If you have recently purchased Nest Protect for your house then you have made the smart choice to protect your home from accidental fire hazards. Now you must be wondering does Nest work with Apple HomeKit. If it doesn’t integrate then your investment goes in downhill. Don’t worry as I was in a similar situation I have figured out how this can be achieved.
Nest Protect works with Apple’s HomeKit but there is no direct you to integrate them both.It can be done by using a small device called Starling Home Hub.
If you have an iPhone with Siri connected with nest protect, you can ask, “What’s the smoke level in my house?” or give the command, “Stop the alarm.” Follow the step-by-step procedure to connect Nest Protect With Apple Homekit.
How To Integrate Nest Protect With Apple Homekit?
If you own a Nest Protect, you can connect it to your Apple Homekit-enabled home. This allows you to control your Nest Protect using Siri commands and receive notifications on your Apple device when the alarm goes off.
Please note that to use Homekit with the Nest Protect, it has been designed for a wired connection (Nest no longer supports wireless connectivity).
- Make sure that your home router supports 802.11b/g/n at 2.4 GHz.
- Ensure that your home router’s network name is set to the same name as on your Nest Protect.
- Ensure that your home router’s LAN connection is connected to your home’s wired network (wooden cable or electrical outlet).
- Enable the same WAN SSID as your Nest protect and leave it un-named to avoid conflict with other devices.
- Your wifi password should be identical to your network at home.
- Enable WPS and make sure it is active.
- Make sure that WPS is enabled on your Nest Protect by pressing the circular button on the back of the device for three seconds.
- After completing your configuration, download the Nest app and log in with your account credentials. The app will guide you through connecting your Protect to Homekit. Follow its instructions to continue your configuration process. You may need to restart your iPhone after the process has been completed.
Nest Protect is one of the most common devices installed in a home; it is used for many functions like keeping an eye on the property, protecting from burglary and fire, raising the alarm when triggered, etc. It also provides security by detecting movement in the room and turning on lights and appliances.
Does Nest Protect work with Apple Homekit?
The Nest Protect uses the Homekit home automation system available on many Apple products. The Nest Protect can control your home’s lights, thermostats, and plugs. However, you must use your iPhone or iPad to set up the device to work with Homekit.
Apple is a well-respected company that has tirelessly created innovative technology for its customers over decades of business. The Nest Protect, by contrast, is relatively new to the scene.
Is it possible that Nest Protect works with Homekit? Yes, it is. But how does this setup work?
To use the Nest Protect and Homekit together, your iPhone or iPad must run at least iOS 8.1. The Basics application in iOS 8.1 has several features that let you use your device to set up your Nest Protect for use with Homekit.
Additionally, your iPhone or iPad must be connected to the Internet at least once every 24 hours. Automatically linking to the Internet allows you to download Nest Protect updates and add them to your
Homekit system. Another thing that you must do is set up Apple’s Find My iPhone or Find My iPad apps on non-Apple phones and tablets as well as your iOS device.
The setup takes approximately 2 minutes and only takes one additional click or two taps on your iPhone or iPad after the initial setup is complete.
Or you can integrate your nest with any existing smoke detector that works with apple’s home kit.
Why Use Starling Home Hub For Integrating Nest With HomeKit?
The reasons are:
- It connects all Nest products to Apple’s HomeKit platform. Everything from Nest Thermostat to Nest Hello to Nest IQ Camera falls under this category.
- The hub is easy to set up and installs in just a few minutes. Within 15 minutes after unpacking, you can start using HomeKit to control your Nest gadgets.
- After you’ve installed it, you’ll never have to worry about it again. Compared to the intricacy of setting up a Homebridge on your PC, it’s truly a set-and-forget option. The only thing you have to do is upgrade your firmware when you are prompted to do so.
- It is considerate of your privacy. It does not gather any confidential or sensitive data from your network.
- It supports two-factor authentication and works with Google and Nest accounts.
- Almost any ordinary router will work with the hub. It, of course, works with mesh routers.
- It may be used with any Apple product introduced in the last five years, including the Apple Watch.
Moreover, you can also select a smart lock that works best with the apple home kit to maximize your home security.
What Can You Do with HomeKit Integration for Nest Protect?
- You can monitor the Nest Protect in your home from anywhere in the world.
- When smoke is detected, you’ll be notified.
- You will be notified when motion is detected in the area where the Nest Protect is mounted.
- Set up intelligent automation to do specified tasks when something is recognized.
- Inspect each smoke and carbon monoxide sensor in your home individually.
Is Your Nest Protects Privacy Protected While Using the Homebridge Hub?
To prevent any risks, Starling does not even have a cloud interface.
Even though the Starling Hub connects to your router, it has no access to your surfing history or passwords. It’s lovely to see that, while being a third-party solution, it follows Apple’s lead in terms of privacy protection.
Just like Nest, you can also Integrate your Apple home kit with Simplisafe.
Is Nest compatible with Apple?
The Starling Homebridge hub is compatible with all Apple devices released in the last five years. It even supports the most recent iOS 14, so you shouldn’t have any problems setting up the Starling Home Hub with any of your Apple devices.
Can Siri connect to Nest?
You can control your Nest Devices from Nest Temperature to Nest Protect and Nest Indoor Camera using Siri by using voice commands like “Hey Siri, set the thermostat to cool” by linking Nest to HomeKit using the Starling Home Hub.
Does Google Home work with Apple HomeKit?
Because Google is both a device manufacturer and an ecosystem supplier, Google Nest products do not support Apple HomeKit. Users of Apple HomeKit can utilize Nest devices with the Google Home or Nest applications. Still, they will miss out on the routines, scenes, automation, and integrations available with HomeKit-compatible solutions.
Here are the detailed steps to connect Homekit and your Nest Protect. Go through Google and YouTube videos for more information.