Which one is better between Nest Hello & SkyBell HD? One model can be better suited for you than the other depending on the factors that you are looking for. Both smart doorbell has different features concerning convenience and security.
After doing a thorough testing over a week we have shared our findings on these two.This will help you decide better.
As we move on, we will be answering the following questions that came to our minds while testing the doorbells. This way, you can have a better insight on which doorbell will provide you with the desired features.
- Installation– How well does the doorbell fit into the frame? Does the model require Hard-wiring? Does it run on batteries?
- Image quality– Which doorbell has a better resolution? Which model will provide better night vision?
- Security features– Can the doorbells detect motion? How are the notifications sent to the devices? Can the zones be customised? Which model comes with advanced features such as facial recognition?
- Recording– Can motion events be recorded? Which model provides subscription for the same?
- Smart Home Integrations– Which product is more compatible with the smart home features?
- Cost– Which product is worth its price?
Nest Hello Vs. SkyBell HD Comparison Table
|Category||Nest Hello||SkyBell HD|
|Video Resolution, FPS||HD UXGA 1600x1200, 30FPS||Full HD 1080p, 30FPS|
|Colour Night vision||No||Yes|
|Field of View||160 degree diagonal||180 degree diagonal|
|Live motion, Live-on demand||Yes||Yes|
|24/7||On subscription only||No|
|Pre-recorded response||Available||Not Available|
|Free Cloud Storage||For 3 hours Snapshots only||Stored video clips for 7 days|
|Video recording & Sharing||On subscription||Yes|
|Compatibility||iOS, Android||iOS, Android|
|Power option||Hardware to doorbell kit||Hardware to doorbell kit|
|Theft replacement, existing door chime||Yes||Yes|
|Colours||Black, White, Skin||Aluminium Bronze|
|Price||No products found.||Skybell HD|
Differences Nest Hello Vs. SkyBell HD
1. Field Of View
When it comes to Skybell, it can give a wide field of view. However, it is horizontal. So, it can cover the majority of the area but is unable to give a complete picture of the visitor. On the other hand, we were able to get a complete vertical view of the visitor in case of Sky Bell HD.
SkyBell HD follows the 16:9 format. After testing the quality of the image it was seen that the details were clearer in objects that were placed further away. The contrast between the dark and the light images was good as well.
However, we must say that the winner is Nest Hello. The resolution is top-notch. Besides, it captures a vertical image as mentioned earlier. You may ask how is that better? It is better because Nest Hello can capture the complete image of the person, from head to toe. This is better than Skybell which ends up capturing the extra wall on the sides. Without a doubt, the Nest is the best here.
High Dynamic Range. Nest Hello allows the user to view the picture such that it bears a close resemblance to what it would look like. The great news is that the image isn’t too dark or bright, which is the case in most cameras that use HDR. SkyBell HD provides you with great image quality, however, it does not come with HDR capabilities.
3. Night Vision
Here, SkyBell has a solid advantage over Nest Hello. SkyBell delivers a high quality of footage even during the night time. Even though both cameras can record in case there is low light, however, a colour recording is something present only in the SkyBell model.
4. Motion Sensitivity
Skybell comes with options such as Low, High and medium when it comes to zone customisation. No such option is available on Nest. However, in this aspect, both models can provide false-positive results depending on the location of the house. We tested the product on a fairly busy street and even the movement caused by a large vehicle triggered the alarm.
4. Video Storing
NestHello has the advantage here. It can store continuous videos and also allows rewinding the video. Now, this may be slightly expensive since this feature is available only on subscription.
SkyBell, on the other hand, doesn’t come with 24/7 video recording. However, it does come with a better storage capacity. You can have complete access to 7 days worth video recordings through your cloud. Nest Hello does offer snapshots, but it cannot live up to the storage support that comes with SkyBell HD.
5. Compatible Networks
SkyBell HD supports 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g.n networks while Nest Hello supports 2.4 or 5Ghz Wifi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac. Nest Hello offers slightly more sturdy connectivity as compared to SkyBell HD. It should be your choice in this case. But either way, you can have great connectivity with both the doorbells in case you decide to use a gigabit router.
6. Pre-recorded Responses
Nest Hello will provide you with pre-recorded responses. So in case you are not available at home, this is convenient. SkyBell lacks in this aspect.
7. Motion And Sound Detection
When it comes to Motion and sound detection, we have seen that Nest Hello comes with features that are not present in SkyBell HD. You can set motion-sensitive zones that come with subscription in case of Nest Hello. Further, you can customize the tracking too.
On the other hand, SkyBell lacks this feature. However, it does have the feature of adjustable motion sensitivity. But, it cannot compare to the feature provided by Nest Hello.
Nest Hello comes with some excellent features such as Alerts, Facial Recognition and Sound Detection. So, it can be said that Nest Hello excels when it comes to Motion and Sound detection.
8. Geoenforcing And Scheduling
Geoenforcing is an added feature in Nest Hello. It adjusts to your presence and comes with dynamic detection. This dynamic geoenforcing is not sufficient since the sensitivity of the device is not predictable. Hence, the Scheduling feature works well here. It can be scheduled according to your work hours or the night time. SkyBell lacks in this aspect.
Nest Hello is the better option here. It provides you with timely snapshots of the activity rather than just a simple notification. SkyBell HD also supports simple alerts.
The Nest Hello works in temperatures ranging from -10 to 40-degree Celcius while SkyBell HD works in temperatures ranging from -40 to 60-degree Celcius. SkyBell HD works better in harsh and extreme conditions as compared to Nest Hello.
11. The Size
Nest Hello without a doubt has a perfect size. It is small, sleek and can be installed on door rims and in compact places. So this way, you won’t need to reroute your wire if you install it in place of your existing doorbell.
SkyBell HD, on the other hand, has a circular shape. So we found it difficult to fit it on door rims. However, this does not pose much of a problem unless you are keen on installing it in place of your existing doorbell that lies in a compact area.
Both Nest Hello and SkyBell HD offer warranty for their devices. If you require an extended warranty then Nest Hello can be an option, since, it comes with 2 years coverage. SkyBell HD, on the other hand, comes with a 1-year warranty.
Both bells come with an anti-theft replacement policy. NestHello will immediately replace your doorbell once you provide them with a copy of the police report. SkyBell HD also ensures that you get security after the burglary.
14. Installation And Setup
The SkyBell HD doorbells are large as compared to their casings. Nest Hello, on the other hand, is of the right size. It can be easily installed into smaller and compact locations as well. To top it all Nest comes with a wedge that can allow you to install it at a 45-degree angle. This works well when the mounting needs to be done on a slim jam portion of the door.
When it comes to Setup, we found Nest to be more convenient since it can be set up using their QR code. Skybell, on the other hand, had a slightly tedious process such as connecting a wifi network and then running the app.
15. Monthly Charges
Nest comes with a premier subscription whereby you will get 24/7 full video recording for 5, 10 0r 30 days. The $5 subscription is worth it since it comes with a facial recognition feature as well.
SkyBell HD doesn’t have any monthly charge, It doesn’t offer a full video recording like Nest. However, it comes with 7 days of free-motion event recording which is uploaded to the cloud. This seems like a pretty solid deal.
16. Smart Home Integration
SkyBell works well with Amazon Echo, Kwikset, Stringify and IFTTT. Skybell HD can also be added to your SmartThings setup. Nest Hello is also integrated well with Alexa, IFTTT and Stringify.
But out of the two of them, we think that SkyBell is a better option since it is more flexible when it comes to smart home integration.
Nest Hello And SkyBell HD- The Similarities
Both Nest Hello and SkyBell HD shoot in high-quality videos. Apart from this, they come with two-way audio to ensure interaction with the visitor.
These devices come with motion detection as well as sound alerts. The devices also have the Live view feature. Besides, they have the zoom-in function along with the silent mode feature for the doorbell audio.
Nest Hello and SkyBell HD can accommodate video recording, video sharing and have cloud storage as well. Lastly, both these devices come with an anti-theft replacement policy. So they provide protection and warranty.
Features Of SkyBell HD
- Connect your Ring doorbell with Alexa then enable announcements to be alerted when your doorbell is pressed or motion...
- Lets you see, hear and speak to visitors from your phone, tablet and PC
- Sends alerts as soon as motion is detected or when visitors press the Doorbell
- 1080p HD video with full-colour
- Free cloud recording with no monthly charges
- Motion sensors
- Available in different colours
- Is easy to install
- Design- SkyBell HD comes with a puck-shaped device. It is 2.8 inches in diameter and is about an inch thick. It has a bronze or a brushed silver shade. Its box includes a double-sided screwdriver, a drill bit, mounting screws, anchors and an installation guide. The bell requires a power source of 10-36 volt. It uses the existing wiring in your house.
- Accessories- Nest Hello comes with customizable doorbells that allows you to adjust the aesthetics. Besides, you can buy the Power supply kit as well. This Kit can be particularly useful since it lets you place this on any door that is near the power supply.
- Items in the box-Skybell HD, Screws, Anchors, Concrete Drill Bit, Screwdriver, Handle to provide torque, SkyBell HD doorbell
Features Of Nest Hello
No products found.
- Interactive (Talk and See) with the visitor
- 1600×1200 portrait capturing
- Facial Recognition
- Continuous recording via nest aware
- IFTTT channel
- Integration with Amazon Alexa as well as Google Assistant
- Design- Nest Hello is slender and sleek. It fits well into tight spaces and areas. It is available in black colour only. The installation is slightly problematic. The bell needs to be hardwired to the home’s electrics. So you will probably need an electrician to install Nest Hello since it is not a simple task. Unlike SkyBell HD that uses the existing chime, you will need to purchase a new one in this case. It will take your electrician time to fit the bell using the nearest socket to the door.
- Nest Hello requires a 16- 24V AC transformer. So this might cause a bit of a problem since many of the models are 12V and upgrading the transformer is a hassle.
- Accessoories-SkyBell HD has a customizable installation process. We found it easy to relocate as well as wedge mount it for a better view. The digital doorbell adapter that comes with it allows a variety of chimes.
- Items in the box- Nest Hello Video Doorbell, Chime connector,15-degree wedge, release tool, Masonry Drill Bit, Window decal, Wall Plate, Extension wires, Wall anchors, Screws, Quick Start Guide
Yes. You can easily direct Alexa to project a video from your Nest Camera through the Amazon video player.
Nest Hello can be powered using the existing wiring in your house. It uses wires with a low voltage that can carry up to 30V AC. The battery is placed internally in the doorbell that is powered through the household wiring.
No, it is not mandatory to have a subscription with Nest Hello. It is optional. The subscription is called Nest Aware. Depending on the kind of features you wish to have, you can make your choice. Either way Nest Hello comes with a 2-year warranty.
Yes, Nest Hello has a sturdy waterproof design. It bears resistance towards water, rain, spray and dust. However, we don’t recommend submerging the doorbell in water. Nest Hello is designed well to withstand natural weather conditions.
In our opinion, use the wedge that comes along with the doorbell. That way you can tilt your camera at an angle of 15 degrees. This way you can get a wider view even if your doorbell isn’t located at an ideal spot.
No. SkyBell HD does not require hardwiring. However, it is preferable. Skybell requires a direct power source on one side and a resistor on the other. It must be powered using a low voltage transformer. This way the doorbell will be a part of the complete circuit. In case you decide not to use a wired doorbell chime, a resistor becomes a must.
In this case, Skybell is the winner. It will allow you to watch the live feed using the On-demand feature that can be found on the app. So basically the motion sensors will activate the doorbell when the visitor is at the door for 10 seconds.
In our opinion, you should choose your device based on your requirements. If you wish to have better storage options with no added costs, then SkyBell HD will be well suited for you. Apart from this, its wide-angle can be counted as one of its perks. The colour night vision and quality make it a solid competitor. Nest Hello, on the other hand, will provide you with valuable features such as 24/7 recording, facial recognition, motion zones and person alerts. Both devices have their drawbacks and benefits. Nest Hello has better features but at a higher price while SkyBell has fewer features but it is of great quality. Choose the device that befits your needs and will serve you the best.