Is it worth spending more on Kwikset Kevo Gen 2? Yes, it is. But before purchasing it you should know why Gen 2 is a better choice over Kwikset Kevo Gen 1. We tested and reviewed both the products, to come out with an in-depth comparison. It’s obvious that Gen 2 is the latest version of Gen 1 with more compelling features but knowing how will it benefit you more is important. So let’s begin with it.
Kwikset Gen 2 is better than Kwikset Gen 1 in many aspects. It has a better installation process, it has the feature of auto-calibration, it has long durability, and provides better protection. However the question remains, is it worth the extra money? Well if you are comparing it with Kwikset Kevo Gen 1, then yes. However, there are better smart locks available at the same price. But if you are confused between Gen 1 and Kwikset Kevo Gen 2, Gen 2 is the thing to go for.
Comparison Chart :Kwikset Gen 1 Vs Gen 2
Kwikset Kevo Gen 1 And Gen 2
|Specifications||Kwikset Kevo Gen 1||Kwikset Kevo Gen 1 And Gen 2|
|Dimensions||7.4” x 3.25” x 1.75”||5.75 x 2.75” x 2”|
|Lock grade||No grade||Grade 2|
|Smart Key deadbolt||Yes||Yes|
|Shared Access||25 eKeys/Fobs max.||25 eKeys/Fobs max.|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
There is a drastic difference in the sizes of both the locks. Kevo Gen 2 is much smaller and quite sleek as compared to Kwikset Kevo Gen 1. However, the exterior of the lock is the same in both the locks.
The installation process in Kwikset Kevo Gen 2 is improved and much more sophisticated. The in-app installation guide is easy to understand and will guide you through every step of the installation process. So the entire process will be much more simplified. The hardware is colour coded. So, you will know which parts are to be used.
Apart from this, Kevo Gen 2 has the auto-calibration feature. We placed our smartphone in the vicinity to the lock and it was able to adjust the range. This way we were able to get a secure setting. So this feature is a perk in Kevo Gen 2.
In the case of Kevo Gen 1, we had to manually calibrate the device. This made the entire process time consuming and specific details had to be taken care of. The calibration process consisted of pressing the calibration button on the interior side of the lock and then testing the Touch to open feature a couple of times.
The calibration feature is an integral part of the system because only then will the lock be able to detect your location. This will prevent any unauthorised entry. So, in case you are worried about this, you should choose Kevo Gen 2 or ensure that your Kevo gen 1 is calibrated well.
The Kevo Gen 1 does have SmartKey Security deadbolt feature. This feature will ensure that your lock is well protected from lock picking or lock bumping.
Kevo Gen 2 has additional security features. This lock gives protection against any uncommon techniques used during forced entry. The Kevo Gen 2 is certified Grade 2 by Ansi. This is the second-best grade a lock can get. Kwikset Kevo Gen 1, on the other hand, doesn’t have a BHMA grade. Hence we can say that in terms of security, Kwikset Kevo Gen 2 is the winner.
Kevo Gen 1 comes with an interior which is made of plastic while Kevo Gen 2 is made entirely of metal. Not only does this make Kevo Gen 2 more durable, but it also makes it appear attractive as compared to the Kevo Gen 1 lock.
This feature is present in Kevo Gen 2. The auto-lock takes place in 30 seconds. You can always activate the smart auto-lock feature through with number 4 switch. The downside to this is a lockout. Always carry your phone or key with you when you leave the house.
This feature is absent in Kevo Gen 1.
6. The App
In this case, both the locks haven’t received great reviews. The Kevo Gen 2 does respond faster to the app due to the upgrade in the Bluetooth feature. However, both Kevo Gen 1 and Kevo Gen 2 have shown malfunctioning. So Kwikset kevo doesn’t seem like the best option here.
Both the devices come with a Touch to open feature. You can lock and unlock the door simply by touching it. The lock can be connected with the smartphone via Bluetooth.
Kevo can determine if you are inside or outside the home. In case your phone is inside, kevo will not unlock if it is touched.
Kevo Plus. It is a combination of service and a gateway. The gateway connects your router via an ethernet cable to pair the Kevo lock and your wifi. The feature offers control even outside the Bluetooth range. As long as you have an internet connection you will be able to receive notifications in case the lock is being used.
Next comes the Kevo Key Fob. It works best in case you require access without using a smartphone. It offers Touch to open convenience and secondly you don’t need to worry about your keys being copied.
However in case, your fob gets lost or stolen, you will need to reset the lock. Due to this, all issued eKeys and all connected fobs will get unenrolled. Kwikset needs to wok on a better system.
Features And Specifications Kwikset Kevo Gen 2
- Product Dimensions– 3.8x 5.9x 10.4 inches
- Batteries – 1 AA battery required
- Colour– Satin Nickel
- Material– Metal
- The Kwikset kevo Gen 2 comes with a touch to open convenience. It uses Bluetooth technology for this and provides you access to your home through your smartphone.
- It gives your free eKeys to share it with your guests, family and friends.
- You can manage the ekeys using the app and schedule access for them.
- Each time the door is unlocked or locked, it gets recorded in the usage history. You can access this through your Kevo App. The smartphones that are compatible with this device are iPhone 4S or higher and Android 5.0 or higher devices.
- The security features are much advanced in the device. It protects techniques used during break-ins and permits you to re-key within seconds.
- Kevo Gen 2 is compatible with Alexa or Smart Home devices as well.
- It works well with Kevo Fob and Kevo Plus Hub.
- Items in the box:Interior assembly, Battery Pack, Interior Cover, Exterior Assembly, Latch with Rectangular Faceplate, Drive-in Latch, Strike, Adapter Ring, 2 Keys, Mounting Plate,4 batteries, Smart Key tool, Installation Hardware, Installation guide
Features And Specifications Kwikset Kevo Gen 1
- Product Dimensions– 10.5 x 5.9 x 3.7 inches
- Batteries– 4 AA batteries required
- Color– Satin Nickel
- Finish– Satin
- It includes the touch to open feature as well. The Bluetooth technology can be used to connect it to your device. It is compatible with smartphones such as Apple iPhones 4s and higher as well as Android 5.0 and higher.
- The installation can be done within a few minutes with just a screwdriver.
- It comes with Kwikset’s Lifetime warranty.
- Components included in the box-Kevo deadbolt, Kevo Interior, 1 Fob Key, 2 standard keys, 2 anytime digital keys, 4 AA batteries, Latch, Strike, Mounting Hardware, Installation instructions, User manual, Smart Key learn tool, Drilling template for new doors
1. Does the Kevo Fob work with Kevo convert?
Yes, it does. Kevo convert works with Kevo Plus. Plus gives you access to Kevo convert as long as you have a working internet connection. It comes with a Bluetooth enabled Gateway.
2. How long does Kevo battery last?
The Kevo lock contains 4 AA batteries. Depending on the usages it presumably it should last for about a year.
3. Is Kevo compatible with Google home?
Yes, kevo is supported by Google home. The users can control ARTIK cloud devices using voice control.
4. How does Kevo Lock work?
Kevo smart lock works with a metal Key or a fob and through your smartphone. It can initiate the process of locking and unlocking using these devices.
Overall, it can be said that Kevo Gen 2 is a better choice than Kwikset Kevo Gen 1. Given its improved features and technology such as ease in installation or auto-calibration or advanced protection, it is worth the money spent on it. However there are a few glitches that are present in both the locks and that needs a lot of improvement, So in case you are looking to buy a lock in the same range as Kwikset Kevo Gen 2, then you can explore other smart locks that offer more features and advanced technology.