To water a lawn nothing can be better than a smart water sprinkler system The two customer loved sprinkler in the market are Rachio and Rain Bird smart sprinkler systems. Both of them are great in their functioning and performance but you might be confused about which one to choose.
We have tested both the smart sprinkler systems to choose the best one. In this article, we have done a study on their differences and similarities. Go through the below paragraphs to find out which one is the best fit for your lawn.
This comparison was between a long runner and a new entrant in the smart sprinkler segment. On one hand, is the Rain Bird sprinkler system. It has been providing its excellent products in this segment for over 80 years. On the other hand is Rachio which has been in the sprinkler segment for over a few years. But this does not make Rachio anywhere less of Rain Bird.
Rachio is one of the leading smart sprinklers in the market. Rain Bird has been in the market for a long. It has set standards for durability, reliability, and effectiveness. After testing, we confirmed Rachio to be the winner. It has different zone models, a great temperature range, indoor and outdoor enclosure, connectivity with various smart devices, rain sensors, and soil sensors. All these features of Rachio give a flawless performance and are absent or less effective in Rain Bird.
Rachio has default 8-zone control which is configurable up to 16-zones. In Rain Bird, no zone models are present for the users. Rachio also has an operating temperature range of -31 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. It also has rain and soil sensors. Rain Bird only has Rain sensors present in it. While the best point of Rainbird is its indoor and outdoor usage without enclosures and on-unit manual control. But, the other limited features in Rain Bird make it stand behind the Rachio smart sprinkler system. If you want to get all the updated, advanced, and efficient features, we recommend you to get a Rachio smart sprinkler system.
Rachio Vs. Rain Bird: Comparison Chart
|OPERATING TEMPERATURE||-31 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit||-|
|Usage||Indoor/ Outdoor with enclosure||Indoor/ Outdoor|
|Connectivity||Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Wink, Nest||Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Wink, Nest|
|Manual Control||No manual control||On-unit manual control|
|Internet requirements||2.4ghz Wi-Fi internet connection||2.4ghz Wi-Fi internet connection|
|Dimensions||2.165 x 7.25 x 7.25 inches||6.25 x 6.25 x 1.54 inches|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
You will have to look at the differences and find out which one best suit your needs. To select one among them, go through the differences.
Although both of them are smart water sprinklers, they differ in their shape and size. The dimensions have nothing much to do with the quality and efficiency of a product. Visual appeal is also important for some people.
The dimensions of Rachio are 2.165 x 7.25 x 7.25 inches whereas of Rain Bird are 6.25 x 6.25 x 1.54 inches. You can see the difference between the dimensions.
2. Soil sensors
Soil sensors are present only in Rachio and not in Rain Bird. They operate mostly like the rain sensors. It works when the moisture threshold in the soil is met or exceeded the required limit. Then the sensors automatically interrupt the normal watering events. It retains until the moisture in the soil dries out or goes below the threshold limit.
3. Manual Control
The manual control feature is another difference. It is present in both Rachio and Rain Bird water sprinklers. Manual control feature is available on the unit. Manual control is available in Rain Bird whereas it is absent in Rachio.
Rain Bird comes with an on-unit manual control system for the users of the smart water sprinklers. This is helpful when you are not having your smartphone at the moment. You will be able control the sprinklers through the on-unit controllers.
After their shape and size, the two sprinklers differ in weight as well. When you want to determine which one to buy, weight does not create much of a difference. The weight of Rachio is 2.7 Lbs whereas of Rain Bird is 1.5 Lbs.
The usage of the sprinklers refers to their indoor and outdoor usage. For determining which one to buy it can stand as a major point. You can use both the products indoors as well as outdoors. The point of difference stands in the outdoor usage with an enclosure.
Rachio smart sprinklers when used outdoors need an enclosure. This is not the case with Rain Bird. You can use Rain Bird outdoors without enclosures.
6. Zone Control
Zone control also stands as a major point of difference in both the smart sprinkler systems. Rachio comes with a default 8-zone model which is configurable up to 16-zones. In Rain Bird no zone-control are present. This makes the Rachio sprinkler system more effective efficient to use.
Knowing the similarities is also as important as knowing the differences. After reading through this section, you’ll get to know how the two are similar.
The first similarity between Rachio and Rain Bird is the app. You need to connect the smart sprinkler systems to a smart device through the Rachio or the Rain bird app.
2. Rain Sensors
The next similarity between Rachio and Rain Bird are the rain sensors. Rain sensors are present in both of them. When the rain sensors are present the sprinklers stop sprinkling water. It happens in any instance of rain observed.
3. Cloud Syncing
Another point of similarity between the two is the cloud syncing facility. Cloud syncing feature is available in Rachio as well as Rain Bird smart sprinkler system.
Rachio and Rain Bird sprinkler system are compatible with the major smart device systems. You can pair the smart sprinklers with smart devices. The devices are Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Wink, Nest etc.
5. Internet Requirements
Both the sprinkler system requires a similar internet connection for their functioning. They need a 2.4 GHz WI-Fi internet connection for them to perform their daily tasks. There can be certain hurdles in their performance without it.
Features And Technical Specifications Of Rachio
It is for the future of smart watering. Rachio is one of the leading smart sprinklers in the market.
The Rachio smart water sprinkler has the following features in it:
- The water sprinkler system is an 8-zone or 16-zone model. It is to fit the sprinkler configuration.
- The smart sprinkler is compatible with smart devices. The smart devices are Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Wink, SmartThings and IFTTT.
- You can control the water sprinklers by the Rachio app.
- There are many watering modes available. The modes available are: Fixed interval, Fixed Days, Flexible Monthly and Flexible Daily.
- It comes with EPA WaterSense certified technology which saves up to 50% on watering costs.
- It has an easy and simple installation process.
- Rachio has rain and soil sensors in it.
- You can use it indoors and outdoors as well. You can use it outdoors with enclosures.
- It has Internet Requirements of 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi internet connection.
- The watering is based automatically on real-time weather and seasonal adjustments.
- Rachio Provides weather reports on how much water is being used and saved.
- Items in the box: Rachio smart sprinkler controller, Power supply with cord, Mounting screws, Drywall mounts, Quick Start Guide
Specifications of Rachio
- Product Dimensions – 2.165 x 7.25 x 7.25 inches
- Product Weight – 2.7 Lbs
- Temperature range – -31 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit
- Power supply – External Transformer (6 feet cord)
- Internet Requirements – 2.4ghz Wi-Fi internet connection
Features And Technical Specifications Of Rain Bird
Rain Bird water sprinklers are famous for setting standards. The standards for durability, reliability and effective watering system are set. Spend your weekends enjoying rather than worrying about watering your lawns.
The Rain Bird smart water sprinkler has the following features in it:
- Waters your lawn automatically. It also eliminates the problem of hose and sprinkler adjustments.
- Covers medium size lawn areas from 1000 to 3000 square feet.
- It has a professional-grade hose-end timer and a dependable 32SA rotor.
- Rain Bird has a self-draining feature to avoid freeze damage in winter seasons.
- Each rotor has 19-24 feet watering range and a water pressure of 45psi.
- The rotors have an adjustable rotational arc. It is from 40 to 360 degrees with a standard flat-blade screwdriver.
- The nozzles have a high efficiency which produces large droplets avoiding windblown overspray.
- You need not move the hose and sprinklers which in turn save your time.
- Items in the box:Durable automatic horse-end timer, Pop-up rotary sprinklers, Distribution tubing, Fittings, Extra nozzles, Rotor screwdrivers, Automatic drain valves
Specification of Rain Bird
- Product Dimensions – 6.25 x 6.25 x 1.54 inches
- Product Weight – 1.5 Lbs
- Internet Requirements – 2.4ghz Wi-Fi internet connection
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many zone controls are present in Rachio and Rain Bird smart sprinkler systems?
There are no zone controls present in Rain Bird. Rachio comes with default 8-zone controls which are configurable up to 16-zone controls.
2. With what devices can I pair the Rachio and Rain Bird sprinklers?
You can pair both the smart sprinkler systems with a number of smart home devices for your ease. The devices with which the sprinkler systems can be paired are Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Wink and Nest.
3. Which among the two is the best?
As per our recommendation, Rachio is the best one among the two.
Among the two, Rachio is a new entrant. Rainbird is the long-runner in the smart sprinkler segment compared to Rachio. Rain Bird has been bestowing its services and products for over 80 years. The products do equal justice to its long history. On the other hand, Rachio has been in the market for a comparatively smaller period. This makes it no less than Rain Bird. It has all the requisites of a smart sprinkler that one could ask for. Rachio took away this battle between the long runner and new entrant as it stands ahead in a number of features and services. Thus, we recommend you to try your hands on the Rachio smart water sprinkler.
Tom H says
It is my understanding that Rachio allows only one remote user? Additionally, it can’t be controlled manually?
This comparison shows the Mickey Mouse rain bird controller vs a real rain bird controller typically used in a quality installation. Just saying…
…seems like a scewed evaluation favoring Rachio from the get-go. Additionally, the evaluations mix the sprinkler evaluation with the evaluations of the two controllers. Very confusing. Not well written.