If you own or lease the U-Haul trucks, then you may know the importance of ensuring that the door is closed to avoid theft. Moving your cargo safely from one state to another stage in America can be a risky proposition if you don’t have the ideal locks on your U-Haul truck.
The good news is that your U-Haul truck has plenty of options to choose from. You can make use of the padlock, where the caliper must be produced from a sturdy material that can’t be cut out. We suggest you use one having 4 pins and a locking mechanism with two ball bearings. You can also use a disk lock if you want, which is mostly found on bicycles and motorbikes.
Want to know more, then read the below post that we have prepared for you on how to lock a U-Haul truck.
Methods To Lock A U-Haul Trailer Truck?
Locking a U-haul truck is essential for you. However, as these U-haul trucks do not come with a lock, you will have to buy a compatible lock.
To lock the U-haul truck, you have to focus on three crucial steps:
- Step 1 – Release- Keepers holding the lever in one place. Release the lever from the keeper.
- Step 2 – Rotate- It will be free to rotate as soon as you release the lever. Then, turn to the other side.
- Step 3 – Secure- Like you opened the door and secured it on the other side. Lock the lever similarly. You will get a click sound. Check if the door is firmly locked. As anyone can unlock this lever, we will install a strong lock with the hasp.
Locks That You Can Use For U-Haul Truck?
You can use any of the locks from the list below to lock the back of your truck. These locks will surely help you in preventing theft.
- Disk locks – Ensure buying one with a lifetime guarantee. It should be of stainless steel. We advise you to have a five-pin tumbler that fits any U-haul Truck.
- Combination lock – Resettable combination lock (10000 choices). It has material that will not get cut by a boltcutter.
- Padlock – Ensure the lock’s shackle fits in the hasp. Check for durability in padlocks, as we do not want them to be broken easily.
- Alarm Locks – Some locks raise alarms when they detect motion. These alarms only stop when the correct key is inserted.
U-Haul trucks do not come with a prescribed lock. But these locks are readily available. So first, install these locks in the door hasp. Then, put pressure on the door to check if it’s firm enough.
How To Lock A U-Haul Truck With Padlock?
Be it an owned U-haul truck or the rented one, The setup should prevent theft. Of course, you should have your lock handy with you. But which lock to buy is a question that arises.
There are various locks on the market, but we suggest you have a U-haul Padlock. Consider all these points before finalizing the lock for your U- haul Truck.
- Buy a strong shackle lock, as this would prevent easy cutting.
- Go for a four-pin lock or more.
- It is great to have your lock with a dual ball-bearing lock system.
- If you want a disk lock, ensure to buy a bigger option,
- A key or keyless lock is your choice.
The doors are either rollup ones or swing ones. We will guide you about the locking of both of them below:
- Step 1 – Look at the retainers/ keepers; if they are holding the door. The retainer is to be pulled out, and the keeper is to go free. Do the same on both sides.
- Step 2 – Latch them together. Do this to prevent them from moving back to an open position. Next, push the handle inside and downward to the chamber.
- Step 3 – After the latching process, install a lock. The lock goes inside the door hasp. Lock it up and prevent any kind of theft from happening to you.
- Step 1 – Pull the strap down, and the door returns to the bottom. Close it tight enough and check by applying pressure.
- Step 2 – You may have to apply pressure to latch the door in the chamber to keep it shut.
- Step 3 – Use any lock and lock the door to prevent theft.
How To Lock The Back Of A U-Haul Truck?
The closing and the opening process will be the same. The Release, Rotate, and Secure method will work for firmly closing and locking the back of your door. Ensure that you apply a lock to the lever to prevent unwanted movement. Apply any locks you have handy and lock the truck up.
Where To Put Padlock On U-Haul?
The padlock goes directly to the door hasp. Ensure that the door is closed rightly and the lever is in the locked-secured position. Be careful while buying the padlock. The idea is to have a lock that anyone cannot easily cut. Go for four-pin or more for more security.
What Size Lock For U-Haul Truck?
Many of you wonder what to do with the size. What size is perfect for your U-Haul Truck?
- The size should not be thick. Instead, use a lock that is of a thinner shackle. The shackle should be less than ½” in diameter. This size goes for any type of truck.
- Go for a compatible disk lock. We recommend you not use a basic/standard lock. Instead, use a strong, durable one.
You need to have a lock as a mandate for your U-haul truck. Park it legally and in a well-lit area. There is a 14$ a day insurance rental that U haul has. Ensure that you have your trailer or truck insured before beginning. This article discusses all you need to know about your U-haul truck’s lock. We described the steps to follow and what to ensure before starting a trip.
Leave a Reply