If you own a Schlage lock and it is continuously blinking red then it is essential to check whether it is working well or not. For security purpose the lock should remain strong. Hence, in this article we will discuss about the causes and how to fix it in simple steps to make the work easier.
Reasons For Red Blinking Of Schlage Lock
The reasons can be many or one, and we have listed them all in this section. So start spotting, troubleshooting, and solving the cause behind the blinking problem. The list is as follows:
1. Battery Low – The most common cause of a red blink is a low battery. The light flashing is a notification for you, saying replace the battery. There is a rule to follow when replacing this battery. First, ensure replacing all the batteries together. Do not mix the old slot with the new one.
We don’t want our expensive systems to experience hindrance because of a battery leak. Change the batteries only when the blinking is continuous. Constant blink with keypad not working is the effect of low batteries. But, if you neglect this indicator, a red blink and green light with a beep will come. This sign is of no battery power left.
2. Wrong type of batteries – Have a look at the manual to see which battery best suits your locks. Schlage locks come in various varieties. But, only one type helps your safety. Know which battery type and battery size to avoid the blinking problem.
3. Wrongly inserted batteries – The charge of a battery is responsible for the lock’s work. One ensures this placement by putting the battery correctly and with suitable poles. When the circuit completes, the blink stops, and the keypad starts.
- A Wrong User Code
- Error in Programming
How To Fix It?
We also have provided you with the steps to change your batteries to new ones. Listen to the warning and replace it by following what’s below:
It is an easy task but is quite essential for smart locks. The replacement should take place before the blinking of the lock. We recommend you put reminders on the calendar for the same.
Total Time: 16 minutes
Unmount the screws to get access to the inside of the lock.
Remove the cover and keep it aside.
Remove the old battery and replace it with the new one. (all batteries together)
Push the wires back in the chamber and place the cover. Tighten the screws.
- AA battery (alkaline)
Some designs will not require the pushing of wires inside the chamber. Instead, they have a separate battery compartment to replace the battery quickly. The company installed this compartment to ensure no hindrance to the functioning of wires.
Why Is It Blinking Red After Battery Change?
If you have replaced batteries, and the problem still exists, there is a bigger problem. The problem can be one of the following:
- Incorrect Code typed by the user.
- There is an error in the programming of the system.
There is another set of actions required for troubleshooting the error. Follow these easy steps and figure out what is wrong. The red blink can have a couple of reasons. Choose the one that goes for you after checking yourself.
- First, disconnect your smart hub from the keypad. This process will check if one of the two is faulty.
- Then, use the app to unpair the keypad and remove the batteries. Finally, give it a rest and put back the batteries.
- After correctly placing the battery, pair the keypad, and it’s good to go.
- The second plan of action is restoring the keypad to the factory setting. The setting it had when you bought it. This restoration ensures the removal of bugs, if any, for effective running.
Note: You will have to set it up again after the whole process. Give it the green light only if you are comfortable setting it up again. Factory restoration makes the setting just like when you bought it. While on it, check for wires hanging, loose, or not connected. The connection to be apt and tight at the same time.
When none of these actions solve your problem, call customer care. The last resort is to take expert help. Then, either follow the instruction on-call or schedule a visit. We will advise you to wait and use the keys and not the keypads. Now, if you wonder how to employ a key for smart locks. We have this information listed below.
Follow the pointers and make use of the key successfully.
a. Keypad Smart Locks – Insert the key and rotate to 270 degrees. After this, move the knob of the lock to open the door. The Key will stay inside the keyhole until the door is not locked again.
b. Keypad Deadbolt Locks – Insert the key and rotate 90 degrees. Now, push the key further and again rotate 90 degrees. The rotation will happen towards the hinges.
With endless benefits, one can ignore some blinks. However, this article was for you if you do not want that. First, we discussed the reasons for the problem and then discussed possible solutions. The solutions were also situation-specific; hence it was a cakewalk for a reader. Finally, we talked about when to reset your Schlage smart locks and how one can go about it in simple steps.