Upgrading your home’s old thermostat with a new smart one can benefit you in many ways. Here comes the two best smart thermostats out in the market. The Emerson Sensi and Nest both provide you comfort and save energy. Yet choosing the one for you is quite a headache. So in this article, we will compare the two smart gadgets. So you can choose which one will suit your smart home and pay for your electricity bill.
Comparison Chart – Sensi Vs Nest
Sensi Vs Nest
|Dimensions||5.6*3.4*1.1 inches||3.3*3.3*1.21 inches|
|Colours||White||Copper, stainless steel, White, Black|
|Automatic Scheduled Learning||No||Yes|
|Remote Sensors Present||No||Nest Temperature Sensor Nest Protect|
|Detailed Energy Usage Reports||No||Yes|
|Support from Apple HomeKit||Yes||No|
|Support from Amazon Alexa||Yes||Yes|
|App Support||Compatible with both iOS and Android||Compatible with both iOS and Android|
|Display||LCD Square shaped with buttons||Round colourful dispaly with dial|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
A good device is one which has an easy to read display and adds a great aesthetic detail.
The Emerson Sensi comes with a 4.3 in full colour 272*480 pixel display. The flexible lighting option changes colour according to your system heating or cooling. You can change temperature using the touch screen or via your mobile app.Another version of Sensi comes with buttons to control room temperature.
Nest comes with a 480*480 pixel 24 bit LCD screen. It has mobile app and a dial around the screen to control room temperature. It also has a Farsight feature that lights up the screen on sensing movement.
2. Environment Learning
The best feature of Nest is the automatic environment learning feature. Nest remembers the temperatures you set at specific times throughout the day and programs itself based on your patterns. It will observe your adjustments for a week or two. Then it will control your room temperature the way you manually do it. This saves a lot of money and energy. It also comes with an Eco mode. A leaf symbol appears on the screen when you set your Nest in this mode. It detects when you enter and leave the house using your phone location and sensors. Then it adjusts the temperature accordingly. You can view energy usage in the app’s energy history and monthly home reports. The Nest Leaf feature will also guide you in the right direction on how to save energy.
Sensi also comes with GeoFencing feature that uses your smartphone’s location to adjust your thermostat. Unlike the Nest, it does not give monthly energy reports. But it provides energy saving tips, news and more.
Smart features come at a price, and Nest is a true example of that. With Nest Leaf, FarSight, and monthly energy usage reports, Nest can pay for itself. But you have to invest more initially if you want all these features. But if you are looking for budget buy, Sensi is the best fit for you. Yet Nest can actually end up being less expensive over time, which will be reflected in your electricity bill.
Both Nest and Emerson Sensi can be controlled using mobile apps. Their apps are compatible with both iOS and Android. There comes a difference when it comes to controlling your thermostat using Apple HomeKit. Sensi can be easily controlled via Apple HomeKit but not Nest. So if your smart home is Apple HomeKit automated, better go for Sensi.
5. Bluetooth Connectivity
Nest also features support for Bluetooth low energy unlike Sensi. Sending and receiving information via bluetooth can save a lot of energy. It will result in more savings if consistently used over time. Sensi does not come packed with this feature.
Sensi requires a C wire for power just like most thermostats. Nest comes with a built in battery. It charges using the heating and cooling wires, which the thermostat pulses occasionally to get a boost in power. A C wire will still be necessary depending on the heating and cooling setup of your system. Contact a professional HVAC technician to install a common wire if necessary.
7. ProtectionEmerson Sensi units are tamper-resistant. So you can plant them in public places without any fear. Unfortunately, the Nest does not come with such protection.
Nest opens up a number of TCP ports and starts sending data over a network due to its complex interface. Emerson Sensi interface is not that complex. So it does not open up ports except for a single IP address. This is an important parameter in deciding your future smart thermostat. Hackers can crack vulnerabilities if a number of TCP ports are open. This might give them access to your home Wi-Fi leading to serious consequences.
Sensi is a little bigger compared to Nest. It is about 5.6 * 3.4 * 1.1 inches. The Nest has a size of 3.3 * 3.3 * 1.21 inches. So if you are tight on space, Nest will get your work done without consuming much space.
Aesthetics is an important factor for a few. For those people, having a device that matches their home colour is of utmost importance. Nest offers more options than Sensi in this regard.
The main body of Nest is black. On that, it comes with finishes in white, copper, black, and stainless steel. On the other hand, Sensi is available either in black or white. It’s a greyish white kind of colour. So Sensi does not provide us much options in this regard.
Both the devices come with warranty to give you assurance in an event of malfunction. Emerson Sensi wins over Nest in this regard. Sensi offers you three years of warranty on their devices. Nest only assures you for two years.
12. Back Glow
Sensi comes with a backlight behind the thermostat that acts as a night lamp. It adds to a beautiful night lighting putting it ahead of Nest.
1. Wi-Fi Connectivity
You can connect both the thermostats via Wi-Fi. Both the providers have their apps on Play Store and App Store. So you can download their app and control your thermostat with ease.
2. Installation Process
Both the devices are very easy to install. It’s a DIY installation process that takes about thirty minutes for completion. The apps will guide you how to install. In case of any fault, the customer care service is always there to help.
3. Customer Care Service
Both the products have excellent customer care service. Call them anytime in case of a fault, and they will get it fixed. The attitude of the service providers is also very nice and helpful. They are also technically sound and will guide you in the right direction.
4. Alexa Connectivity
Alexa can control both the devices. Voice command your Alexa and it will set your room temperature as per your command.
5. Parental Lock
Both the devices have parental lock features, so that kids cannot tamper temperature settings. Emerson Sensi uses a parental lock switch, when pressing other random switches won’t affect your thermostat. Nest on the other hand uses a 4-digit pin to secure your device from kids.
6. Smart Monitoring
If you want to control your HVAC through desktop or laptop, you can go for a browser-based solution
Features And Specifications Of Emerson Sensi
- It weighs approximately one pound.
- It has dimensions of 5.6 * 3.4 * 1.1 inches
- Comes with GeoFencing feature to adjust your thermostat using your smartphone location
- Circulating fan :- Adjusts air circulation to improve air quality. It also prevents buildup of particles and mould.
- Alerts you in case of extreme temperatures and humidity changes
- Provides tips on energy saving and temperature reports
- You can program it according to your schedule using your app.
- Comes in two variants. A touchscreen one and a buttons one. The touchscreen is a bit more expensive than the buttons one
- Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Apple HomeKit and Wink smart home platforms
- Remotely control your smart thermostat via your smartphone or tablet. The free Sensi mobile app available on iOS and Android devices can do this with ease.
- Easy DIY installation with the help of the mobile app. It takes less than thirty minutes to install. Step by step instructions are available on the app.
- The innovative mobile app configures the settings for your home
- Flexible Scheduling : You can custom schedule your Sensi according to your preference for different weeks
- Comes with three years of warranty
- System compatibility requires C-wire
- Comes with backlight included for beautiful night lighting
- Comes with parental lock so that kids do not tamper your temperature settings
- Available in white and black colours
- The 4.3 in screen changes colour according to your system is heating or cooling
- Excellent customer care service. They guide you in the right direction in case of any technical glitches
Features And Specifications Of Nest
- Item weight is approximately 1 pound
- Product dimensions are 3.3 * 3.3 * 1.2 in
- 24 Volts supply voltage and 0.234 watts power consumption
- Auto Schedule : Learns your temperature settings by observing for a week or two. Then it sets your room temperature according to your settings. You can also configure manually if you want in exceptional cases.
- Energy History : Provides you a detailed analysis of your past month energy consumption. Also gives you tips about how to save energy with your thermostat.
- A little more costly than Sensi, but it can pay for itself. With detailed energy consumption reports, it gives you the right direction towards using energy. This finally gets reflected in your electricity bill.
- Home/Away Assist : It uses smart sensors and your phone location to detect your presence in house. It then adjusts the temperature after you leave. So you don’t end up heating or cooling an empty home.
- Fast and Easy DIY installation : Nest offers easy DIY installation which takes less than thirty minutes to install. The free app provides detailed instructions about how to install your Nest. In case of any trouble, feel free to call their customer care service.
- Remote Control : Control your home temperature from anywhere in the world using their mobile app. Also you can go for browser based solution if you want to control through your laptop or desktop.
- Nest Thermostat works better with Nest Protect. When Nest Protect detects carbon monoxide gas, the thermostat then turns off the furnace. Furnaces are common sources of carbon monoxide leakage.
- Nest Leaf : Choose a temperature that saves energy, and you will see a leaf sign. It guides you in the right direction how to best use your thermostat to save energy. It controls your room temperature in case of your absence.
- FarSight : Smart sensors detect your presence in the room. Then it lights up the thermostat to display you the temperature, time, date, weather. The smart display changes colour according to heating or cooling of your system. Blue color when your system is cooling, and yellow while heating.
- Comes in various color options. Black is the primary colour. But it comes with silver, black, stainless steel and copper finishes. It adds to the aesthetics of your house.
- Controls include a round dial and their mobile app
- It can use bluetooth to send reports and data to your mobile. It will save your Wi-Fi energy with consistent use.
- Works with Amazon Alexa.
What Do You Get In Box?
- Electrical components and heating
- Thermostat accessories
- Installation Manual
- Specification sheet
- Optional trim kit
- Mounting screws and labels
- Nest screwdriver
- Installation guide
- Welcome guide
- Nest pro installation card
- Specification sheet
Overview Of Emerson SensiEmerson Sensi is a sleek looking thermostat that saves your energy bill to a huge extent. It is budget-friendly and super easy to install. It comes in touchscreen and a buttons variant. You can control it using the screen/buttons, mobile app, and other apps like Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Apple HomeKit, and Wink smart home app. You can schedule it on a day to day basis or according to weeks, through the app. It will adjust the room temperature according to your schedule. You can remotely control your room temperature using the free Android or iOS app. It can save you $180 on average per year. It connects to your home Wi-Fi and can display your weather, temperature, and date-time. The geoFencing feature detects your presence in your home and adjusts the temperature. It also comes with a backlight feature to decorate your room at night. It has a parental lock and excellent customer care service. Yet, it lacks some of the smart features, which is fine according to its price.
Overview Of NestNest smart learning thermostat is an apt name. It learns your temperature settings throughout the week and then adjusts your room temperature. It is a “pay for itself” device. Although priced high, it saves more energy when compared to Sensi. It uses your phone location and advanced sensors to detect your presence. Then it adjusts your room temperature, without wasting energy on an empty room. You can control it using its round dial, mobile app or Amazon Alexa. Nest Leaf feature adjusts your temperature settings to save more energy. It also provides tips on saving energy. It provides detailed reports of your past month energy usage, and tips to save energy. It is very small in size that can fit in any nook and corner of your room. It has a bright and colourful display that lights up when it detects your presence. It can send reports and data over bluetooth that further saves your energy. The free app also helps you with detailed instructions about installation. It also comes with a two year warranty and excellent customer care service.
1. Does the Nest box include wall plate?
Yes it does. Check out the custom circular plates.
2. Does the Nest thermostat work with 220V?
The nest will get its power from your furnace only, which is usually 5 volts. It does not need power from a receptacle. You should confirm that your furnace is compatible with your nest first using their online comparability chart.
3. Does this show temperature in Fahrenheit?
Yes it does
4. Does the Emerson Sensi come with the capability of showing temperature chart for the past twelve hours?
Usage data is currently unavailable in Sensi
5.Will Sensi work with oil heat and gas furnace?
The Sensi works great with central air with gas furnace.
6.Is the Sensi energy star rate?
The Emerson Sensi is a great thermostat which saves you huge money and is budget-friendly. But it lacks some of the smart features like learning your settings. So go for Sensi if you are budget concerned. But if you want the best energy savings, go for Nest. The nest is only an initial investment, as the energy it saves pays for itself. Apple users should not go for Nest. But all in all, Nest is the best choice out of the two if we keep the budget aside for some time.