There are few items that you should never flush as they might cause a blockage in the sewage system. The list of these items is discussed in this post. So, let’s start
Why You Should Not Flush Everything
- Your sewage system is being designed to carry only human waste, water, and toilet paper.
- It means that only toilet paper, water, and human waste are safe to flush.Even sometime flush able items are found clogged in the pipe. Don’t flush them.
- Flushing everything can lead to service interruption and expensive repairs to the home and municipal plumbing lines.
- The cost of repairing falls on you when a blockage occurs in plumbing.
- The untreated sewage can back up into your home when clogs or breakdown occur in your home sewage system.
- Untreated sewage is harmful to the eco-system too because of dangerous pollutants can increase bacteria and nitrogen. And a high level of nitrogen and bacteria decreases local aquatic life, beach closure and can also damage health by consuming seafood.
Things You Should Never Flush
1. Food Fat
It can be a big problem when it tends to bind around wet wipes.
It can stick together in a pipe and can carry other garbage with it. Like hair, which will create a blockage in your sewage system. And because of this, you have to clean your sewage every 3 months.
The cotton of Sanitary Napkins gets easily snag in your home plumbing pipes having any break. It’s cotton easily get caught in the line.
4. Oil And Lubricant
Its get cool down in the water and change into chunks, which will cause a blockage in a plumbing system. That is why cooking oils should never be washed away down the drain.
There is gel inside the diaper which cannot be dissolved, it swells when wet and then it blocks the pipes.
6. Cat Litters
It can not dissolve in water. It makes big chunks in sewage and it’s enough to block your pipe easily. Because of this, it is prohibited to flush.
It seems small and harmless but it is made of plastic which is non- biodegradable and hence it is enough to cause blockage in your sewage system.
It is made for plastic which is non- biodegradable. And after mixing with other items in your pipes it blocks your sewage system.
9. Dental Floss
Dental Floss is non- biodegradable. And when it is flushed it wraps with another object in the pipeline and makes the blockage bigger.
Nappie is made from plastic which when comes in contact with water expands. It can easily get trapped in the bend of sewage pipeline.
Many people keep fish in their sewage system. Mainly Gold Fish, Hamster, and Gerbils are used for this. But it can block the sewage system when the fish die.
12. Pharmacy Wastages
Sometimes people flush pharmacy wastage into water such as a bandage, syringe, medicine, etc. And it is very dangerous and unhygienic. It makes water toxic, as well as bandage and syringes, blocks the Sewage system.
Flushing non- vegetable food item such as Chicken, fish, etc. can cause trouble. The bone of these food items damage the sewage system.
The paint is fluid and it has viscosity and it causes problems when it joints a fatberg. It settles at the bottom of the sewage and traps wood and wet wipe on it. And again these things will block the sewage system.
Hair collect and form a ball which thereby can block the sewage system.
16. Cigarettes Butt
Cigarette Butts are toxic and when it is flushed it reaches to the marine life and when they eat it, then they suffer from many diseases.
Flushing everything can damage your sewage system and can even break it. Further, when a blockage occurs the sewage system starts pushing sewage water, inside your home. All this together can be irritating and expensive at the same time. When many harmful substances are flushed it affects our ecosystem and marine life. So in order to not create such situations, you should flush only the things that are flushable.