Moving can be quite stressful and expensive for anybody. It can be exhausting due to all the heavy lifting and loading them on the truck. Staying safe while protecting all your belongings can get quite difficult, especially if you’re doing it by yourself. Hence, to relieve you from such stresses, some points are mentioned below that you should take so that you and your property are completely safe.
A. Pre-Moving Checklist
Steps To Take While Selecting The New Place
1. Research Well About Your New Locality
When you are selecting a new place, make sure to research well about the neighborhood. Take a keen look at the security systems of the locality and its distance from your workplace.
2. Know Your Rights About The Rent Agreement
Always keep things clear between you and your landowner. Go through the rent agreement carefully and thoroughly to make the best use of your rights. For example, your landlord cannot interfere in your personal lifestyle. He also can’t ask you to vacate the property as long as the agreement term is still continuing.
3. Keep In Mind The Overall Cost
Expenses such as security deposit and advance fee sum up to be equal to the price of your accommodation, which can be out of your budget. Always make sure to ask for such details from the landlord before making any decision.
4. Check The Goods And Appliances
If you have opted for a furnished apartment, check for the furniture or appliances. Also, check for any fixes needed in the bathroom sink or electrical wirings.
5. Ask Your Neighbors About The Locality
Interact with your neighbors and ask them about the security present in your locality. Also ask them about the locations of the nearest police station, hospital and fire fighting services.
Steps To Take Before 8 Weeks Of Moving
1. Organize A Folder
Create a folder that will have all of the necessary points that you need to check throughout the process of moving. All the to-do lists, important phone numbers and dates, and details should be mentioned in the journal.
2. Create A Moving Budget
Create a budget that is realistic enough. Keep a section for professional assistance like packers and movers to help you with moving.
3. Go Through The Contracts And Official Documents
Carefully read all the documents given by your movers before signing. Understand the contracts well and don’t let them intimidate you.
4. Select A School For Your Kids Near Your New Residential Area
Make sure to go through the schools present in the area around your new home and enroll your kids in the one that serves you best.
5. Plan How To Move Fragile Items
Items such as piano, safes, and artwork need more fragile packing. The movers that you hire may not be experts in the careful transportation of expensive items. So jot down a plan on your own to move fragile items instead of relying on the movers.
6. Confirm That Your Moving Company Is Licensed
Verify the Department Of Transport number (or DOT number) of your movers and check if the company is licensed or not.
Steps To Take Before 6 Weeks Of Moving
1. Start Collecting Free Boxes And Packaging Materials
Collect boxes from liquor stores, office supply stores, and other packaging materials so that you are already one step ahead.
2. List The Items You Don’t Need To Take To Your New Home
One of the most tedious tasks that we need to do before moving is to list down all the things that are not useful to us. Try to clear the clutter by removing any unnecessary items from the rack.
3. Take Pictures Of Electronics
Click some pictures around the house, mostly of electrical appliances before unplugging them to remember the connections when you try to put them back together.
4. Address Minor Home Repairs
Address minor home repairs so that you have the maximum chance of getting back your security deposit from the bank.
5. Start With Packing A Bit Every Day
Start packing smaller items that you don’t use on a daily or weekly basis so that you are free from a load of packing all of your items at once.
Steps To Take Before One Month Of Moving
1. Donate Items
Items that you cannot pack or sell can be donated, such as frozen food, aerosol cans, and bleach.
2. Gather All Important Documents In One Place
All the legal documents and financial records along with the birth certificates, passports and any other types of identification certificates should be gathered and kept in a single place.
3. Call In The Professionals
Call professionals to double check your house such as hiring an electrician to check all the electrical wirings and also get your house checked by someone for Carbon monoxide by installing CO detectors.
Steps To Take Before 2 Weeks Of Moving
1. Finalize Details With Your Removals Company
Contact your solicitor and finalize a date to move according to the availability of your packers company. Also, work out the route that you’ll take to the new house and make sure that your movers have proper knowledge about the plan.
2. Return Any Borrowed Books Or Items
Any issued books from the library or items that you might have borrowed from your friends and neighbors should be returned back to them without further delay.
3. Update Your Address In All The Documents
Update your address in documents such as your mail chain, magazines, and newspapers you might have subscribed to, etc. Update your details in IDs such as your driver’s license and other legal documents.
4. Safely Dispose of Any Flammable Materials
Dispose of any flammable liquids or materials on your own instead of relying on your removal company.
Steps To Take Before 1 Weeks Of Moving
1. Prepare A Moving Day Survival Kit
Prepare a survival kit containing the necessary items such as a first aid kit, tools and any other material that will help you in the final day.
2. Defrost The Freezer
Ensure that the refrigerator or the freezer is completely defrosted and dry before moving.
3. Wash And Dry All Cloth Materials
Wash and dry your clothes so that they are ready to be packed neatly in the boxes before moving without creating any hassle.
4. Inform Your Family And Friends About The Change In Your Address
Send out cards or e-mails to your friends and family informing them about the change in your address.
5. Clean Your New Place
It is the most important part of the work, to get the entire house cleaned and ready to settle. You’ll have a major job checked out of the list if you clean your new place before-hand.
Steps To Take Before 1 Day Of Moving
1. Check Your House Thoroughly
Give a tour around the house and make sure you haven’t forgotten any necessary points. Check all the drawers and cupboards before going to bed.
2. Pack An Essentials Box
Maintain an essentials box that will have the essentials such as toothbrush, toothpaste, hand sanitizers, etc.
3. Ensure That Your Phone Is Fully Charged
Ensure that your mobile phone is completely charged for the next day. Don’t drain your battery overnight and recharge it if needed.
4. Keep Your Toolkit Handy
Tools such as scissors and screwdrivers are very helpful when you’re about to move, and hence should be kept handy.
B. Moving Day Checklist
1. Pack Your Beddings And Curtains
Don’t forget to remove your beddings and curtains and pack them. Since they are the final day additions, you might forget them in haste.
2. Take The Fragile Boxes With Yourself In The Car
Don’t rely on your movers to shift all the fragile items. Instead, bring them with yourself in your car to ensure that they aren’t destroyed.
3. Keep Your Kids And Pets Safe
Try to keep your kids and pets away from the process of moving. Ask a trusted relative to watch over, thus ensuring that they aren’t in danger of getting hurt.
4. Dress Appropriately In Comfortable Clothes
Wear comfortable clothes that aren’t completely new since the process of moving involves a lot of dirt and dust. Wear comfortable shoes that are flexible enough.
5. Check That The Windows And Doors Are Properly Locked
Before leaving your house, check if you’ve locked the doors and windows properly behind you. Double-check the locks if needed.
6. Leave Behind Copies Of Your Contact Details For Further Processes
The estate agent of your house, the mover and the conveyancer might need to contact you again in the future. Hence, leave behind a copy of your contact details for them.
C. Post-Moving Checklist
Steps To Be Taken A Week After Moving
1. Clean The Carpets Before Settling In
Clean the carpets after you move into your house. Since you might have already cleaned your house by now, cleaning the carpet is the only part that remains.
2. Install A Proper Home Security System
- 【EASY-TO-INSTALL WIRELESS SYSTEM】Cromorc 1080P NVR integrated with 10.1" LCD Monitor pairs cameras automatically by...
- 【HIGH DEFINITION WEATHERPROOF SECURITY CAMERAS】Cromorc wireless HD security cameras offer crystal-clear high...
- 【SECURE AND STABLE LONG RANGE WIRELESS SIGNALS】Use up to eight HD wireless security cameras on the same system...
Install a reliable home security system in your house like All in one with 10.1 inches Monitor Wireless Security Camera System, Home Business CCTV Surveillance 4CH 1080P NVR Kit that comes with a night vision capability.
3. Install Outdoor And Indoor Lights
- [PIR Motion Lights and No Dim Mode]- Designed with No dim mode to increase product life span. When motion is detected...
- [28 LED Ultra-Bright Solar Powered Lights]-There are 28 powerful LEDs and the motion angle is 120 degrees which can...
- [High Efficiency and Eco-Friendly]- By exposure to sunlight for around 8 hours in daytime, the solar light is able to...
Maximizing the light cover is the best way of ensuring that although your house is new, it is safe against potential threats. Install proper outdoor lights like BAXIA TECHNOLOGY BX-SL-101 Solar Lights Outdoor 28 LED Wireless Waterproof Security Solar Motion Sensor Lights that are motion sensitive.
4. Change The Locks
- Keyed entry deadbolt with a traditional Colonial design for an exterior door; easy installation in just minutes with a...
- For use on exterior doors where a deadbolt on one side and keyed entry and security is needed
- Features SmartKey Security Re key your lock in 3 easy steps; Compatible with Kwikset KW1 Keyway
It is one of the most important parts that you should follow as soon as possible. Change the locks to your main door and preferably use a good deadbolt system like Kwikset 660 Single Cylinder Deadbolt featuring SmartKey Security in Satin Chrome.
Steps To Be Taken Within Two Weeks Of Moving
1. Maintain Your Old Property
Fool the burglars into thinking that there are still people living in your old house by maintaining it. Don’t let it be vulnerable to break-ins even after you’ve moved out of the house.
2. Get To Know Your Neighbors
Interact with your neighbors and maintain a healthy relationship with them. Knowing your neighbors is very important in creating a happy and healthy locality full of trustworthy people.
3. Double Check The Needs For Other Security Protocols
Important safety protocols such as smoke detectors and surveillance cameras should be installed within this time without much delay.
Moving can be a very tedious job, but if you plan the entire process in a systematic manner and follow them, it can turn out to be quite exciting and fun. Make sure that the house you’re going to move in is an upgrade in safety and security, and never refrain from asking for any additional help for moving to your new home.