After researching and testing for 128 hours, we found the best z wave controllers for you. Among all the controllers, the GE Z-Wave Wireless Smart Lighting Control Appliance Module is the top performer. Next, best is the Samsung SmartThings Hub 3rd Generation . You can go for either as the performance of both controllers is almost the same, just the features may differ.
Best Z Wave Controller
|Product||Type||Voice Control||Check Price|
|GE Z-Wave Wireless||Plug-in Switch||No||Check Price|
|Samsung SmartThings||Smart Hub||Yes||Check Price|
|Vera Control||Smart Hub||Yes||Check Price|
|Wink WNKHUB-2US 2||Smart Hub||Yes||Check Price|
|Habitat Elevation||Switch||No||Check Price|
|GE Enbrighten||Switch||No||Check Price|
1. GE Z-Wave Wireless Smart Lighting Control Appliance Module- Best Z Wave Controller For Home
- The switch enables you to wirelessly control to turn lights on and off, schedule a timed event or create a custom scene...
- Features one always-on pass-through AC outlet and one Z-Wave enabled outlet.
- Space-efficient, side-plug design does not block lower outlet or obstruct placement of furniture.
Take a look at our first best pick presented as GE Z-Wave smart switch. It has a manual button as well as a remote pairing option to control the turning off lights on and off from anywhere in the home. You have just to plug in the device you desire to control with the switch and make your way for accessing it. Our team thoroughly tested the device, and they loved the way it performs.
It is obvious that if you are not tech savvy, then you may need technical support to set up and pair the devices. Yes, it doesn’t come up with an indicator to show that it is searching, but that’s not a big deal. According to our experts, the overall performance of this appliance is satisfactory with a budget-friendly option. Moreover, a smart and an active outlet on the side of the device can be installed in tight spots like behind furniture or things like fridges.
Among all the z wave controllers we have tested, the performance of this GE z wave controller is unmatched. Only Samsung SmartThings controllers are close to it in terms of performance.
2. Samsung SmartThings Hub 3rd Generation- Best Z-Wave Hub For Alexa
- Connectivity: Wirelessly connect and control a wide range of compatible smart devices from 100+ partner brands,...
- Home Automation: Teach the hub your Good Morning, Goodbye, Goodnight, and other routines to automatically turn devices...
- 24/7 Monitoring: Receive app alerts from connected devices when there’s unexpected activity in your home. Material:...
This is a SmartThings hub for your smart home by Samsung. The compatibility is also worth noting with 40+ brands, including a wide range of SmartThings smart devices, Z-Wave, Google, Alexa, Zigbee, and WiFi protocols. We have no problem installing the device with new SmartThings app. It ensures an easy initial setup plus you can further control your smart devices directly over your phone or tablet. You can even time schedules according to your daily routines. Check the compatibility of your desire to be connected smart device at SmartThings official website so that you will not end up with confusion and disappointment.
Although the hub is compatible with over 350 smart devices, it will not work with devices, namely Wyze, TP-Link, and Chamberlain. Plus, you need Android version of 6.0 or later and an ios version of 11.0 or later. And, if you own a Nest thermostat, the controller won’t work with it.
In terms of device connectivity and ease of use it right up there with GE Z Wave controller. But there are few brands which are not compatible with the system. Thus, lost few points on compatibility. But is a good z wave hub for Alexa.
3. Vera Control VeraEdge North American One Application Control- Budget-Friendly Z Wave Controller
- Home control hub that's simple to use and reliable; used by millions globally and requires no monthly fees or contracts.
- Compatible with Wi-Fi and Z-Wave. Provides the peace of mind that your home & loved ones are safe and secure.
- The "brain" of your wireless smart home/security system works with most brands & models including Amazon Alexa, Nest,...
This is a Vera Edge controller hub specifically designed to make your home into a smart home using the compatible z wave devices. Simply download Vera App and receive notifications on the go. The manufacturer has provided added convenience with mode settings such as Home, Night, Away and Vacation. You can also use Amazon Alexa for voice control. The manufacturer has a strong technical support system over the web. However, you won’t require much help. Even if you zero experience with this type of devices, you will encounter no difficulty installing the device.
Our team has thoroughly examined the preconfigured settings. We can even add devices later with no issues of complexity. Creating a new account for Vera Edge is not a big deal. This advice is for users who are already a Vera user and use other devices like Vera Lite etc. Yes, it comes with a cable for easy power supply source.
According to us, it is best in terms of quick response, stability as well as ease of app usage. And a number of devices it can connect is around 200, which is lower compared to other controllers, but it is enough.
4. Wink WNKHUB-2US 2 Smart Home Hub- Best Z Wave Hub For Google Home
- VOICE CONTROL: Works with Alexa and Google Assistant (devices sold separately)
- CONNECT ALL YOUR SMART DEVICES: Easily connect and manage your smart home ecosystem with Wink Hub 2. Compatible with all...
- ONE SIMPLE APP: Control all your home’s smart devices, no matter where you may be, using the Wink app on your...
Wink is another one of the best comprehensive brands of the smart hub. The hub has a sleek design and enhanced connectivity features. Just connect it with 5 GHz WiFi radio or an included Ethernet port. Its range for different protocols is much larger, which included Z-Wave, ZigBee, Bluetooth LE, Lutron Clear Connect and Kidde. For all time connectivity, you have to download a Wink smartphone app through which you can get real-time notifications. The compatibility with smart devices is also worth noting. It connects to 400 plus devices, including big brands like Go Control, Ecobee, Ring, Nest, Philips, Yale, Arlo, etc.
You can use it as both wired and wireless. At first, instance, if you get some troubleshoot while setting up the device, then it’s normal. After one or two more tries, it will be normal and stable in operation. This happens because sometimes the device will take some time while connecting.
If you own different devices that use different protocols, the Wink WNKHUB-2US 2 Smart Home Hub could be a great option. It supports almost all wireless protocols. It is a good z wave hub google home.
5. Habitat Elevation Home Automation- Most Data Secure Z Wave Hub
- Hubitat is changing how people live with smart devices, allowing them to “Elevate Their Home”. By combining the...
- Connects with many popular Zigbee, Z-Wave and Lutron smart devices (with RA2 or SmartBridge PRO) . Mobile app for iOS...
- After one time setup, no internet connection is required to use the Hubitat Elevation hub, so you can avoid latency and...
This is Habitat’s most comprehensive smart home hub with built-in ZigBee and Z-Wave. The main thing is that it uses no specific app. Rather, it uses other inbuilt applications such as Dashboard, Rule Machine, Mode Manager, etc. You can connect them to your mobile and feel the same thing as app except that it opens up in the browser of your phone. This USA version hub has numerous platform integrations including Amazon Echo, Google Home, IFTTT and a lot more compatibility features.
As a user, it needs little research because it contains all inbuilt apps. The design is similar to a thick coaster. Another thing that we have noticed is that it must be plugged into your home router first as it contains an Ethernet and a micro USB port. For setup, it takes around 30-40 minutes, but after putting some initial effort, it works amazing. And, those having Nest devices must ensure about its compatibility first with the manufacturer itself as it may have some issues.
If you are concerned about keeping your sensitive data safe, it is one of the most secure z-wave hubs. It could be a great option for an office environment.
6. GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Heavy Duty 40 Amp Smart Switch- Z Wave Plus Enabled Controller
- WEATHERPROOF – A rugged, wall-mount, metal NEMA-3R enclosure with lockable door withstands the elements for outdoor...
- UNIVERSAL USE – With multiple configuration possibilities, the double-pole/single-throw switch supports 120-277VAC and...
- ENERGY MONITORING – Remotely track Watts and kilowatt-hours when connected to a compatible Z-Wave hub that supports...
Here GE presents a smart switch all covered with a tamper-resistant metal case. The switch is featured with a wire connection block, LED lights on the front indicating power on/off status as well as an override switch to turn other connected devices on/off manually. There is also an external antenna that increases the wireless, and it also contains an inbuilt Z-Wave signal repeater to boost your home’s Z-Wave network. The fully protected switch is suitable for capturing large load including heaters, spas or pool pumps, etc.
As our experts have also noticed throughout the test experiment, Z-Wave Plus devices are comparatively more efficient than Z-Wave devices. Besides Z-Wave, the switch is also compatible with SmartThings, Ring, ADT Pulse, Nexia, Trane, Vivint, HomeSeer, Honeywell, etc. The time it will take to setup is around 3-4 hours based upon the power of connected devices. So, be patient in setting up the device. Honestly speaking, the range extender antenna works less than the Z-Wave certified hub.
GE Enbrighten is perfect if you want to build a Z-wave plus network. It is specially designed for it. However, because of the same reason, you may find it has a compatibility issue. We recommend it only for Z-wave plus protocol, otherwise, go for some other controller.
7. HomeSeer HomeTroller-SEL Home Controller- Best Remote Controlled Z Wave Hub
- RELIABLE & FAST LOCALLY PROCESSED AUTOMATION: HomeTrollers process all your automation locally, ensuring the highest...
- SAFE & SECURE: Every HomeTroller is designed to store all your sensitive information right there at home, never in the...
- WORKS WITH ALEXA, GOOLE HOME, IFTTT: Leverage the latest technology with your HomeSeer-powered home! Use Amazon's...
Our last best pick is Home Troller by HomeSeer. It operates upon free HomeSeer mobile app on android and apple devices. Even if there is no internet connectivity, you can operate it. Its compatible products list comprises of ZigBee, Z-Wave, Lutron, WiFi, Insteon, X10, IFTTT, Amazon(Alexa), Google Home, etc. The home troller collects your personal information, which will be kept totally private and not stored on the cloud.
If you are beginner, you will suffer a little while setting up the device as usual. Hence, remember the clear instructions and online help offered by the manufacturer. We also liked the app as it is user-friendly. Everything is easily to set using the app.
Overall, the product is worth the price with all necessary and exclusive features. The best part is that it’s a totally responsive device that is compatible with most of the z-wave devices. You can also use it different wireless protocols.
Buyer’s Guide- What To Consider While Buying Z Wave Controller?
You must understand Z-wave is a wireless protocol which works differently than Wi-Fi. Hence, you have to know what works for z-wave device and what not. To help you choose the best z wave controller, we have compiled some important factors that affect your decision to purchase.
Compatibility is the biggest issue when you are using z wave protocol. All the z wave devices connect only with other z wave device or controller. In case you to use different communication protocols and you need the device that can to interact with different protocols. Most of the hubs are known to use all types of communication protocols. One of the best examples of it is Samsung SmartThings Hub 3rd Generation .
Integration is important for you to want to control the tables with different modes of control. Like you may want to control it with your smartphone, or you may want to control it by voice using Alexa or Google Assistant. For that z wave controllers must be able to integrate well with the app or the AI. The good thing is all the z wave controllers come with the native app or has Google Assistant or Alexa support.
3. Protocol support
Since most of you may not be using z wave protocol purely for home automation, you may want a system that can use WI-Fi too. For that, you will have to make sure that the hub that you choose supports all kinds of communication protocols. For that, you must stick with big brands like Wink and SmartThings. They not only support different protocols, but they support all kinds of smart devices.
Not many users consider installation while buying the z wave controllers. You have to see that z wave devices interact with each other without any router or network like Wi-Fi. Hence, their placement and connectivity become crucial. You will also have to see if the controller that you choose act repeater for other device or not. Since it is the best way to improve the connectivity between the two z wave devices. Also, remember to do some research on how to install a particular z wave controller after your purchase. Because during testing, we struggle to install a few of the unit. We had to refer to installation guides and videos to solve the issue.
5. Remote control
Another way that you may want to control the z wave devices is by voice control or smartphone. When you are within the premise, you won’t have many issues. But when you are away, accessing the home automation system remotely is a major concern. You want to switch on lights or AC before you reach home. In such cases, if the z-wave devices can be accessed via the internet, it solves the issue. So while buying the z wave controller, make sure it can be accessed via the internet.
The basic function of the Z wave controller is to help you control the home automation. Your home automation may have different devices and different environment. Hence, you have to be aware of it while buying the best z wave controller for your home or office. Please refer to our list and buyer’s guide, before you make a purchase. Most of the doubts will be solved.