The internet has also evolved to suit our needs. Internet speed is getting faster, data is becoming cheaper and what not. Routers play an important part in this process. A state-of-the-art router will relay the internet at the highest of speeds whereas outdated routers will hinder the speed. Choosing a router is a herculean task. There are a hundred different options available in the market. But, in the recent past, smart routers have become very prevalent. Customers looking to buy a smart router usually opt for options such as No products found. or Orbi Home Wi-Fi System. In this article, we will give you a detailed review of both eero and orbi, and let you know what is the better option for you.
Eero Home Wi-Fi System
No products found.
Eero consists of eero gateways and eero beacons. The gateways replace the regular routers. The beacons are placed in a tactical manner so that they work in-sync with the main hub. This helps eero to relay good quality WiFi throughout your home. Eero networks are very easy to set up. The No products found. device will connect to your modem. It will receive an internet connection because of this. After this, the eero beacons will beam the WiFi network. Eero networks have no dead spots. They can cover a pretty wide range too.
Orbi Home Wi-Fi System
Netgear is a company that is known for making great WiFi home systems. They provide some of the best smart WiFi systems in the market. Out of these various WiFi systems, there is one that stands out in particular i.e. The Orbi. The No products found. is a great option for home or small businesses looking to buy a router. It is a little similar to eero because of the fact that both of them use a mesh network to deliver speedy connections. The Orbi family consists of two main products:
- The Orbi – It is designed to work for residential purposes.
- The Orbi Pro – It is designed to work in office/work settings.
Orbi networks can also be set up with ease. The router is plugged into the modem. The Orbi app will provide you with a list of settings. You have to adjust the settings on the app and viola! Your orbi router is ready to use.
Eero Vs Orbi : The Verdict
A Comparison Chart
|WiFi Connectivity||Tri-band WiFi radios, 2.4GHz, 5.2GHz & 5.8GHz IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac||Tri-band WiFi radios, 2.4GHz, 5GHz IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac|
|Wired Connectivity||Two 1Gb ports WAN & LAN||1 WAN; 3 LAN; One 2.0 USB|
|Reduction of Dead Zones||Yes||Yes|
|Range||Up to 2000 sq.ft.||Up to 5000 sq.ft.|
|Subscription Package||Eero Plus||The Circle App|
|Dimensions||4.76 x 4.76 x 1.26 inches||8.9 x 6.7 x 3.1 inches|
|Guest Wi-Fi Support||Prsent||Present|
|Price||No products found.||Check Price|
No products found. and orbi tend to deliver consistent and fast WiFi. But, there are a few major differences between the two. WiFi radio IEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac and Tri-bands are present in both. But, the utilization of these frequencies by eero and orbi is where the differences start to show. The eero has 2.4GHz, 5.2GHz and 5.8GHz for better bandwidth. Most routers have dual-bands. But, in eero, the extra radio helps to ensure that the connected devices are not competing for the signals. Eero has a long range speed capacity of 183.5 Mbs and a close range rating of 452.4 Mbs.
The Orbi has tri-band radios. Two of the bands: 2.4GHz and 5GHz are used for connecting the devices. Whereas, the third band is used for WiFi backhaul. It transmits data between the satellites of The Orbi and the Orbi router itself. This ensures that the mesh network is intact that the devices are not competing against each other for the connection. The Orbi has a maximum peak of 1.2Gbps. It also has a long range speed capacity of 368.2Mbs and a close range rating of 509.8Mbs.
2. Range & Coverage
The Orbi and eero both form mesh networks to transmit WiFi over long distances. But, they tend to differ in range. The way in which devices connect to form the network is also considerably different. Eero is good at flexibility, because it offers the option of allowing many number of devices to be added. This means that the range of eero can be extremely huge. For example, the 3 eeros Pro Pack covers 3500 square foot homes and provides better connectivity and unlimited access.
The Orbi Home Wi-Fi System is a lot simpler. But, at the same time, it covers a considerable distance. The default setting covers 5000 square feet. It can also support 3 satellites and 1 main router.
3. Setup Structure
The majority of eero equipment is likely to be setup inside your homes or offices. This is something to be cautious about because the internal structure of your house may have an impact on the signal strength. This is why you should keep in mind things like number of doors or interfering objects like walls or doors, before installing the beacons of the eero. Eero also lacks in advanced customization features that some users might seek in a product.
The setup of orbi equipment mostly takes place in the exterior part of your house. This means that none of the equipment will be a hindrance to the home-owners. You don’t have to worry about the layout of your house disturbing the signal strength. You just have to plug in the satellites and connect the router to the modem. To add additional satellites, you just need to plug them in as well.
4. Wired Connectivity
In most scenarios, you have to connect your device to the internet through WiFi. But, in some cases, you may have to hardwire a device. With the eero hub, dual Gigabit for WAN and LAN are present. There is also a USB-C port for the AC power adaptor. But, there are no ports on the beacons. That means that eero router is limited to having only two Gigabit ports. This can pose an issue for people who want to connect many number of devices to the router. Hardwiring your equipment might also prove to be difficult.
In this particular characteristic, the orbi proves to be much more successful. The router has 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports. One of these ports can connect to your router. The other three can be used to connect to various devices like printers, PCs, network storage, etc. Additionally, there is also a 2.0 USB port on the back of the device. Netgear plans to enable the USB port to support features like Readyshare support too. Another advantage of the Orbi is that it all the satellites have their own ports too, which makes connecting to devices that much easier. Hardwiring becomes easy too as it can be done miles away from the main router.
5. Additional Features
Apart from the features of the WiFi router, the eero offers an additional feature: The Nightlight. There are 10 Lumen LEDs that are present in the outlets. They project downwards and can be automatically activated. They can also be dimmed using the ambient light sensor or the eero app. This feature makes the router look more visually appeasing.
The Orbi Home Wi-Fi System doesn’t have a nightlight attached, nor does it have any additional features apart from those on the WiFi router.
6. Subscription Package
a) Services Provided by eero
No products found. offers a subscription service that helps in building an increases sense of convenience and security. Eero Plus is a subscription that makes the process of spending time online more secure and enjoyable.
- Threat Scan – It check the sites visited for known threats. It stops the user of the website is recognised as malicious or potentially harmful. This prevents wastage of time in removing viruses or malware.
- Safe Browsing – It tags sites that contain inappropriate content that is violent, illegal or meant for adults. The app allows you to chose which content is permissible to be accessed by your family. This is extremely helpful in protecting kids from harmful content.
- Ad Blocking – We have all been annoyed by ads at some point or another. This is where the eero’s ad-block feature comes in handy. You can block the ads and other unwanted pop-ups. This also saves you time as you do not have to worry about using ad-blockers for each and every device connected to the router. It also helps in bringing a better browsing experience.
- VPN Protection – This will allow you to browse privately using a virtual private network. It is very helpful especially is you frequently browse in unsecure places.
- Password Manager – It has become extremely difficult to keep a track of the different passwords and usernames that one must use for different websites. Eero app derives a common password while also managing the various passwords that you use.
- Antivirus Software – Malwarebytes is the name of eero’s antivirus software. It is one of the world’s leading virus and malware protection software. Getting an antivirus software can be expensive, sometimes reaching prices up to $368 per year. But eero’s offers this at affordable prices starting at $99 per year.
b) Services Provided by The Orbi
The Orbi subscription service mainly focuses on being able to control what content is accessible and how safe and secure the network is. The Orbi’s service is provided through the circle app, the basic version of which is free. A premium service will give you access to additional security features.
- Time Limits – It lets you control the amount of time that children or someone else is spending online. You can customize the settings and decide what apps or websites should be restricted too.
- Bedtime & Offtime – It is a very useful feature that turns off the internet after a specific point of time, so that no one uses it after a fixed period of time. Offtime allows you to set specific times during the day when internet access will be disabled. The Orbi router automatically cuts off access to the internet.
- Rewards – This is another program for parents. It helps to incentivise internet usage by letting parents reward their children for good behaviour. The rewards usually consists of getting extra time to spend online.
- Usage – The circle app gives you a detailed description of your household’s internet usage. Orbi also provides free technical support for 90 days.
While both the subscription services have their own plus points, The Orbi is clearly focused on parental control and most of its features are geared towards children. Alternatively, eero takes a wider approach and consists of features that target a wider audience including individuals, couples and children.
eero’s base measures 4.76 x 4.76 x 1.26 inches. It is slender, sleek and can sit flat on the table. This helps in discreetly blending the eero with the rest of your house. The beacon is also similar, only the dimensions are halved. They can be plugged directly into the outlet, which helps to save space.
The Orbi Home Wi-Fi System is bulkier with measurements of 8.9 x 6.7 x 3.1 inches. It looks sleek, but it can prove to be difficult to hide. It does not blend well with home decor.
8. Accessories & Add-Ons
You can purchase an eero WiFi System Setup that helps to get the network up and running. You can also purchase wall mount holders that are used in setting up the eero.
The Orbi has better accessories as it offers a number of satellites for your router system. There is also a Smart Speaker that allows Alexa integration to your device. This means that you can use the orbi satellite for updates on weather or news instead of an Echo or Echo dot. The Orbi Outdoor Satellite is another add-on that lets you take your satellite to longer distances outdoors. Finally, the Orbi Plug In Satellite plugs directly into an outlet. It extends coverage up to 1500 square feet.
1. Reduce Dead Zones
Both eero and orbi work to reduce dead zones. Dead zones are places where the signals of the WiFi start to drop. This leads to you, the user, moving around the house and looking for better reception. But, this is not the case with eero and orbi networks. The mesh networks eliminates dead zones in your home. The house will be filled with strong and fast WiFi.
2. Smart Support
No products found. and orbi routers help you to relay faster internet connectivity to smartphones, personal computers, tablets and many other devices. Apart from this, they offer smart support by allowing you to plug in any smart hub in the Ethernet ports.
3. Bridge Mode
Bridge mode is a feature that allows you to manage or connect your eero or orbi network through an existing router. To do this, you may have to eliminate some useful features of the router. Hence, it is always best to stick to the original configuration. But, having the bridge mode feature is extremely advantageous especially in situations when you want to maintain your existing router infrastructure. Bridge mode can be activated from an eero or orbi application, as the option is available for both the products.
MU-MIMO stands for Multi-User – Multiple Input Multiple Output. In traditional routers, a number of devices can be supported at the same time. But, the network can send data only to one at a time. Because of this, all the devices connected to the network are fighting for the bandwidth. All of this leads to a slower network. Whereas with eero and orbi, the MU-MIMO facility allows the router to communicate with all the devices at the same time. This provides a stable network.
5. Hardware And Technology
Both eero and Orbi Home Wi-Fi System have 512MB RAM and 4GB of storage. Eero uses Quad-core 700MHz technology in the processor. The Orbi uses Quad-core ARM 710Mhz. These similarities help the devices to function of similar performance levels.
6. Voice Control
Both the routers can be controlled by voice. They have an Amazon Alexa Support feature too. Alexa products like Echo or Echo dot will help you to enable voice control on your router. You can change the settings or set tasks through voice commands.
7. Easy Setup
This is something that we have touched upon earlier in the article. Eero and Orbi are extremely easy to set up. You just have to unbox the routers, plug them in, and follow the instructions on their respective apps.
Eero: Product Features & Technical Specifications
No products found.
- 1 Router and 3 Beacon Units – The Eero WiFi System comes in three different specifications i.e. with 1,2 or 3 beacon units. You can choose the number of units that you need based on your own requirements. The routers and the beacons are extremely well-designed. They are compact and can add a unique aesthetic to your home.
- High Speed WiFi – The eero has a wide WiFi coverage. It can handle multiple users or devices with considerable speed.
- Eero Plus – eero plus is the app that has been developed in order to engage with the users of eero. It is especially helpful for first-time buyers of eero who need help with their installation.
- Compatibility with Service Providers – Eero can work with most major Internet providers, including Verizon, AT&T, Comcast, etc. It is also compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Setup – The setup process is very simple and can be performed effortlessly by the average user. Eero also detects any problems and resets itself.
- Memory – 1GB to 4GB flash storage with 512 MB of RAM. It has a 1GHz dual-core processor.
- Bluetooth – There is a built-in Bluetooth feature that allows you to sync your data with mobile devices.
- Coverage Area – Without purchasing additional beacon units, eero’s coverage area is about 3500 sq.ft.
- Guest Networks – You can set up a guest network and provide access to someone who is not connected to the router.
What You Get In The Box?
The eero home WiFi system consists of 1 eero Pro and 2 eero Beacons. It has WiFi Ranger Extenders that can cover a 2 to 4 Bedroom range, which can be plugged in to standard outlets. Eero Beacon will be compact and half the size of the eero. You can purchase as many beacons as you want, but 2 is the standard for this product. It also includes an ambient light sensor and automatic dimmer, the brightness of which can be set through the eero plus app. The product weighs 10.2 ounces for which 1 Lithium ion battery is required. It has a warranty of 1 Year Limited.
Orbi : Product Features & Technical Specifications
- 1 Router and 1 Satellite Unit – It includes 1 main router and atleast 1 satellite unit. Additional satellites are available and can be purchased by the user to increase the coverage range. It also has 6 high-performance antennas with highly-powered antennas.
- High Speed WiFi – Orbi is often considered to provide the fastest WiFi on the market. It is consistent and super-fast with AC3000 (1733+866+400 Mbps) or AC2200 (400+866+866 Mbps).
- The Circle App – It is the official Orbi App. One of the major features of this app is that it provides for easier customization than most routers.
- Compatibility with Service Providers – Like eero, it is compatible with Verizon, Comcast, AT&T and many more and it works with Google Assistant and Alexa.
- Setup – There is no requirement of assigning IP addresses or renaming networks. It is a simple and convenient process.
- Memory – 4GB Flash with 512MB of RAM and quad-core 710MHz processor.
- Ethernet Ports – Each unit consists of 4 Ethernet ports.
- Coverage Area – With 2 Units, Orbi provides over 5000 sq.ft. of coverage, which most of its competitors cannot achieve.
- Guest Networks – The WiFi system can also be configured to allow guests to use the network without sharing the password.
What You Get In The Box
The Orbi Home Wi-Fi System WiFi system consists of the Orbi Router with 4 high-performance internal antennas. It also has high-powered antennas. They come with a satellite unit, but additional units can be purchased. The manufacturer’s warranty is for 1 Year Limited.
Frequently Asked Questions
The routers and beacons create a mesh network and cover the specific area with a strong WiFi signal. The router is connect directly to your Internet Service Provider and it is easy to set up.
It works with most of the ISP routers like Verizon Fios, XFinity, Comcast etc.
It is used to extend the WiFi coverage in your home or office. The beacons can be plugged into any electrical outlet and it will provide WiFi coverage.
You need a minimum of 2 beacons. You can purchase additional ones based on the size of WiFi coverage you need.
It is two or more WiFi routers connected to an existing modem.
Yes, it works with all the major service providers XFinity, Comcast etc. The setup instructions need to thoroughly followed in order to enable it to work perfectly.
The Orbi is a mesh network as it creates a network with two or three routers to increase WiFi coverage in your area.
The system is compatible with your existing modem or router. But, it is recommended that you can purchase the Orbi Cable WiFi System.
No products found. and Orbi Home Wi-Fi System both have their own benefits and limitations, but overall The Orbi is a better product with regard to area coverage and many other aspects. As a consumer, it is best to be educated about both eero and orbi before you decide which one is better suited to your needs.
Leave a Reply