The need for proper security in homes and commercial establishments has increased a lot with the changing time. Today, issues like breaking in, lock picking and lock bumping have become prevalent. To ensure the proper security of one’s property, the top lock brands have been working towards designing and manufacturing high-security and innovative locks to address the increasing need for security.
Below is a list of the most trusted lock brands available today.We have curated the list based on security, durability,innovative features, popularity and how well they can address the needs of the user.
Most Trusted Lock Brands
One of the most popular locks in the United States, Kwikset has been a top and well-trusted brand ever since 1946, the year the company was founded. This brand’s effort towards achieving the needs of its customers has resulted in a wide range of locks with different features. It is also one of the cheapest brands. However, it has been found that the standard Kwikset lock is very easy to pick. To make up for this, the company has designed a new, technology-intensive range of models.
These new models include the Kwikset Smartkey Security deadbolts and keyless combination locks.
- Designer style and superior security with this Kwikset Signature Series product
- For use on exterior doors where keyed entry and security is needed
- Featuring SmartKey re-key technology; re-key the lock yourself in seconds in 3 easy steps
The Smartkey Security lock can be used on exterior doors where keyed entry and highest security are needed. It features a re-key technology, allowing the user to re-key the lock in 3 simple steps. It also features an adjustable latch compatible with all door models.
b. Kwikset 99070-101 (Keyless)
- Designer style and superior security with this Kwikset Signature Series product; Smart key security re-key technology is...
- Customized automatic door locking after 30 seconds for peace of mind and keypad stays lit for 5 seconds after inactivity
- Featuring smart key security, which protects against advanced break in techniques and allows you to re-key your lock...
This model ensures superior security. It has a keypad for the user to record a locking and unlocking combination. It also features Smartkey Security which prevents break-ins and rekeying technology as well. It has a latch which can fit all door types. It has however been found that Kwikset’s main target is the residential market and the brand has recently come under fire for using plastic parts to manufacture their locks, which curbs their longevity and makes them more vulnerable to break-ins.
Schlage is a well-known name in the lock industry and you will most definitely find its models in most hardware and home improvement stores. It offers a wide range of lock types such as deadbolt, knob, smart locks, electronic locks, etc. They are slightly costlier than Kwikset locks, but as they are made of premium metal, they are more sturdy, durable and resistant to lock picking and bumping.
Schlage’s electronic locks and deadbolts have plated key and premium metal construction, and are available in a variety of finishes and styles. These locks are extremely durable and come with a fingerprint resistant screen. Some models also have the additional feature of connecting to your phone or mobile device. These locks are extremely easy to install and compatible with standard door preparations. Here are a few Schlage lock recommendations:
a. Schlage B60N716 Deadbolt
- IDEAL USE: Deadbolt thrown or retracted by key from outside or by inside turn unit; perfect for use on entry doors with...
- ADVANCED SECURITY FEATURES: Ideal for front doors and exterior entrances where security and style are needed; includes...
- CERTIFIED HIGHEST SECURITY: Premium metal construction and quality craftsmanship for everyday strength and peace of...
This model operates with a key for exterior locking and unlocking and a thumb turn on the interior, making it suitable for places that require additional security. It has an innovative Snap and Stay design that holds the deadbolt in place. It offers super resistance to crowbars and wrenches and can be fixed on most door types.
b. Schlage FE595VCAM619ACC Camelot Keypad Entry
- This item is Schlage FE595VCAM619ACC Camelot keypad accent lever door lock, satin nickel
- Used for hardware, door, gate & window hardware accessories
- The product is manufactured in Mexico
This model is compatible with standard door preparations and is ideal to use for front doors, back doors, garages, etc. It does not require any programming as it is pre-programmed with 2 user codes. Therefore, it is ready to use right out of the box. Also, its keyless mechanism provides maximum security.
Although the company has evolved a lot since 1920, its founding year, it still strives to be as meticulous and hardworking as it always has been. Its effort towards innovation and perfection has led it to achieve a harmony of style and safety.
Available in most home improvement stores, Baldwin locks are pretty decent and highly trusted by most people in the United States. They are known for their stylish designs and outstanding security. This company has traditional lock options as well as modern, contemporary ones. They blend well with different home decors and come in an impressive range of styles such as levers, knobs, keyless entry, deadbolts, etc. Here are a few lock recommendations from this brand:
a. Baldwin Prestige Carnaby Bed/Bath Knob in Venetian Bronze
- Baldwin Prestige offers effortless, accessible style and luxury with superior security
- Traditional-oval design shown in a venetian bronze finish
- For use on interior doors where a privacy function is required, such as bedroom and bathroom doors
This model offers an effortless style as well as maximum security. It has the traditional oval design in a Venetian bronze finish. It can be used in interior doors where privacy is required such as bedrooms and bathrooms. It is compatible with standard door preparations.
b. Baldwin Prestige 380 Arched Single Cylinder Deadbolt
- Baldwin Prestige offers effortless, accessible style and luxury with superior security
- Rustic inspired design shown in a venetian bronze finish with keyed entry for exterior doors
- Featuring SmartKey Security; re-key the lock yourself in seconds in 3 easy steps
This model offers accessible style and luxury as well as superior security. It has a rustic design with a bronze Venetian finish. It features a keyed entry for exterior for, as well as the SmartKey technology, i.e., the lock can be rekeyed in 3 simple steps.
4. Corbin Russwin
If you are looking for heavy duty locks of commercial grade, Corbin Russwin is the brand for you. They are mainly used for classrooms and other similar institutions and are extremely easy to install and repair. They offer superior security and are very difficult to pick, even the traditional ones that do not use any technology or security codes. With time, however, they do get easier to damage, therefore it is advisable to replace them regularly. Their sturdiness and sleek design make them popular in high traffic institutions like schools, hospitals, hotels, etc. If you are looking for locks that are strong, stylish and simple to operate, Corbin Russwin is the brand you should choose. Here are a few recommendations for Corbin Russwin products:
a. Corbin Russwin CL3851 NZD 626
b. Corbin Russwin 1000-118-A02-6-L4 Cylinder Standard
This is an international brand and is favored by millions worldwide, for both residential and commercial use. It is one of the oldest in the industry and is considered the inventor of the pin tumbler lock. Yale locks are sturdy and well manufactured, and the company aims to keep its customers safe, secure and satisfied. Here some recommendations for products of the brand
a. Ultraloq UL3 BT
- World's First 5-in-1 Keyless Entry Smart Lock, Fingerprint + Code + Smartphone + Knock to Open + Key
- Advanced Fingerprint Identification, Anti-peep Touch Keypad Technology, View Logs via Ultraloq App; Temperature: Inside...
- Reversible Handle, Weatherproof, Intuitive OLED Display, Long Battery Life, Low Battery Alarm
This is the world’s first 5-in-1 model, its features include keyless entry, smart locking, fingerprint scanning, smartphone connecting, etc. It has a reversible handle and is resistant to damage from any sort of weather conditions. Its LED display and long battery life make it stand out among other brands. It also has an auto-locking mechanism, thereby ensuring maximum security. This lock is very simple to install and can be done by the owner.
b. Yale Assure with Z-Wave
- Unlock your door without keys by entering your code on the lock's backlit keypad; Lock the door behind you by pressing...
- Lock and unlock your door from anywhere by adding the lock to a compatible Z-Wave smart home or alarm system and app...
- Replaces your existing deadbolt in minutes on standard doors, 1-3/4" to 2-1/4" thick with just a screwdriver. No...
This sleek model can be locked and unlocked by entering the code on the keypad, using actual keys, or through the app from your smartphone. It is compatible with Alexa, SmartThings, and Wink. It has an adjustable latch and also has features such as voice-guided assistance, privacy mode, and auto-relock.
The company Yale believes that freedom enriches us and fear makes us poor. To feel free, we must first feel safe and secure and that is exactly what this brand aims at achieving when they manufacture an impressive variety of products.
Mul-T-Lock is an award-winning company with multiple world-famous locking solutions. Their locks ensure maximum security and extremely resistant to picking and pumping. They have basic models as well as highly sophisticated ones such as cylinders, padlocks, and locksets. This company is also extremely popular because of its highly sophisticated deadbolt and key models. Its deadbolts have drill and pick resistance and a locking mechanism reinforced with steel pins, while its key models have side dimples and magnets to preventing lock bumping and duplication. Here are a few recommended products from this brand
a. Mul-t-lock MT5+ #10 C-Series
b. Mul-t-lock Hercular Double Cylinder Captive key Deadbolt
- All Mul-t-lock items come standard with 2 keys and 1 Mul-lock key code I.D. card.
As with all Mul-T-Lock models, both the above products come standard with 2 keys and 1 Mul-lock key code I.D. card. Mul-T-Lock has always been a front runner in its field and believes in promoting sustainability in all its manufacturing processes. It aims to make all its products safe and future proof. Its development process also runs on social responsibility and financial, thus making it a highly regarded company.
This company aims to manufacture products with superior security and durability. It was started in 1968 and has become a leader in manufacturing and creating modern security solutions. It has a large customer base of both industrial and residential users. It has a wide range of products such as Deadbolts, Visa navigation, Rim & Mortise Cylinders, Vending Equipment Locks, Banking Security Locks, and Parking Equipment Locks. It also manufactures keys that cannot be duplicated without a proper authorization document, thereby furthering strengthening the security of their products. Here are some recommendations from this brand:
a. Medeco 11TR50319 Maxum Residential Single Cylinder Deadbolt
- Medeco patented technology. #1 Rated Deadbolt.
- Uses key outside - thumb turn inside.
- No unauthorized key duplication.
This deadbolt model has Medeco patented technology. It uses a key for locking and unlocking on the exterior side and a thumb-turn on the interior. It is bump-proof and pick-proof, and its key(s) cannot be duplicated without authorization. Therefore, it ensures maximum security.
b. Medeco 55-020010#55 Series Brass Finish
No products found.
- Body Width: 1-3/4″ (mm).
- Shackle Size: 1-1/8″ (29mm) Tall.
- Comes with 2 security keys
Ten locking systems of this brand carry certification from GreenCircle Certified, LLC, which reviews products’ sustainability claims. If you’re looking for products that do the job and are manufactured keeping the environment in mind, Medeco is the right brand. They also have an eCylinder model, which has a wireless locking mechanism.
8. RR Brink
This brand is popularly known for manufacturing prison locks in the United States, which gives us a sure idea that it is a highly trusted company and ensures full security. When you want to be protected from strangers and uninvited guests, you must take every possible measure in making sure your home is fully secure. RR Brink locks can be counted on for this. A brand that is known for prison security is most definitely resistant to lock picking and tampering. Here are a few recommendations from this brand:
a. Brinks 2798-119 Bell Style Keyed Alike Door Knob and Deadbolt Set
- IDEAL APPLICATION - For use on exterior doors where keyed entry and security are needed. Fits all doors 1-3/8” to...
- READY TO INSTALL - Includes (2) keyed alike entry door style door knobs and (2) single cylinder deadbolts. Also Includes...
- USE - Fits both right-handed and left-handed exterior facing doors. Easy to install with only a Phillips screwdriver,...
This model has a keyed alike entry door knob and a single cylinder deadbolt. It meets the ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standards for pick and bump-resistance. It has a 4-way adjustable latch, it is easy to install, and it fits most standard door preparations.
- Features innovative, new Push Pull Rotate technology - the hands free way to open a door
- Reinforce your doors with the quality and durability of Brinks
- Fits all standard doors
This model features a Push-Pull-Rotate technology and reinforces the security of your door due to its durability. It is versatile and compatible with most kinds of doors. It is simple to install and can be done by the owner.
This is not a very popular brand but it is still trusted by its users. It has an extremely complicated magnetic locking system that is very difficult to pick. The use of magnetic key pins in their keys makes this brand stand out among others, and their keys cannot be duplicated without authorization. Here are a few products we’d recommend from this brand:
a. Evva EPS Euro Double Cylinder 62mm PB
- Finish: Polished Brass
- Cylinder Length:62mm
- Euro Double Cylinder
b. Evva 3KS Plus Euro Knob Cyl 72mm PB
One of the biggest names in the global market concerning lock manufacturing, Assa-Abloy was formed when the companies ASSA Sweden and Abloy Finland came together in the year 1994. It offers a full range of products, cutting edge locking solutions, and is always aiming towards providing reliable services to all its customers. ASSA-Abloy currently owns many leading lock brands such as Medeco, Yale, and Mul-T-Lock, all of which have been mentioned earlier in this article. Padlocks, deadbolts, profile cylinders, rim cylinders, this company has it all. Here are a few recommendations from this brand:
a. ABUS 80TI/50 Titanium Aluminum Alloy Padlock
- Light and Secure Lock: This titanium aluminum alloy padlock offers a high level of torsion with lightness; Features a...
- Corrosion Resistant: Made of titalium with approximately 30 percent reduced weight compared to brass padlocks, this...
- Padlocks for Any Application: Discover our full line of padlocks, from OSHA approved safety locks to heavy duty Granit...
This model has a special allow steel shackle with a protective coating. It has a high level of precision to reduce the chances of being picked or broken.
b. ASSA Lock SRB37 Resettable Brass Padlock
- 10,000 Combination Resettable Brass Padlock
- Brass Body
- Moly Shackle
This is a 10000 combination re settable padlock with a brass body and weather seals.
The lock industry has several big names and trusted brands, and there are different models available to address different requirement and different levels of security. However, although popularity is an important feature, you must choose a product suited to your needs. Make sure you weigh the pros and cons of every product before making a final purchase.