Home Security is one of the most prioritized concern for everyone and the first barrier that any intruder would have to cross is the front door. Hence, taking extra measures to make sure it is safe is very important. With a rise in Smart Home technology, smart locks are one of the most popular items in the market.
In this article, we shared the detailed side by side comparison between two such products, Schlage Connect and August Smart Lock. Both of these products are quite popular due to which selecting the best one for your home can be a bit confusing. We have covered all the differences and similarities between these products and come up with a final verdict regarding which one of the two would be best for you.
Although August Smart Lock provides several over Schlage Connect like its Doorsense technology, an auto-unlock feature, and unlimited access codes, Schlage Connect wins due to its excellent security provision. It provides a Grade-1 lock and has both interior and exterior installation requirements, thus increasing your security manifold. Furthermore, its compatibility with a wider range of smart devices and its compatibility with Smart Home technologies make it a worthy buy for your house.
Schlage Connect Vs. August Smart Lock Pro: Comparison Chart
|Product||Schlage Connect||August Smart Lock Pro|
|Dimensions||5.12 x 4.5 x 9.25 inches||3.4 x 3.4 x 2.2 inches|
|Wireless||iOS & Android Compatibility Wi-Fi Support Bluetooth||iOS & Android Compatibility Wi-Fi Support Bluetooth|
|Integrated Technology||Z-wave||Z-Wave Plus Bluetooth Apple Home Kit|
|Smart Home Compatibility||Amazon Alexa SmartThings Wink||HomeKit compatibility allows you to pair it with third-part products|
|Monitoring Reports||Daily and monthly||Daily and monthly|
|Installation||Interior and Exterior||Interior|
|Warranty period||3 years||2 years|
|Remote Control||Z-wave||Z-Wave Hub or Doorbell Cam Pro or Apple Home Hub or August Connect|
|Shared Access||Maximum 30 codes can be shared||Unlimited codes can be shared|
|Keypad||Touchscreen keypad present||Buttons-keypad Sold separately|
|Door Sense Technology Present||No||Yes|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
With the dimensions of 5.12 x 4.5 x 9.25 inches, Schlage Connect is quite larger than August Smart Lock, but this doesn’t affect its beauty in any way. The product is available in two different colors of Satin nickel and Aged bronze which are quite aesthetically pleasing.
August Smart Lock Pro
August Smart Lock Pro is a cylindrical device with the dimensions of 3.4 x 3.4 x 2.2 inches. It looks more compact than Schlage Connect and is available in two different colors of silver and dark grey. Although it is quite heavy with a weight of 13.9 oz., it is a smart way of increasing the beauty of your house.
Schlage Connect is quite easy to install and takes about 30-40 minutes of your time. The Schlage Connect mobile app provides a step by step guide to install the lock which makes it quite easy for even a first-timer to follow. Although one of the disadvantages of Schlage Connect is that it replaces both the interior and exterior parts of your lock which may turn out to be a problem. Asking for professional help could prove to be more helpful under these circumstances.
August Smart Lock ProAugust Smart Lock takes only about 15 minutes to install and is quite easier than Schlage Connect. This is because that it replaces the interior part of your standard lock due to which you won’t have to work with the other parts. Hence, this makes the entire setup process quicker and simpler than Schlage Connect.
3. Smart Home Compatibility
Schlage ConnectSchlage Connect flawlessly with a majority of smart home devices such as Amazon Alexa, SmartThings, and Wink. Thus, if you are leaving your home, you can customize it in a way that you can automatically lock your home each time you leave your house.
August Smart Lock Pro
Although August Smart Lock Pro does not integrate well with third-party products, you can connect it to your HomeKit and pair it with other products. You can also pair it well with other August products.
4. In-Home and Remote Control
One of the major disadvantages of Schlage Connect is that it behaves like a standard lock with keypad unless it is connected with a Smart Home. Once it is paired with a Z-hub, you can use the app to arm/disarm the lock, share access, and check the lock’s status and activity anytime and anywhere.
August Smart Lock Pro
One of the major advantages of August Smart Lock is that it uses Bluetooth to connect to your smartphone for in-home control. Although for remote control, you can either use August Connect to pair with your home’s Wi-Fi network or pair your August lock with an Apple Hub or Z-Wave hub.
With a rating of Grade 1, the Schlage Connect is one of the most secure locks available in the market. The alarm not only protects the door from forced entries, but it also has vibration sensors due to which if anyone tries to break the door by kicking it, the alarm will go off.
August Smart Lock Pro
Unlike Schlage Connect, August Smart Lock does not provide exterior protection due to which you will have to mostly depend on the security system of your existing deadbolt.
6. Shared Access
One of the disadvantages of Schlage Connect is that it provides a maximum of 30 access codes. Due to this, you can share only up to 30 access codes with your friends and family members.
August Smart Lock Pro
Another advantage of August Smart Lock Pro is that there is an unlimited number of access codes provided due to which you can issue as many invitations as you want.
7. Schlage Connect And August Smart Lock Pro
- One of the biggest advantages of August Smart Lock Pro is that it offers the Doorsense technology which gives you the lock’s status instead of giving you the door’s status.
- Another advantage of August Smart Lock Pro is that it has an Auto Unlock feature that senses your phone’s geo-location and unlocks the door as soon as you are around. Unlike Schlage Connect, you won’t have to enter your pin or look for the keys.
- One of the other advantages of August Smart Lock Pro is that it is compatible with Bluetooth, HomeKit, and Z-Wave Plus technology. Hence, it provides a wide variety of smart features, unlike Schlage Connect which only works with Z-Wave technology.
- Both Schlage Connect and August Smart Lock Pro are smart locks that allow you total control over your house without requiring any physical keys for entry or exit.
- One of the major similarities between these two products is that you can share the access codes with your friends and family. Schlage Connect provides only 30 codes, whereas August Smart Lock Pro access codes can be shared unlimited times.
- Both Schlage Connect and August Smart Lock Pro provide wireless connectivity with iOS & Android and are compatible with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
- Both of these devices provide a monitoring report on a daily and monthly basis due to which you will never miss who comes in and gets out of your house.
Features And Technical Specifications Of Schlage Connect
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately)
- Touch Screen keypad and lock cylinder on exterior and thumb turn interior. Door thickness range is 1.37 to 1.75 standard
- Stores up to 30 personalized user codes at a time
- Name Of The Product: Schlage Connect
- Dimensions Of The Product:
- Color Of The Product: Satin Nickel or Aged Bronze colors available
- Style Of The Product:Camelot
- Power And Connectivity:4 AA Batteries (Included) for power
- Z-Wave connectivity supported
- Wireless Compatibility:iOS & Android Compatibility, Wi-Fi Support, Bluetooth, Alexa Support Available
- Keypad:Touch-screen keypad present
- Grade Of Deadbolt:BHMA/ANSI Grade 1 certified deadbolt present
- The Number Of Shared Access:Maximum 30 access codes present
- Setup And Installation Requirements:For hardware installation: Door thickness range is 1.37 to 1.75 inches standard
- Warranty Period:3-years
Features And Technical Specifications Of August Smart Lock Pro
- Connect your August smart lock to Alexa to Lock, unlock and check lock status. Alexa can also provide notifications when...
- Keep your existing lock and keys; Simply attaches to your existing deadbolt on the inside of your door; Install in under...
- Grant family, friends or the dog walker unlimited access or limit it for a few weeks, hours, or minutes
- Name Of The Product:August Smart Lock Pro
- Dimensions Of The Product:3.4 x 3.4 x 2.2 inches
- Weight Of The Device:13.9 oz.
- Style Of The Product:Smart Lock
- Color Of The Product:Silver and dark grey colors available
- Product Description:Z-Wave and Bluetooth Retrofit Smart Lock
- Power Requirements:4 AA batteries required, included in the box
- Wireless Compatibility:iOS & Android Compatibility, Wi-Fi Support, Bluetooth, Alexa Support Availabl
- Setup Requirements:August App, Smartphone with Bluetooth service, Deadbolt Lock
- The Number Of Shared Access:Unlimited access codes present
- Warranty Period:2-years
What’s In The Box
1. Schlage Connect
- Schlage Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt With Built-In Alarm,
- 4-AA Batteries,
- User Guide,
- 1 Backup Key,
- Installation Guide
2. August Smart Lock Pro
- August Smart Lock Pro
- DoorSense™ Sensor
- 4 AA Batteries
- Lock Adapter & Mounting Hardware
FAQs About Schlage Connect And August Smart Lock Pro
Yes, you can either unlock your door with a key or through your phone. There is a deadbolt present if you want to open your door in an old-fashioned way.
Yes, the August Smart Lock Pro is compatible with Apple’s HomeKit, which not only integrates the lock with the rest of your smart home setup but also offers an additional layer of security for your door.
The first generation lock lasts approximately for about 6 months and the second generation lock lasts for about 3 months.
The technology used by August Smart Lock is called Z-Wave. This technology is compatible with the SmartThings hub.
To reset your August Smart Lock, first you will have to initiate the default. Then, press the lock settings button and scroll down to factory reset. Finally, press the reset button and confirm the reset.
To connect Schlage Lock to Z-Wave, enter your 6-digit programming code and wait for the device to beep three times. Then, press the Schlage button. And then press 0. Finally, the Schlage button will blink three times to confirm.
Yes, all of the Schlage Connect Locks are compatible with Alexa. But to utilize the Schlage Connect Lock via Alexa-enabled devices, you will have to connect the deadbolt to Wink or Samsung SmartThings Hub.
Yes, Schlage Connect does have the auto-lock feature. When this feature is enabled, the lock automatically relocks itself after 30 seconds.
Both Schlage Connect and August Smart Lock are great options for deadbolt locks. They not only increase the security of your house but also helps it to become a smarter home. Although August Smart Lock Pro provides several advantages when compared to Schlage Connect, the fact that it is Grade-1 security certified along with being compatible with many Smart Home integrations make it a winner.