Internet connectivity has become a necessity in our lives. With more and more devices requiring fast internet access, wireless connectivity via WiFi is much needed. For this, Eero and Orbi are available. These are WiFi routers, providing high-speed internet access to households. Eero is owned by Amazon, while Orbi is Netgear’s. It is inevitable to be confused while selecting the better one for your house. So we’re here to help you sort things out and choose the best one Eero Vs Orbi.
If the size of the router is an issue, Eero is the way to go. If, on the other hand, internet speed is your priority, Orbi is better. The whole setup of Eero is beefier, and the setup is cumbersome, but you get a higher speed than what you would get in Orbi. Also, the range of Orbi is better. On the whole, for a regular household, Orbi is the way to go.
Eero Vs Orbi: Comparison Chart
Eero Vs Orbi
|AC WiFi speed||---||AC-2200|
|CPU clock||700 MHz||710 MHz|
|RAM||512 MB||512 MB|
|Storage||4 GB||256 MB|
|Coverage area per unit||1500 sq. ft.||2000 sq.ft|
|Total coverage area||5000 sq. ft.||4000 sq. ft.|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
- Eero can provide internet speed up to 550Mbps wireless, while Orbi can deliver up to about 900Mbps. Clearly, Orbi is more powerful
- Eero has a higher range, up to 5000 square feet, while Orbi delivers up to 4000 square feet only. Nothing significant, still less. Eero is the winner.
- Aesthetics: The Eero is small enough, and is practically unnoticeable. The Orbi is much larger, although its design won’t affect the aesthetics of your house. Still, Eero is better in this regard.
- WiFi connectivity in Eero is dual-band. For Orbi, it’s a tri-band. The Orbi, hence, provides a stronger and faster connection.
- Orbi can be operated vocally using the Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa. No such control is available as such for Eero.
- Both of these are mesh WiFi systems, i.e. they have multiple units that create a “web” throughout your house, leaving little or no blind spots.
- Both have their own control apps, with antivirus, firewall and other security features.
- Both have inbuilt antennas, unlike traditional routers which have those things poking out.
What You Get In The Box
Eero: Eero hubs X 3, power adapters X 3, Cat6 ethernet cable X 1, user manual
Orbi: Orbi hubs(router and satellite), power adapters X 2, ethernet cable X 1
Overview Of Orbi
The Orbi from Netgear is truly one of the most powerful WiFi routers available. There’s a main hub, the Router; and a secondary hub, the Satellite. Equipped with WiFi 6 and FastLane3 technology, it can deliver top speeds of upto 900Mbps. Streaming videos in 4K, gaming without lag and high speed surfing would be well satisfied. The mesh WiFi, with a dedicated Tri-band connection ensures minimal blind spots across your house, and provides fast enough internet connection to all of your devices. There’s also Orbi app, that lets you monitor all activity, scan the internet for threats, and impose parental limitations. You can also use Alexa or Google assistant to access it. A perfect WiFi package for a large family.
Overview Of Eero
The Eero is small, and simple. You just plug it in, and you’re good to go. Three units practically removes all blind spots in your house. Eero is smart too – it learns, over time, where your devices are, and optimises its range to give you the best possible performance, irrespective of your location in the house. It’s equipped with Knox, one of the best security patches, by default. There’s also Eero app, that lets you monitor all activity, scan the internet for threats, and impose parental limitations. It also has TrueMesh technology, which lets the WiFi “hop” across all sorts of barriers, like walls. This ensures no blind spot is formed. The Eero app keeps updating by itself, fixing bugs and learning “skills”. Eero, in a word, adjusts itself to the household like just another of its members.
Technical Specification Of Eero
- Hardware: Two Gigabit ports for WLAN
- Network speed (wireless): 550Mbps
- Network speed(wired): 1Gbps
- WiFi Specs:
- Dual band
- Simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5Ghz 2X2 MU-MIMO
- Processor clock speed: 700MHz
- RAM: 512MB
- Storage: 4GB flash
- Security and network services: WPA2 encryption, Family Profiles, DHCP, IPV6
- Electrical Requirements: 100-240V AC, 50-60Hz
Technical Specification Of Orbi
- Hardware: 1Gbps LAN ports X 4
- Network speed(wireless): <=900Mbps
- Processor clock speed: 710Mhz
- RAM: 512MB
- WiFi specification: 802.11/ac Tri-band
- WiFi Chip: Qualcomm IPQ4019
- Power Supply: USB2.0
- Security: WPA2 encryption
1. How many eeros do I need?
Depends on the area you want to cover. For areas upto 5000 sq. ft. with little obstacles, the basic 3 hub kit would work just fine. For higher requirements, we recommend upgrading your system.
2. How much does Eero WiFi cost monthly?
It’s free, unless you upgrade to eero Plus.
3. How secure is Eero?
Eero is secured by Knox. However, using external Firewalls is recommended.
4. Is the Orbi compatible with Comcast?
5. Is Orbi good for gaming?
Since most games require less than 10Mbps of internet speed, Orbi can handle games pretty well.
6. How many satellites can I connect?
The package comes with One Router and a satellite. However, upto 5 satellites can be connected.