The Ecobee not turning on the heat is frustrating to many. People look for a solution on different sites and sometimes go without any answer. This article will resolve all your problems in one go. Then, you can follow the steps in the sections below to restart the heat in Ecobee.
Next, we will list the root causes behind the problem and try to give the best solution for it. Get your thermostat back to the heating mode or get a resolution from the section below.
Fixing Ecobee Not Turning On The Heat
Fixing this problem is relatively easy. It either is a furnace problem or a problem of thermostat/ temperature. We will troubleshoot and fix the issue you are facing in this section. You will also get an idea of why your thermostat behaves this way.
It may be overheating, or maybe not. It may not be switching on your thermostat. We will list the root causes behind the problem and try to give the best solution for it. You will get your thermostat back to heating mode towards the end of the article.
Step 1 – Change your heat set point.
You should change your heat setpoint if it is being used for too long. It may cause excessive heat in the thermostat, not working correctly.
Step 2 – The automation settings/ threshold
First, you will have to ensure that your room temperature is more than 1 Celius cooler than what you set. For this step, check the Ecobee app or the interface directly. It may appear apparent to you, but it is essential to consider this before starting the whole process.
Step 3 – The automation settings/ threshold
There are chances that your settings are not automated. If this is the case for you, we have the proper fix. Use the steps below if the temperature is not changing automatically.
- Switch on the Ecobee App
- Go to the main menu
- Look for the settings icon
- Find the installation settings tab
- Thresholds will be displayed on the screen; tap on that
- Go to Auto Heat/Cool and then press Enable.
Step 4 – The furnace should be on
Naturally, if your furnace is not on, the heat will not follow. So check for the breaker panel to get rid of the problem when the furnace is on. If this is not the problem, Add a power extender kit. This kit comes with your pack and acts as your C wire. You can also try to switch off the furnace and turn it back on in a few minutes. If nothing is working out for you, you may want to consider getting an expert. However, go ahead and try another resort mentioned below.
Step 5 – Prevent overheating of the furnace
There is a chance that your fail-switch has switched your furnace off. To ensure this does not repeat, you will have to maintain the following devices.
a. Vents: Vents help in the proper flow of the air inside and out of the furnace. Hence, one should ensure minimal or no blockage in the vents.
b. Air Filter: Air filters should be changed every three months to ensure proper working of the product.
c. Evaporated coil: There should be proper evaporation in the coil to prevent the furnace from overheating.
d. Blower Fan: The heat may be affected if there is any blockage in the blower fans. It should have no oil or obstacles.
Step 6 – The fan control settings
Once this is done, you will have to set ambient and desired room temperature differently. On reaching the threshold, follow the steps below:
- Heat/ Cool Min Delta to be tapped upon and set up to be done to your liking.
- Check the wiring as this is the reason behind many heating problems
- Go ahead and check the fan control. If it is on the thermostat. Could you change it to the furnace?
Find below the step-by-step guide:
- The steps to be followed are the same as above but till the installation menu. After that, follow the steps below:
- First, check for Equipment in the display that opens up.
- Then, click on the furnace and go to the fan control in heat mode.
- Click on HVAC
Yes, the whole process can be frustrating. It is undoubtedly more frustrating when the problem persists. But unfortunately, the solution may not be in our hands now.
Step 7 – Contact the Customer Support
Do not worry. We have one last thing to try. This step may take more time than usual, but a solution is guaranteed. This step is about calling the experts to help you. Professionals in the field can be of great help, and you may need them.
First, tell them all the methods and procedures you have already tried. Then, schedule a visit by a technician or ask them if they can help you on the call.
Step 8 – Reset Ecobee Smart Thermostat
Did you know that resetting your thermostat can help you get your Ecobee to switch on again? Follow these steps to reset your thermostat: Press Menu from the Home screen.
- Make a selection of options.
- Go to the Reset button.
- Select Reset All Settings, then hit Yes to confirm your choice.
- Choose the appropriate reset option for you, which should most likely be “Reset Schedules and Preferences.”
- The factory defaults for the Ecobee thermostat will be restored.
Why is my thermostat not turning the heat on?
- The thermostat’s heat point is set lower than the ambient temperature.
- Specific thermostat settings may be preventing the heat from coming on.
- The furnace isn’t getting any electricity.
- The furnace is scorching.
Read through if you have read this far and know what to do when this situation arises. We will also mention the reasons behind your thermostat not turning on.
The reasons are as follows:
- Whenever the temperature isn’t rightly set
- When the settings aren’t accurately done
- If there is a malfunction and the furnace isn’t starting.
- Suppose the device is getting all overheated.
- This problem of overheating happens because of two reasons:
- When the airflow is reduced from the original level.
- There is no power to the furnace you are using. Therefore, there are chances of break switch tripping.
- There are chances that your thermostat is not calling for heat.
- There is also a chance your set temperature is below the room’s actual temperature.
The fixing of the thermostat was not this easy ever before. We had a look in the dept of fixing the issue in hand. It is essential to take this step-by-step approach precisely. Through this article, we discussed why this problem surfaces. We also listed the ways to resolve these issues one by one. Use this article whenever in need and get a quick fix.