect it to your Amazon Alexa at your home and create your hub.
- It is compatible with Z-Wave that makes it very convenient to connect to your smart hub. It will automatically connect to your smart automation devices like thermostats or smart lights and whenever you will leave home and your home is locked, it will automatically switch off the connected devices and save energy.
- It is considered to be a less expensive product as it is available at a reasonable price in the market.
- It does not work on Wi-Fi
- It needs to be connected to a hub to work well. You can easily connect it to Wink or SmartThings to control it remotely.
Schlage Sense :Features And Technical Specifications
- Hands-free voice control requires Schlage Sense WiFi Adapter and Alexa device (sold individually)
- Free iOS and Android smartphone app lets you manage codes, set schedules and view usage history
- Lock and unlock from anywhere by pairing with the Schlage Sense WiFi Adapter (sold separately)
- It can work remotely if you have updated Apple devices at home within 40 feet of the smart lock. You can make your Apple device the center of your smart lock hub and control it easily.
- It is not compatible to work with SmartThings or other hubs. It is mainly compatible with Apple HomeKit. So, if you do not have an Apple HomeKit or Apple devices Schlage Sense is not for you and you should choose between the other two options.
- You can also connect it to a Wi-Fi adapter to use. It will easily plug into any outlet and let you use this smart lock easily.
- It is compatible with Apple HomeKit which means you can easily use it via Apple assistant Siri. This lets you use your smart locks through your Apple products.
The installation processes of all these three locks are easy and similar to each other.
Some of the basic steps that you need to follow to install these three devices are-
- Remove the existing deadbolt to replace it with your new locking system
- Install the bolt and then strike
- Adjust the lock accordingly
- Install the touch screen
- Fit in the alarm
- Put in the batteries in the device
- After doing all this, test your device and the alarm system at least 3 times before you are sure of it completely
Your Schlage Sense Wi-Fi adapter needs to be connected to your Schlage Sense smart lock and then it can easily be compatible with Amazon products like Amazon Echo or Dot. It will also work well with Google Assistant which is the voice assistant provided by Google Home. After it, you can enjoy hands-free control over your smart lock.
Yes, you can limit the time and amount of the guest users whenever you want through the Schlage Home app that is connected to your smart lock by tapping on the guest user icon or the changing or modifying the access code. You can set timers for the guest users with which they will only be able to enter your home between a period and not before or after that.
Smart Schlage Connect locks have been certified as Grade A with a lot of smart features that can protect your home against any kind of threat. The built-in alarm system, it enhances your security. Your access codes are also secure in this lock as it ensures good encryption standards. If you are looking for a good lock for your home which will keep you safe then Schlage Connect would be a great option for you.
There are a few simple steps that you can follow to remove the user codes from your lock permanently-
a)There would be a Schlage button at the top of your Schlage lock touchscreen that you need to press
b)Enter your 6 digit programming code
c)After doing it, press 6 and then you need to be sure that you have your lock’s access code
d)Enter your programming code again
e)As soon as you will finish these steps you will see a green checkmark and there would be 2 blinks and 2 beeps that would confirm that you have successfully deleted the user codes permanently.
The dimensions of Schlage Encode smart lock are as follows-
Exterior dimensions (side with touchscreen) – 3” * 5” * 0.89”
Interior dimensions (side with battery) – 3” * 5.47” * 2.26”
There are some requirements of the Wi-Fi network you are using if you want to connect it with your Schlage Encode device. Encode only supports a 2.4 GHz network and no other network range. So if you are not able to find your Wi-Fi connection on the Schlage Encode app then you must be having a 5 GHz WI-FI connection.
Also, if your Wi-Fi network is hidden then you need to put all the details about your network connection in the connected app manually and then try to connect it to your Wi-Fi network.
We hope that you find this post useful and you would’ve had some idea by now of which smart lock would be most suitable for your home. Before choosing any just make sure it matches with your exisitng home set-up. We wish for safety and security.