We will review both the brands and further analyze them to declare a clear winner between the two. Before discussing some of their significant features, we would like to share our take on them. This would help you understand which product is worthy of buying.
Honeywell Lyric T5 Vs. Nest Learning Thermostat – Comparison Chart
|Specifications||Honeywell T5||Nest Learning Thermostat|
|Dimensions||4.6”x 4.6”||3.3” x 3.3”|
|Hardware Color||Black||White, copper, Black, and Stainless Steel.|
|Remote Sensors||No||Nest Protect, Nest Temperature Sensor|
|Power||Requires C-Wire||Works with or without C-Wire|
|Learning habits over Time||No||Yes|
|Amazon Alexa Integration||Yes||Yes|
|Google Assistant Support||No||Yes|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
The basic differences between both the brands become clear with the comparison chart. For a detailed understanding, we would further discuss their individual and distinct features.
1. Color And DesignHoneywell Lyrix T5 isn’t very attractive in its appearance. It has a drab, plastic design that is grey in color. The screen of the device trends more towards monochrome. It has the design of a digital alarm clock. Nest Learning Thermostat is the most attractive one between the two. It has a sleek design and a sharper display. It comes in many colors that make it look versatile and timeless. Nest Thermostat beats Honeywell Lyric T5 in the feature color and design.
2. Remote Sensors
The Honeywell Lyric T5 doesn’t work with sensors. The only thing it can do is measure the temperature of the room in which it is installed. This device also doesn’t support Universal Input for both indoor and outdoor sensors.
The Nest Thermostat also uses Nest Protect Smoke Plus Carbon Monoxide Detectors. It can sense temperatures in different rooms. These sensors are both very effective and expensive. You can also buy the Nest Temperature Sensors. It helps the temperatures between rooms can even out. Needless to say, Nest Learning Thermostat has the upper hand in this case as well.
The Honeywell Lyrix T5 requires a “C” wire in all cases. It is powered largely through 24 VAC power.Nest Learning Thermostat does not need a C-wire and has the ability to function without it. Instead, it has a built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery, on which it runs.
The charging of this battery requires heating and cooling of ours attached to the device. So, this device will work for some time during a power outage. Then completely shut off making it unusable till charged. In case of an odd heating and cooling behavior after installation, might need you to use a C-wire.
4. Smart Home Integration
The Lyric T5 functions with Apple HomeKit and Amazon Alexa. This is to get greater smart home benefits. But, it does not support Google Home, Samsung SmartThings, Wink, and IFTTT.
The Nest Thermostat is only compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Wink, and IFTTT. It doesn’t support Google Homekit. SmartThings integration in this device is achievable only through the custom setup. The programmer in the SmartThings Developer Community has created this. Again, it becomes clear that Nest is the clear winner in this case.
Size matters for the aesthetics of placing the device in your home. There isn’t much of a difference between the two devices when it comes to size. The size of Lyric T5 is 4.06” x 4.06” whereas the size of Nest is 3.3” x 3.3”. Lyric T5 is a bit larger than Nest Thermostat.
6. PriceNest Thermostat is fully-featured, more attractive, and better than Lyric T5. You can go for Lyric T5 only for its price; otherwise, Nest Learning is a complete package.
When it comes to how much similar these two brands are, there isn’t much to explore. They are quite different from each other. Both Honeywell Lyric T5 and Nest Learning Thermostat share the following similarities-
- Both of these brands share the feature of Wi-Fi connectivity.
- These devices include the iOS application.
- You can control both the devices are integrated with Amazon Alexa.
- They lack SmartThings Integration.
- Using your Smartphone, you can control your devices when away from home.
- Both Honeywell Lyric T5 and Nest Learning Thermostat have a built-in humidity sensor.
- Both these devices share the ability to set a schedule for your heater as well as an air conditioner.
Features And Specifications Of Honeywell Lyric T5
- The Lyric T5 is fully compatible with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, IFTTT, Cortana and other ecosystems
- 7-Day Flexible Scheduling or Location Based Temperature control (GeoFencing)
- Adaptive recovery learns how long it takes to achieve the right temperature at the right time and automatically runs...
The features for the device Honeywell Lyric T5 are discussed in detail below:
- Geofencing – It is a location-based automatic operation. It uses your home to perform both customized Home settings and Away Settings.
- One Thermostat, Multi-Users – You can at first set your device the way you desire. Only then various members of your house can use it.
- Adaptive Operation- It can offer you the right temperature all the time. It can also learn your heating and cooling cycle.
- Touch Mode – This device can adjust your current temperature. It can also adjust operating mode, and fan settings using your phone.
- Compatibility with Devices – This device is compatible with both Apple and Android devices.
Features And Specifications Of Nest Learning Thermostat
- Programmable smart thermostat that learns your schedule and the temperatures you like and programs itself to help you...
- Home/Away Assist automatically adjusts itself to an Eco Temperature after you leave, so you don’t heat or cool an...
- Remote control lets family members change the temperature from anywhere on a phone, laptop, or tablet The Nest Leaf...
- Auto-Schedule – This device automatically learns about your desired temperature and programs it well.
- Nest Leaf – This leaf indicates energy-saving mode for the chosen temperature.
- Auto-away – The Thermostat is able to turn itself off automatically when you’re away. So it allows you to avoid heating and cooling of an empty room.
- Farsight – This feature helps your device to spot you from across the room. Then it soon lights up to show you the temperature and time you have set.
What You Get With Each Box
Honeywell Lyric T5
- Honeywell Lyric T5 Wi-Fi Thermostat
- Installation Guide
- Honeywell Standard 16 Connector
- Mounting screws and Anchors
Nest Learning Thermostat
- Installation guide
- Heat Link
- Trim Plate
- Power plug
- Power cord
Yes, you can adjust the temperature manually at the thermostat. A: Yes, you can manually adjust the temperature at the thermostat. But, only Lyric App can manage location-based temperature control (geofence technology). It cannot function without a Wi-Fi connection. The thermostat can also do an automatic reconnect to Wi-Fi once the network is restored.
Yes, you can set up your thermostat with multi-users. So, to do add users, you need to log into the Lyric app and then tap the menu icon in the upper-left corner. You must then select Manage Users, then tap Add User. Finally, type in the email addresses of the people you’d like to invite. If they already have a Lyric account set up, then thermostat and its location will get added there as well. If they don’t have an account, they’ll receive an email. This is to prompt them to download the Lyric app and create a new account.
You can access the buttons under the front panel of your thermostat and then choose system mode. To override a locked thermostat, you need to press the hold button down for five seconds. This would allow you to restart the thermostat at your desired temperature.
The Nest Temperature Sensor is known for working with the same systems of the thermostat. These systems of thermostat are the ones that you have installed. If you are a current user of a Nest thermostat, you would be compatible with the Nest Temperature Sensor. The system type would not matter.
You can easily control Nest Thermostat, once you add your Google Nest thermostat to the app. You can do it even when you are not at home. You need to adjust the temperature, change settings, see your Energy History, and more.
Yes, the Nest Thermostat can work without Wi-Fi. But, you will not get the full experience unless it’s connected to your home LAN. For example, you will not be able to control it remotely or connect it to other devices. Nest strongly recommends that you keep the thermostat connected to Wi-Fi.
Both of these thermostats have their own individual distinct features and functionalities. You can choose Honeywell Lyrix T5 for being simple and affordable. You can also select Nest Thermostat as it offers high-end features. This sets this device apart and makes it the best thermostat in the market.