Smart locks were a luxury a few years ago. But, with the development of new technology they have become widely used today. Mechanical locks are no longer the most preferred form of locking systems now a days. This is perhaps because of the fact that it is easy to forget to lock them. This makes your house vulnerable to burglary or other mishaps.
Home-owners find it difficult to select a smart lock for their house. This is because of the wide-array of options available in the market. Each and every smart lock tends to differ from the other. You have to pay attention to the details in order to figure out which lock works best with your home. We bring to you a detailed comparison between two smart locks i.e. Schlage Sense and August Smart Lock Pro. We get into the product specifications of both these products. This will help you to decide which is the better smart lock for your home.
Schlage offers reliable and secure smart locks. They are a very apt replacement to our standard locks. Schlage has a variety of products including the Schlage Connect, Connected Keypad and the Schlage Sense. All of these are Z-Wave locks. They can be paired with a Wink or SmartThings Hub.
August Smart Lock Pro
August has a wide range of products including the August Gen 2 and the August Gen 3. They are HomeKit enabled and Z-Wave smart locks respectively. An August lock has a special set of features that make it very consumer-friendly.
Schlage Sense vs. August Smart Lock Pro: The Verdict
Schlage Sense Vs. August Smart Lock Pro: A Comparison Chart
|Specifications||Schlage Sense||August Smart Lock Pro|
|Technology||Bluetooth Apple HomeKit||Bluetooth Apple HomeKit Z-Wave Plus|
|Installation||Exterior & Interior Installation||Interior Installation|
|Remote Control||By use of Apple Home Hub or WiFi Adaptor||By use of August Connect/ Doorbell Cam Pro/ Apple Home Hub/ Z-Wave Hub|
|Sharing Of Access||Maximum - 30 Codes||Unlimited|
|Lock Grade||Present - Grade 1||No|
|Keypad||Available with the lock||Has to be purchased separately|
|Type Of Keypad||Touchscreen||Number|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
Schlage Sense vs. August Smart Lock Pro: Differences
Schlage Sense: The comparison chart mentions how Schlage Sense features only Bluetooth and HomeKit Support.
August Smart Lock Pro: August Smart Lock Pro utilizes Bluetooth, HomeKit and Z-Wave Plus. Let us explain to you what Z-Wave Plus means. It is an alternative to Z-Wave and WiFi. Z Wave Plus is a secure frequency. Many consider Z-Wave Plus to be better than the standard Z-Wave. This is because the Z-Wave Plus has an increased communication range. It also uses less battery. Z-Wave Plus is compatible with Z-Wave as well. This means that you can easily connect the August Smart Lock Pro with your Wink or SmartThings Hub. There is an added advantage in the fact that there are no bridges, gateways or connectors needed. August Smart Lock Pro offers high-quality integration into a smart home system. Compatibility with different hubs help you to accomplish certain tasks quickly. This is a huge plus point for the August Smart Lock Pro.
Winner: August Smart Lock Pro
2. Remote Control
Schlage Sense: Remote controls are an important part of any smart locking system. They help you to get instant notifications as and when the smart lock is used. Remote controls alert you about sharing access with guests. You can check the lock’s status from any place that you happen to be in. For this, it is necessary to be connected to the internet. The Schlage Sense has a remote control via a HomeKit or the Schlage Sense WiFi Adapter. You have to connect the Schlage Sense lock to your house’s Apple Hub. The Apple Hub can be the Apple TV or iPad. The Apple Hub must be plugged in. It has to be within the lock’s Bluetooth range. This ensures that it works as a smooth and simple remote control. Another option comes in the form of the Schlage Sense WiFi Adapter. This adapter has to be plugged into an outlet. It is then paired with the Schlage Sense Smart Lock. This is connected to your WiFi network. The best part about this is the fact that there is no wiring required. You just have to set up the Schlage Sense. After that, you can access the lock remotely with the help of the Schlage App. As mentioned before, the adapter helps to save the Schlage Senses lock’s battery life. The adapter is supposed to be constantly plugged in. This helps it to cover the WiFi power requirement. In other locks, the batteries have to be changed constantly because the lock connects directly to your WiFi network.
August Smart Lock Pro: August Smart Lock Pro uses a wide-range of technology. This helps it to offer better remote control options. HomeKit support enables you to Control the lock through an Apple Hub. Another option is to use Z-Wave Hubs to control the lock. This is done through the Wink or SmartThings Hub. There are also other devices like the August Connect and the August Doorbell Cam Pro help to connect to the home WiFi network for remote control. Schlage Sense and August Connect are similar in nature. The August Connect acts as a bridge. It enables the August Smart Lock Pro to sustain the battery life. You can get the August Connect as a part of the August Smart Lock Pro Kit. The August Doorbell Cam Pro will also control the August Smart Lock remotely. You will be able to see who is at your doorstep. The doorbell is a good investment since it pairs well with the smart lock.
Winner: August Smart Lock Pro
3. Set-Up Procedure
Schlage Sense: Schlage Sense takes a little more time to install when compared to August Smart Lock Pro. You have to replace all your traditional locks. This includes both the internal as well as the external parts of the lock. It is important to pay close attention to the installation procedure. Any mistake might result in the malfunction of the lock. It is advisable to rope in a professional for the installation of the Schlage Sense. The installation procedure might take around an hour to finish. But, the lock can be used with any normal residential door.
August Smart Lock Pro: The August Smart Lock Pro requires you to replace only the interior parts of your standard locks. The installation procedure is easy and simple. You don’t have to replace the exterior parts of the lock. It can be done by the customer without the hassle of calling a professional. The installation procedure will take a maximum time of 10 minutes. The smart lock can be used on many types of exterior doors because they have single-cylinder deadbolt. The manual key can also be used for unlocking the August Smart Lock Pro.
Winner: August Smart Lock Pro.
4. Auto Lock Feature
Schlage Sense: The Schlage Sense is unlocked using the Schlage App. A user can also make us of Siri or a unique PIN code to unlock the lock. The “Lock” button on the keypad helps you to lock the door. This can be done via the app or through Siri also. The Auto-Lock feature is available for Schlage Sense. It activates within a time range of 15 seconds to 4 minutes.
August Smart Lock Pro: This product has both an Auto-Lock and Unlock feature. Based on your location, the smart lock automatically locks and unlocks your door. This means that when you set foot on your doorstep, August Smart Lock Pro will unlock itself. When you leave the house, it will auto-lock itself. There is only one concern that might become an issue for users. You might accidentally get locked out of your house without your keys. But, even in such a case, there is a way out. You have to login to your August account. This can be done via any device. This helps you to unlock your front door. There is also the safety of having a backup key, just in case. You can also disable the Auto-Lock feature if you are uncomfortable with it.
Winner: August Smart Lock Pro.
Schlage Sense: The security provided by Schlage Sense locks is undeniable. It is a Grade 1 lock. Grade 1 refers to the highest residential security rating. Schlage Sense has a built-in alarm too. The alarm can be triggered by brute force. This means that whenever someone enters incorrect codes into your lock, the alarm will sound off. If any part of the lock is forced open, you will get an alarm from the Schlage Sense Smart Lock.
August Smart Lock Pro: We mentioned earlier how the August Smart Lock Pro only replaces the interior part of the lock. The security of the lock depends upon the exterior parts of the existing lock. A Grade 1 deadbolt will help in increasing the security provided by the August Smart Lock Pro.
Winner: Schlage Sense.
6. Door Sense Technology
Schlage Sense: Smart Locks are very useful to home-owners. But, this does not imply that they don’t come with their own drawbacks. An example of this is that sometimes the smart locks tend to activate when the door is left open. This means that lock is “locked”, when in fact it is not. This is a common problem with the Schlage Sense. Unfortunately, Schlage Sense does not have any mechanism to counter this common problem in its smart lock.
August Smart Lock Pro: The August Smart Lock Pro has something called the Door Sense Technology. This feature allows you to check if your door is locked or unlocked. You can even see if your door is closed or open. The August App sends notifications whenever the door is ajar or the lock hasn’t been activated. The app monitors your door throughout the day. This ensures that your house remains protected 24/7.
Winner: August Smart Lock Pro.
7. Sharing Of Access
Schlage Sense: The Schlage Sense smart lock consists of a built-in keypad. The keypad can store more than 30 unique codes. These codes can be shared with your family, friends or with guests. You don’t need a smartphone to use this feature. Smartphone users get virtual keys which also help you to share access to your Schlage Sense Lock.
August Smart Lock Pro: Though Schlage Sense provides access to different users, The August Smart Lock Pro has an advantage in this scenario. August Smart Lock Pro has an unlimited sharing option. All you have to do is send an invitation to download the August App. Once the recipient has downloaded the app, he can be given access to the lock. You will also be able to set the level of access and the access schedule according to your requirements. For people without smartphones, The August Smart Keypad helps in providing access to users.
Winner: August Smart Lock Pro.
Schlage Sense: The Schlage Sense WiFi Adapter is the most obvious accessory that comes to mind. It increases the smart lock’s capabilities by providing remote control access. Schlage Sense also comes with a range of levers, handles, knobs, etc. You can match these according to the type of Schlage Sense lock you have. They come as a part of the Schlage Sense Smart Lock Kit.
August Smart Lock Pro: The August Smart Locks also have an interesting set of accessories. You can get the August Smart Keypad. It is a wireless keypad that can be placed anywhere near the August Smart Lock. The keypad can be used to create more than 200 PIN codes for sharing access. The keypad is a great investment because it is easy to install and it has excellent memory capacity.
Winner: August Smart Lock Pro.
9. IFTTT Compatibility
Schlage Sense: You may be wondering what IFTTT is? IFTTT stands for IF This Then That. It is an application that allows users to build a smart home. This is done by connecting all the various devices inside your home. Schlage Sense does not provide support to IFTTT. This means that you will not be able to connect the lock to many devices at the same time. This may prove to be a hindrance to any user who is looking to build a smart home.
August Smart Lock Pro: August Smart Lock Pro is compatible with IFTTT. You can use the app to connect to devices like Wemo or Philips Hue. With this feature, it becomes easy to perform tasks like turning on or off the lights, etc.
Winner: August Smart Lock Pro.
Schlage Sense vs. August Smart Lock Pro : Similarities
1. Front Door Locking Mechanism
Schlage Sense and August Smart Lock Pro allow you to lock your front door even if you are standing at your porch. You can also unlock your door.
2. Sharing Of Access
Both the smart locks allow you to share access to users who have your permission. This can be done via the applications of either products. You will also be able to keep a track of who is entering and leaving your home.
3. Pairing With Other Devices
August Smart Lock Pro and Schlage Sense can be paired with other devices as well. For example, you can connect the locks to your smartphone via Bluetooth. This helps to provide total control over your smart lock.
4. Alerting System
The smart locks have an alert system in place. They send alerts if there is any unauthorized access or forced damage on the locks.
5. Bluetooth & WiFi Connectivity
Both the locks provide easy connection to a wireless network. You can also use Bluetooth to connect the smart lock to your smartphone.
6. Battery Operated
Schlage Sense and August Smart Lock Pro require batteries in order to function. They can also be paired with both Apple HomeKit and Amazon’s Alexa.
7. Standard Key
When you buy either of the products, you will get an add-on of a standard key. Standard Key works just as well as any code used in the smart locks. They also have the option of using touchscreen or push-buttons to operate the lock.
Schlage Sense: Product Features & Technical Specifications
- Hands-free voice control requires Schlage Sense WiFi Adapter and Alexa device (sold individually)
- Free iOS and Android smartphone app lets you manage codes, set schedules and view usage history
- Lock and unlock from anywhere by pairing with the Schlage Sense WiFi Adapter (sold separately)
- Deadbolt – Schlage Sense Smart Lock provides a premium experience of having a smart lock in your house. It is a motorized bolt that locks and unlocks the deadbolt smoothly. The deadbolt is actually very stylish. It is designed to blend in perfectly with your home.
- Keypad –The lock can be opened by typing the code on the keypad. It is available as part of the Schlage Sense Kit.
- Guest Access – Access can be granted to anyone as per the users requirements. Up to 30 codes can be provided for accessing the lock.
- Functionality & Design – The Schlage Sense has a very unique look. It is available in copper, satin nickel, and matte black as well. The handle on the outside is curved. This design looks good on every door.
- Schlage Sense WiFi Adapter – The WiFi Adapter provides remote control access to the users.
- Compatibility – Schlage Sense is compatible with Apple HomeKit, Google Home and Amazon Alexa. You can control the lock using your voice as well. Schlage Sense can be connected to your smartphone via Bluetooth.
- Items In A Box- Schlage Sense is designed to make life easier and convenient. The Schlage Sense lock requires batteries, which can be purchased separately. When you buy the Schlage Sense Kit, you will get the lockset and the hardware components. The installation instructions will also be available. The product measures 4.5 x 3 x 8 inches and weighs 3.4 pounds. It has a lifetime mechanical warranty and an electrical warranty of 3 years.
August Smart Lock Pro: Product Features & Technical Specifications
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- Control and monitor your door from anywhere. Lock and unlock your door, control keyless access and keep track of who...
- Be sure you're secure with DoorSense. Only August has DoorSense to tell you if your door is securely closed and locked
- Compatibility – August Smart Lock Pro is compatible with Android and IOS. It is also capable of connecting to smart speakers like Google Home and Amazon’s Alexa. You can also make use of the Apple HomeKit or Apple HomePod. It is compatible with Comcast Xfinity. You can connect to the smart lock using the Bluetooth on your smartphone. Voice control is a major feature of the August Smart Lock Pro.
- Functionality & Design – August Smart Lock Pro has a very beautiful design. It is round in shape and it comes in two colors i.e. black and silver. The lock functions as a deadbolt to your house.
- Guest Access – The August Smart Lock Pro Application allows you to grant access to whomever you want. August Smart Lock Pro users can grant access to an unlimited number of guests.
- Keypad – Touchscreen Keypad and standard keys are available for August Smart Lock Pro. They grant ease of access to users.
- Items In A Box – August Smart Lock Pro will help you to lock or unlock your door from anywhere. It requires 4 AA batteries, which are included in the box. Apart from the lock itself, the box also included an August Connect WiFi Bridge, DoorSense Sensor, Lock Adapter. It also comes with mounting hardware. August Smart Lock Pro measures 3.4 x 2.2 x 3.4 inches and weighs 13.9 ounces. It has a manufacturer’s warranty of 1 year.
Schlage Sense: Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Type Of Battery Should Be Used For Schlage Sense?
It is recommended to use alkaline batteries Lithium or rechargeable batteries may not produce the desired effect. Schlage Sense requires 4 AA batteries.
2. How Many Codes Can Be Created?
The keypad will be able to store up to nineteen four-digit user codes. It can also store an additional six-digit programming code.
3. What Do We Do If We Want To Revoke Access?
Access codes are used to grant access to different users. You can generate access codes through the Schlage Sense app. If you want to revoke access, then all you have to do is hit the “Disable” button on the app.
4. Is Schlage Sense Compatible with Google Home?
Yes, it is compatible with Google Home. Schlage Sense is also compatible with Apple HomeKit, Alexa, Google Assistant and Yonomi.
August Smart Lock Pro: Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which Deadbolts Are Compatible With August Smart Lock Pro?
August Smart Lock Pro is compatible with any single cylinder deadbolts.
2. Is An August Smart Lock Pro Weatherproof?
The locks are tested to withstand different weathers. But, they cannot be termed as weatherproof. They are to be used indoors.
3. Does August Smart Lock Pro support a Physical Key?
Yes, August Smart Lock Pro supports physical keys. A key from the original deadbolt can be used to unlock the lock in a regular fashion.
4. Is August Smart Lock Pro Compatible With IOS and Android?
Yes, August Smart Lock Pro is compatible with almost all IOS and Android devices. It is compatible with Apple HomeKit, Google Home and Amazon’s Alexa.
Schlage Sense and August Smart Lock Pro are pretty ahead of their competition in the smart locks space. They provide a reliable and affordable solution to home security concerns. You also have the option of using a standard key as well. But, overall August Smart Lock Pro is a better fit for consumers looking to build a smart home.