You are indeed frustrated seeing your thermostat go black. This blank screen has made many people toggle our page for a solution they were looking for.
This article is for you if you have already tried testing all the buttons on the thermostat in vain. Read through to have a basic understanding and fix it successfully.
It requires proper troubleshooting. You may have to inspect the device and accessories. Checking for overheating of the device is also essential.
Check for Drippage in the AC, and do not forget the fuse. We have listed below how to go about it in a sequence.
We will divide the whole article into two parts.
Part 1: The Ecobee thermostat has been working for a long time
Part 2: The Ecobee thermostat is a newly installed one
Part 1 – The Ecobee thermostat has been working for a long time
Step 1 – Inspection of the heater power switch and the breaker
Check if your breaker has flipped. This issue will occur when there has been a recent power surge in and around your premises. It may also happen if there has been a lightning storm in recent days. If your switch has flipped, push it back up and get your thermostat working. Many times your issue will end at this point.
Are you still facing the problem? It means you have a faulty wire sitting inside the device. Do not worry; we have you covered. If you wonder how to start and end the inspection, continue reading.
Step by step guide to further inspect:
1- First and foremost step is to check whether or not your breaker switch is off.
2- If you find it off, push it back on and wait. This wait is essential to ensure that the switch does not return to the off position.
3- Check if your thermostat is working correctly by changing the power settings
4- Contact your Ecobee Expert if the problem persists. We do not want any wrong steps that may create an additional issue.
Step 2 – Overheated or Tripped Heater.
- It is a known fact that every heater has a sensor that senses overheating and trips.
- This inbuilt sensor saves the heater from malfunctioning.
- However, it trips when the settings you process are not functional.
- For example, the fan may have stopped or would have started cooling the whole device.
- There are a couple of reasons why your heater can overheat. These reasons are:
- If the temperature outside is relatively low
- If the filter is filled with dirt or is clogged
Step 3 – Furnace Fuse
The fuse saves the furnace from power surges. If you want to check if this is faulty, follow the steps below:
Note – Turn off the whole device. Ensure this before beginning to avoid any shocks
1- Open the furnace panel to review the fuse
2- When this is not the problem, check the wires
3- If you see the fuse in black color, there is a chance that it has blown. Blown-out fuse is causing the problem
4- Check for the Amp of the fuse. It should be either 3AMP or 5AMP ( not interchangeable)
5- Go ahead and replace if you find anything faulty.
Step 4 – Condensate Drippage is an issue
Is water building up in your thermostat? This issue can make your screen go blank. Water exceeding a specific limit will switch your thermostat off.
Avoid this clogging by running through the checklist below:
1- Is there any leakage or moisture in or around?
2- Is the drain pan getting dull?
3- Is the drain pan overflowing
4- Is there a problem with frequent restarting
5- Any water damage near the condensate.
Do not worry: You can resolve this issue too. Find the guide below and follow the steps.
- First, look for the drainage pan; it will be on the sides of the device. Some devices will be behind the whole machine structure.
- Clean the pan if you find it full. Ensure that this step is taken carefully
- While you are at it, look for clogging in drainage. You can hire an expert if you do not wish to continue further.
- Turn on the float switch which got turned off because of debris.
If you f terminal R and follow the wire. The switch it connects to is your float switch.
Part 2 If you face a problem identifying the float switch
Remove the safety panel – The Ecobee thermostat is newly installed. This issue mainly occurs when your Ecobee thermostat has been recently installed. There are chances that these fixes will not work for you. However, here’s what you can do.
Step 1 – Start by checking the power wire.
Pull these wires gently and look if there is a loose connection. They will be connected to the R terminal.
Step 2 – The C wire
There should be extra C wires with the device. Ensure this to replace these wires as soon as there is a need. Connect the C wire for the thermostat to start working
Step 3 – Power Extender Kit
Ecobee 3 and 4 require you to consider the following things while wiring:
- The wire R goes to the R Terminal
- The wires G goes to the C Terminal
- Wire W goes to the W1 Terminal
- and wire Y goes to the PEK Terminal
Step 4 – Check the placement of the device on the backplate
Displacement is often responsible for hindrance in the whole functioning of the thermostat. Here you have to check the issue in-depth and then try to replace or rearrange the place where you have installed the thermostat.
What Causes is Screen Not Working?
This problem mainly occurs after power breakdown, due to which electricity fluctuation is faced. Apart from that, there could be multiple reasons, as mentioned below:
1. Fuse blow may stop the working of the thermostat, and it has to be fixed as soon as possible.
2. AC drains can also cause unexpected interceptions in the connection.
3. The display may go inactive due to flipped heater or the breaker.
4. Furnance or thermostat may go inactive if security protocols are not followed properly. A sudden trip to a high temperature may cause a black screen.
Contact the Customer Support
The last resort left for you is Contacting customer support for a solution. These people are experts in their field and walk you through the possible solution. Some things are not DIY for you as it needs specialty. Give them time to come up with an answer to your problem. Ensure to tell them the troubleshooting you have done yet. This may help them to fix your pain quickly.
I know the steps need extra care, but it saves you money and time. It would help if you had no expert input until the last stage. Follow the guide mentioned above and eliminate the blank screen within a small duration. Ensure that you take extra care when handling these devices. Take expert help if things are not in your hand. To prevent it from happening, follow the guide mentioned above regarding maintenance.
Leave a Reply