If you are searching the market for a video doorbell, you might have come across Nest Hello Doorbell and Ring Video Doorbell. The decision to choose one among them might have put you into a dilemma. To figure this out, we have done thorough research and testing. We had a face-off between the two doorbells to figure out which one is the best for you. Here, find the difference between Ring Video Doorbell Vs. Nest Hello.
Both the doorbells are well-known options in the doorbell market segment. A side-to-side comparison suggests both of them have certain similarities and few differences. Both Nest and Ring offer high definition video quality, infrared night vision, a field of view of 160 degrees, two-way audio feature, video recording, storage, and silent mode. The differences stand in the way of choosing one of them. Despite its high price and subscription charges, Nest Hello can be considered a better option as it provides a better, clearer, and sharper video quality than Ring. This is the most important feature which you might look for. Nest and Ring both require a subscription to avail of a few of their features. It completely depends upon you which one you would choose according to your budget. Nest has a little higher subscription charge but provides more and better features in its Nest aware subscription package than the subscription facilities provided by Ring video doorbell. Nest Hello also has more features than Ring doorbell, with or without subscription packages. It also works with Google Assistant and Alexa. The Nest Hello Doorbell is declared as the winner of the face-off. It is because Nest hello has advancement over Ring Video Doorbell in terms of certain features, video quality, specifications, and integration. It has all the required features you would wish for in your doorbell.
Ring Video Doorbell Vs. Nest Hello: Comparison Chart
|Category||RING VIDEO DOORBELL||NEST HELLO|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080p||1600 x 1200p|
|Night Vision||Infrared night vision||Infrared night vision|
|Field of View||160 degrees||160 degrees|
|Facial recognition||Not available||Available|
|Pre-recorded messages||Not available||Available|
|Subscription Facilities||Review videos, Download videos, 7 days of cloud storage||Five days of video history, All-day recording, Intelligent and quick alerts, Time lapses and activity zone|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
You will have to look and the differences and ascertain which one best suits your needs for choosing one among them.
1. InstallationRing Video Doorbell has a less complex installation procedure as compared to Nest Hello Doorbell Video Doorbell. Nest doorbell is recommended to be installed by a professional. You will also have to make sure that your current doorbell setup is compatible with the nest Hello. Whereas, Ring video doorbell can be installed by anyone who has a little knowledge of home improvement. Ring does not require any particular kind or doorbell system to be installed.
2. Pre-recorded Messages
Both video doorbells have two-way audio feature and noise cancellation. Ring Video Doorbell has the feature of two-way audio and noise cancellation. Nest Hello, along with these features, has echo cancellation and prerecorded messages features. The pre-recorded audio message feature responds to the visitors when you cannot answer your doorbell’s call.
3. SubscriptionRing Video Doorbell and Nest Hello doorbells require respective subscription charges for availing certain facilities. The subscription rate of Ring video doorbell starts at $3, whereas of Nest, it starts at $5 for a month. Subscription facilities provided by Ring include review, share, and save videos. Without a subscription, you won’t be able to review and download videos. The subscription features in Nest hello include five days of video history, all day recording, intelligent and quick alerts, time-lapses, and activity zone. To take full advantage of the face detection feature and smart alert you need to have a subscription.
4. Video Quality
The video quality of Nest Hello Doorbell is better than Ring owing to its HDR high-resolution camera of 1600*1200. Nest has a camera resolution of 1920 x 1080, which is higher than Nest, but the Video quality of Nest was found to be clear, sharp, and better than Ring Video Doorbell.
1. Night Vision
Nest Hello Doorbell and Ring Video doorbell both have an infrared night vision feature. This will help to detect any person at your door during night time.
2. Field Of View
The field of view of both the doorbells is 160 degrees. Ring doorbell, in addition to this, provides a 90 degrees vertical field of view.
Subscription packages are required to be purchased in case of both the doorbells. Certain features of both can only be availed by subscription.
4. Two-way Audio
With the two-way audio facility, you can talk with the person on the other side of the door. Both the doorbells come with this feature.
5. Silent Mode
The doorbells have a silent mode, with the help of which you can turn off your doorbell’s sound. You will instead get an alert on your connected device.
Features And Technical Specifications Of Ring Video Doorbell
- 1080p HD video doorbell that lets you see, hear and speak to people from your phone, tablet, or select Echo device....
- Get notifications whenever motion is detected by adjusting your motion zones.
- With Live View, you can check in on your home any time through the Ring app.
The Ring video doorbell comes with the following features for better security:
- It has a motion sensor with custom motion zones, infrared night vision, and theft
- protection feature
- It has a crystal-clear 720HD video
- It can be powered with its built-in rechargeable battery or can be connected to
- your existing doorbell wiring for a continuous charge
- Easy and simple installation and setup
- Can be connected to iOS, Android, Mac, and Windows 10 Devices
- It has a field of view of 180 degree
- It comes with a two-way audio feature with noise cancellation
- It can stand in a temperature ranging from -5 to 120 degree F and is weather
- Wi-Fi connectivity and requires a minimum upload speed of 500kbps
Specifications of Ring Video Doorbell
- Product Dimensions – 12.65cm x 6.17cm x 2.21cm
- Video resolution – 720HD
- Battery – Hardwired (8-24 VAC)
- Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi connection @2.4GHz
- Subscription – $3 to $10 per month
- Shape – Rectangular
Features and Technical Specifications Nest Hello
The Google Nest Hello Doorbell video doorbell allows you to interact with visitors at your door. The built-in HD camera in the doorbell has a night vision with which you can see your visitors from your smartphone.
The Nest Hello video doorbell has the following features in it:
- It has a 27/7 streaming feature with a facility to view 3-hour snapshot history to
- see what is missed
- It has night vision featuring 850nm infrared LEDs.
- Allows you to save pre-recorded messages to respond to visitors when you
- cannot answer
- It has a high-resolution camera of 1600*1200p
- It can be connected to select Apple iOS and Android devices.
- It allows you to accept the video feed, receive alerts and speak with your visitors
- from your smartphone
- It comes with a motion detector and a sound alert system.
- It comes with a mounting kit and requires a wired doorbell and chime.
- The two-way audio comes with noise and echoes the cancellation feature.
- It has a 3-megapixel color-sensor camera with an 8x zoom.
- It comes with a diagonal field of view of 160 degrees
Specifications of Nest Hello Video Doorbell
- Product dimensions – 1.7 x 4.6 x 1 inches
- Product weight – 0.3 pounds
- Power source – Electric
- Brand name – Google
- Video resolution – 1600*1200
- Connectivity and compatibility – Wi-Fi, Android, and Apple iOS
- Subscription – $5 to $30 per month
- Shape – Oval
What you get with Each Box
The things included in the Ring video doorbell box are:
- Ring video doorbell Pro
- Four faceplates and a backplate
- Screws and anchors
- Wire clips and wire extensions
- Power kit
- User’s manual
The things included in the Nest Hello box are:
- Doorbell chime connector
- Wedge plate
- Nest hello release tool
- Masonry drill bit and anchors
- Window decal
- Wire extenders
- Wall plate mount with mounting screws
- Quick start guide
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Some of the frequently asked questions about Ring Video and Nest Hello doorbells have been provided below so that you don’t have to rush through websites to find them.
Yes, Nest Hello requires a subscription for certain features. With a subscription, you can have features such as familiar face alerts, activity zone, time-lapse, and clips. These features are not available without a Nest Aware subscription.
Yes, both the doorbells require monthly subscription fees for a few of its features. Nest’s monthly subscription fees start from $5 per month, whereas Ring subscription starts from $3 per month.
To remove a nest camera doorbell, you need to insert the release tool into the hole on the bottom and press upward until Nest snaps off the base. When it’s done, pull it away from the wall and off the base.
Both the doorbells store the videos in cloud storage continuously. Nest stores up to 30 days of video history in the cloud. The ring doorbell stores video history for up to seven days in the cloud storage.
The Nest Hello is a new entrant in the doorbells market segment, whereas Ring has been in the market for years. But you cannot consider market time as a base for purchasing a doorbell. This write-up has focused upon the Nest Hello and Ring Video Doorbell. Our recommendation is Nest Hello Doorbell. Despite being new in the market, it ran away with its quality and performance. Nest Hello has a better video quality and more features at a better price than the ring video doorbell. Ring doorbell is a fine choice, but Nest beats it in terms of price, quality, and features.