In this review both the version of Ecobee smart thermostat the Ecobee 3 Vs Ecobee 3 Lite are compared in detail. We have done this to find out the features and specs of each model and help you decide which out of the two you should prefer for your smart home. So, let’s start.
Ecobee 3 is the best option for the users as it is slightly more superior as well as it provide more freedom and flexibility to the user. In case if you have a lot of HVAC devices, we suggest you go with the Ecobee 3. Ecobee 3 is a more suitable option as it works on a much higher level along with other home air devices. On the other hand, Ecobee 3 Lite is the right and best option for the user if the user has a tight budget. The Lite version is a cheaper option and has all the necessary features a thermostat requires.
Ecobee 3 Vs Ecobee 3 Lite: Comparison Chart
Ecobee 3 Vs Ecobee 3 Lite
|Specifications||Ecobee 3||Ecobee 3 Lite|
|Touch screen||3.5 inch||3.5 inch|
|Mobile App Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Apple Home Kit||Yes||Yes|
|Humidifier, Dehumidifier and ventilation control||Yes||No|
|Depth from wall||0.9||0.8|
|Free month report||Yes||Yes|
|Weight||1.35 pounds||1 pound|
|Occupancy Detection||Yes||Works via remote sensor|
|LED light Weather Forecast||No||Yes|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
One main difference between Ecobee 3 and Ecobee 3 Lite is the device support. Ecobee 3 supports a lot of HVAC appliances. Ecobee 3 can support electric system, oil system, heat pumps, the gas system as well as humidifiers, dehumidifiers, ventilators, heat recovery ventilators (HRV), Energy recovery ventilators (ERV). For example Aprilaire 500m or Aprilaire 600m humidifiers can easily be connected to the Ecobee 3 thermostat that provides the benefit of controlling both heating and cooling as well as humidity level which helps in adding more comfort in your home. Also, users need not buy expensive 500 M or 600 M models of humidifiers that come with and automatic control. Ecobee 3 thermostat takes control of your humidifier.
Whereas for the Lite version of Ecobee 3 same cannot be said. For the Lite is not compatible with any kind of ventilators, humidifiers or dehumidifiers.
Bottom Line:- Ecobee 3 is the clear winner in case of device support because it supports humidifiers, dehumidifiers, and ventilators, which all allow users to take advantage of your house’s HVAC appliances or equipment.
2. Room Sensors
Room sensors are the wireless remote sensor which is designed to read the temperature in the room. These comes with one wireless room sensor which can be played in different rooms. Users can keep the sensor in the room that is either occupied the most or is used the most, like the living room and bedroom. Thermostat, with the help of a room sensor, can detect the temperature and regulate accordingly in all the rooms. No app is needed to set the rooms sensor as directly linked to the thermostat unit, whereas Ecobee 3 Lite doesn’t come with any of the room sensors. Users have to separately by the rooms sensor if they are willing to purchase. In the case of a small house within open floor plane buying of sensors can be skipped when the Lite version was released, it doesn’t support the sensor.
Bottom Line:- Ecobee 3 is the clear winner as it comes with one wireless room sensor as sensor reports to the thermostat which lets users save additional money as it can change the temperature of heating and cooling when no one is at home.
3. Physical Appearance
When we talk about physical appearance, both of them look the same. But there is a minor difference among both the version. At a glance, both the version has a modern design as well as a sleek and glossy black plastic body. Both the Lite version has a square shape with rounded corners. But the corners of the Lite version are slightly more rounded as compared to classic, which is even isn’t very noticeable. The dimension of Ecobee 3 Lite is bit smaller 4 × 4 × 0.8 inches as compared to Ecobee 3 version is having dimension of 4 × 4 × 0.9 inches.
Bottom Line:- Small difference in the physical appearance of both versions doesn’t influence the features of both the thermostat. It might be crucial in case of a user having some design concerns.
4. Motion Sensor
In Ecobee 3, users can see a wedge-shaped section at the lower-left corner, which is the motion sensor, whereas, in the Lite version, it is harder to see the sensor as it covers away with the sensor protrudes less than that from the face of classic Ecobee 3.
- Both of them have a touch screen of 3.5 inches with an easy-to-use app.
- The installation process is the same for both the version, which is very straightforward, which is relatively quick, simple, and intuitive.
- Both the devices a feature called home/away. Through this, you can adjust the temperature to when you are at home and when you are not.
- Both the Ecobee 3 Lite and classic Ecobee 3 versions consist of a smart recovery feature.
- Both the thermostats are similar when it comes to displaying. It displays the temperature outside, current temperature, and weather conditions.
- Both the version have compressive weather reports that allow users to access the display weather forecast, and based on that, they can schedule temperature.
- They have an extended power kit.
- Each of the versions has a 3-year warranty.
- Both the previous and new versions share the same resolution power.
- Both Ecobee 3 and Ecobee 3 Lite claims to save the average annual energy of 23%.
- Both the version are integrated with the smart home voice control services like Amazon Alexa, Apple home kit, etc.
Features And Technical Specifications of Ecobee 3
- Room sensors:- Ecobee 3 consists of one wireless sensor that can be placed in the most common rooms of the house like the bedroom in the living room. These rooms sensor can be placed anywhere around the house. The wireless sensor is used to detect the motion to know whether the room is occupied or not at any time. Moreover, the sensor can even give information about the occupant of whether the occupant is a human or a pet. By adjusting thermostat with the help of room and sensor, users can save additional money by not wasting money on cooling or heating homes when no one is there at home. Moreover, it adds the functionality and efficiency of user HVAC appliances.
- Follow Me Plus Home and Away:- This is one of the excellent features of the version, which consists of following me mode and home and away mode. These modes note the exact location of the user at home by using room sensors and sensors on the thermostat. With Home and away mode, the system turns off and on according to the user location as well as allows to save on cooling and heating cost. When the user returns to his home, he passes the sensor that enables the system to automatically resume cooling for heating and needed.
- Humidifiers, Dehumidifiers, and Ventilation control:- Ecobee 3 is compatible with the full range of HVAC accessories like humidifiers, Dehumidifiers, as well as ventilation control, will help you to expand the capabilities of your smart thermostat.
- Voice control:- Ecobee 3 can connect to all Smart home connected devices includes Amazon Alexa, Apple home kit, Google Home, IFTTT, or even smart things that help in making more effective intelligent home integration with voice control.
- Geofencing:- Ecobee 3 became even more attractive due to the presence of a neat feature Geofencing. By Geofencing, the thermostat will able to know your exact location that whether you’re home or not, by tracking your phone location with the help of Geofencing. This way Ecobee 3 adjusts the temperature according to your location and hence saves you more money on cooling and heating.
Features And Technical Specifications of Ecobee 3 Lite
- Remote sensor:- During the launch of Ecobee 3 Lite, it didn’t support remote sensors, but Ecobee announced in March 2017 that Ecobee 3 Lite would also support the room sensor as the upgraded it firmware and software. Now, Ecobee 3 Lite also supports the room sensor.
- Integration:- Ecobee 3 Lite is also integrated with external voice control devices such as apple home kit, echo dot, Amazon Alexa, smart things, and IFTTT.
- Cost-efficient:- From all the Ecobee version, Ecobee 3 Lite is the cheapest and is the fantastic choice for the user who is on a budget as Ecobee 3 Lite is more budget-friendly. Moreover, It provides all the essential features required in a small thermostat.
- Monthly Energy Report:- To keep a check on the performance rate and daily activities of your smart thermostat, Ecobee 3 Lite offers you the feature of monthly report checks, which enable you to keep an eye on the performance of your thermostat.
- Power extender kit:- Ecobee 3 Lite provides a power extended kit. The power extender kit is a power wire that provides a live power supply to your thermostat, and it is used as a replacement of the Blue C wire that comes along with HVAC installation.
What Do You Get With Each Box?
Ecobee provides similar accessories in all the versions. All the versions are the same out-of-the-box. All the models include the same basic parts, but there are a few minimal differences that are similar to the details above.
- Black plate:- ToInstall your thermostat, the required accessories are black plate. Based on the specs of the existing unit, you can connect the new unit with the help of the black plate. For a painless and quick installation, wire connectors are a snap and marked into place.
- Trim plate:- Ecobee provides with additional plate i.e., trim plate in case if your existing unit was larger with extended coverage. It helps to cover any wall damage or holes behind your Ecobee by mounting a trim plate directly on the wall.
- Power Extended Kit:- This kit provides a live power supply to the smart thermostat and is used if you don’t have C wire for your air conditioning unit.
- Room sensors:- These remote sensors are the small stand up sensor that allows the Ecobee thermostat to control the temperature of a specific room accordingly and more precisely by tracking down your location even after placing it in any room. All the versions of Ecobee are compatible with room sensors but come along with which selected model.
- Guide:- Ecobee models also come with a simple setup guide that contains the instruction of installation of Ecobee.
Overview of Ecobee 3 Lite
Ecobee 3 Lite is a budget-friendly smart thermostat with an efficient thermostat. Ecobee 3 Lite is ideal for budget-conscious Shoppers as it includes all the basic features required by the smart thermostat in a reasonable amount, which makes it a worthy purchase. When Ecobee 3 Lite was launched, it didn’t support the room sensors, but Ecobee upgraded it with firmware and software and made it compatible with room sensor. But it does not contain an additional build-in room sensor.
Another interesting feature is the vacation mode, where you can save a lot of energy if you are out on a vacation. When it comes to integration, it is compatible with Apple HomeKit, Alexa, Wink and much more. Furthermore, Ecobee 3 Lite comes with a power extended kit that comes without Blue C wire and provide a live power supply to the thermostat. By the end of the month, it will submit you a monthly report in order to keep checking on the thermostat. It doesn’t support HVAC appliances.
Overview of Ecobee 3Ecobee 3 share similar features with the Lite version but with an additional few perks. For Instance, Ecobee 3 has an innovative feature of smart Occupancy detection with which your movement and activities can be detected by thermostat and adjust the temperature accordingly. Another feature is that Ecobee 3 is compatible with HVAC appliances like humidifiers, Dehumidifiers, ventilation control. Similarly, one of the neat feature Ecobee 3 shares is Geofencing which helps the thermostat to track down your location and use Home/Away mode to on and off the cooling and heating and thus save the cost of it.
Ecobee uses a cloud service. It utilizes the service to connect with the room sensor in your home for monitoring, gathering usage reports, and controlling. If your connectivity goes down, Ecobee will continue to operate. Either you modify the settings manually, or it operates according to your schedule. Also, features like voice control and sensors will not work unless and until the power is back.
A. Ecobee provides with accessories the trim plate that helps to cover the holes or damage on the wall, and that helps you to avoid painting of wall or its maintenance.
Both Ecobee 3 and Ecobee 3 Lite share similar features but also have a difference in some of the features. Ecobee 3 is comparatively better than the Ecobee 3 Lite due to the features it has to offer. On the other hand, Ecobee 3 Lite is budget-friendly that make your purchase worthy by providing reasonable prices as well as include all the basic features that should be present in the smart thermostat. If you have no issues with the method, you can buy Ecobee 3 as it functions on a higher level and is compatible with the HVAC system and comes along with room sensors.