Ring doorbells are a must-have device in every house. With technology advancing with time, people are now having smart doorbells. This improves the security level of your home. As the name suggests, these doorbells detect motion.
So, whenever someone shows up at your door, you get informed. The notifications are sent to your smartphone. Its motion-sensing feature is what makes it a smart device. If that stops working, the Ring doorbell is like any other normal doorbell. In this article, we will learn how to fix this issue.
Method To Fix Ring Doorbell Motion Alert Malfunction
So, if your ring doorbell has stopped detecting motion, don’t worry. Some reasons lead to this issue. It is not always a technical glitch.
Rather it is something that you can resolve by yourself. Let’s discuss all those reasons and their solution.
For every solution that we will discuss, no tool will be required to do so.
It is just about some settings that need to be changed. If after trying every method, the problem stays,
you may call for technical help. Otherwise, these solutions are most likely to solve your problem. So, let’s have a glance at them.
1. Reason: Low sensitivity
The doorbell operates on heat detection. So, in case the sensitivity is set to low, the motion sensor might not work. The option is there on the settings and can be changed. Let’s see how it is done.
Solution: Increase sensitivity
If you simply increase the sensitivity, your problem will be solved. To do as such, follow the underneath steps for reference.
- Tap The Three Lines On The Top Left Of Your Ring App
- The very first step is to open the mobile app of the ring doorbell. Now click on the three lines present on the corner. It is available on the top left side.
- Select The Video Doorbell. Choose “Motion Settings.”
- The next thing to do is to choose the video doorbell. After that, you need to click on motion settings. This is one of the options that will come after you click on the video doorbell.
- The Motion Sensitivity Slider Is The Third Option In The Menu
- Here comes the main part which has the solution. Check the status of motion sensitivity. If it is low then slide it to the right to increase the level. Bring it to the third option. This is probably going to take care of the issue.
Now try to give it a test and see if it worked for you. On the off chance that not, then, check the following way out.
2. Reason: Motion Alert is ‘Off’
There could be a chance that the ‘motion alert’ is turned off. This altogether stops the doorbell from detecting motion. Check out the solution for this one ahead.
Solution: Turn on the motion alert
The steps for turning on the motion alert are as follows. But before moving ahead; just check that you have kept the notification on. Now follow these steps;
- Open Ring App & select ring doorbell
- Go to the mobile app of your Ring doorbell. From all the connected devices, choose ‘ring doorbell.’
- Click on ‘motion settings’, choose ‘motion zone’
Now, you need to click on the ‘motion settings’ option. After that, select the ‘motion zone’ from the options available.
- Tap on ‘Add motion zone’
By selecting this option, you are specifying the area for motion detection. Save the settings afterward.
The doorbell can cover up to 30 feet of distance. Check by this way, that your issue has been settled or not.
3. Reason: Motion Frequency is ‘light’
If the motion frequency is kept on the ‘light’ mode, it might not function well. On the frequency scale, it is the lowest option. Let’s see what the right mode should be.
Solution: Switch to ‘frequent’ mode
The ‘frequent’ mode is the third and the topmost mode. These modes are responsible for sending notifications. On the ‘frequent’ mode, you will receive more alerts. See the steps for changing it;
- Tap on the ‘ring doorbell’ icon on the app
Open the mobile app and choose the ‘ring doorbell’ app on it.
- Choose ‘Smart Alert’ from ‘motion settings’
Next, you need to click on motion settings. From the options appearing afterward, click on ‘Smart Alert.’
- Set it to ‘frequent’
There you will find the option saying ‘frequent’. Click on it and then save all the settings. Then try testing it to see if it works.
These are some of the problems that occur with the Ring doorbell’s motion. Try testing them all and there are some other small things that you can check for.
For example; make sure the signal is good, and there is enough heat that reaches the doorbell. Also, your phone shouldn’t be on ‘do not disturb mode as this restricts the notifications.
Now, you got to know about some of the reasons that cause trouble with the doorbell. As you know the solution to them as well, you can fix the issue. It is always too good to check the problems at your end first.
If after trying all the methods, the problem stays, you may call for help.