Luma and Orbi are WiFi routers, providing high-speed internet access to households. You can be confused while selecting the better one for your house. So we’re here to help you sort things out by comparing Luma Vs Orbi.
Orbi's performance is much better than Luma’s. If you want sophisticated designs, you may choose Luma. It has a compact design and is perfect for home decor. Also, Luma is cheaper than Orbi. This won’t matter unless you have a strict budget plan.
Luma Vs Orbi: Comparison Chart
|WiFi||IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac||IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac|
|Band||Dual-band Simultaneous||Tri-band Simultaneous|
|Processor||Quad-core 700 MHz||Quad-core 710MHz|
|Range (max)||3000 sq. ft.||5000 sq. ft|
|Subscription||Luma Guardian||Circle app, 90 days free premium trial|
|Available color(s)||Black, Gray, Orange, White||White|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
1. WiFi Connectivity
Luma is a dual-band router. Orbi is a tri-band one. So, Orbi allows much higher traffic with less congestion. Also, the long-range throughput of Orbi is much better. It’s 321.4 Mbps, while for Luma it’s only 70.5Mbps. Orbi is the winner.
Luma offers one device as a hub and others as satellites(all identical). The hub alone covers a range of 1500sq.ft. You may increase it to 3000sq.ft. on adding two satellites. Orbi can cover a range of 5000sq.ft. with only the hub and one satellite. Orbi is the winner here.
Good hardware ensures good performance. Luma has a quad-core 700Mhz processor and 256MB of RAM. External storage is 128MB. Orbi has a 710MHz processor with 512MB of RAM. External storage(flash) is 4GB. So, after all this, we do understand Luma isn’t up to the level.
4. Bridge Function
Luma has no bridge functionality, while Orbi has it. Bridge function allows the system to act as a separate system with the existing router. Thus, with Luma, you need to replace the existing setup. Such is not the case with Orbi. Orbi is the winner.
Luma has a cool, little body that can easily blend with the surroundings. It’s available in black, white gray and orange. Orbi, on the other hand, is bulkier. It won’t at all fit into the environment. If home decor is a priority, Luma is better.
6. SubscriptionsLuma provides its premium Luma Guardian. This provides quite several classic services. It has a Privacy VPN in its Stealth Mode. This encrypts your data, protecting you from malicious stuff. An antivirus, that can protect three devices at a time. An ISP speed monitoring shows your internet speed accurately. Now, Orbi has a Circle Subscription. This provides very powerful parental controls. Parental controls allow you to filter out things you don’t want to be accessed. These include violence, horror, adult content, etc. You can set time limits for usage of various sites. On the whole, there’s not much of a competition here. Still, Orbi is better for all the services it provides.
- Both Luma and Orbi make Mesh networks. This means they use multiple nodes to remove dead zones, or blind spots. Blind spots are where the wifi signal intensity is low. That is, you can’t access the internet at a blind spot. Mesh networking the routers removes such blind spots.
- Both can be accessed using Google Home and Amazon Echo Dot. This gives you voice control over the devices.
- Both support MU-MIMO. That is, multi-user, multi-input, multi-output. This ensures all the devices that are connected, gets optimal internet speed.
- Both come with their apps. These apps make control a lot easier.
Overview Of LumaLuma is a wi-fi router that is designed to meet the aesthetics. It’s ideal for providing excellent connectivity while maintaining home decor. With three identical units, one can be the hub where the other two become the satellites.
One unit measures 4.5in X 4.5in X 1in. This is plug-n-play, i.e. you plug in your ethernet to the hub, and you’re good to go. The three units together provide you internet access up to 300 square feet. In close quarters, Luma can have a WiFi speed of about 300Mbps. This may drop to about 80Mbps at longer distances. It works best when the broadband speed is about 50Mbps.
That’s pretty fast for most applications. It produces a mesh network. A mesh network helps remove blind spots. If you ever encounter a blind spot, you can remove it by relocating one or more satellites. A gap of 45 feet between two units is recommended.
- Aesthetic design
- Easy setup
- Discontinuity on operation
- Less area coverage
- Less speed
Overview Of Orbi
The Orbi from Netgear is truly one of the most powerful WiFi routers available. There’s the main hub, the Router; and a secondary hub, the Satellite. Equipped with WiFi 6 and FastLane3 technology, it can deliver top speeds of up to 900Mbps.
Streaming videos in 4K, gaming without lag, and high-speed surfing would be well satisfied. The mesh WiFi, with a dedicated Tri-band connection, ensures minimal blind spots across your house and provides fast enough internet connection to all of your devices. There’s also the Orbi app, that lets you monitor all activity, scan the internet for threats, and impose parental limitations.
You can also use Alexa or Google’s assistant to access it. A perfect WiFi package for a large family. This isn’t made for home decor, though. A pretty large device, this won’t blend with the surroundings.
- High speed
- Strong connection
- Smaller range,
- Tedious initial set-up
Features And Technical Specifications Of Luma
- Hardware: 1Gbps LAN ports X 2 on each unit
- Top performance: <=94.6Mbps
- Processor clock speed: 700Mhz
- RAM: 256MB
- Storage: 128MB
- WiFi specification: 802.11/ac Dual-band
- WiFi Chip: Qualcomm IPQ 4018
- Security: WPA2 encryption
- Antennas: 4, non-removable
Features And Technical Specifications Of Orbi
- Hardware: 1Gbps LAN ports X 4
- Network speed(wireless): <=900Mbps
- Processor clock speed: 710Mhz
- RAM: 512MB
- Storage: 4GB flash storage
- WiFi specification: 802.11/ac Tri-band
- WiFi Chip: Qualcomm IPQ4019
- Power Supply: USB2.0
- Security: WPA2 encryption
What’s In The Box?
- WiFi units
- Power adapter
- Orbi hubs
- Power adaptersx2,
- Ethernet cable X 1
1. Is the Orbi compatible with Comcast?
2. Is Orbi good for gaming?
Since most games require less than 10Mbps of internet speed, Orbi can handle games pretty well.
3. How many satellites can I connect to the Orbi?
The package comes with One Router and a satellite. However, up to 5 satellites can be connected.
4. What are the different Parental Controls available in Luma?
Luma provides three parental control settings: G rating – allows only kids’ content(cartoons, e.g. Disney and Nickelodeon)
PG – allows access to Google and Wikipedia, etc.
PG-13 – allows everything, but filters out violence, drugs, etc
R – filters out cyber threats, adult content etc.
5. Does Luma support wired backhaul?
Each Luma device has an “in” and an “out” RJ45 port. You can connect these using ethernet cables. This can increase internet speed significantly.
6. Does my existing modem require to support bridge mode for Luma?
As Luma doesn’t support bridge mode, it can work separately.
Leave a Reply