One of the major ways of making your home smarter and safer is by installing a smart video doorbell. Now-a-days, doorbells comes fully equipped with a camera which helps you to have a clear view of the visitors coming to your door. Two of the leading names in the market of video doorbells are Nest and Ring. Here is a detailed comparison between Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell and Ring Video Doorbell 2. We will look at their features and specifications and finally come to a conclusion about which of them would be better for your home.
Nest Hello Vs Ring 2: Comparison Chart
|Category||Nest hello||Ring 2|
|Dimensions||1.7 x 4.6 x 1.0 in||5.1 x 2.5 x 1.1 in|
|Power||Wired connection is required with 16-24V AC Hardwire to existing doorbell kit||Battery powered (Rechargeable) To hardwire, 8-24V AC Hardwire to existing doorbell kit|
|Battery Life||NA||6 months|
|Voice Control||Amazon Alexa, Google Home Hub, Google Home Mini||Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, IFTTT No Google Hub support|
|Video Quality||1600 x 1200 HDR 30 FPS 160° diagonal Field of View with zoom feature||1920 X 1080 HD 15 FPS 160° horizontal, 100° vertical Field of View with zoom feature|
|Audio Quality||Noise and echo cancellation, Can play pre-recorded messages||Noise cancellation Built-in microphone and speakers|
|Night Vision||Present 850 nm infrared LEDs||Present Black & White|
|Two-Way Audio||Present HD ‘Talk and Listen||Present|
|App Support||Android, iOS, Web||Android, iOS, Web|
|Motion Detection And Motion Zones||Present||Present|
|Facial Recognition Feature||Present||Absent|
|Warranty Period||2 years||1 year|
|Price||No products found.||Check Price|
Nest Hello VS Ring 2: Differences
With the dimensions of 1.7 x 4.6 x 1.0 inches, Nest Hello has a more compact structure than Ring 2. Nest Hello has a black and white color scheme, but apart from that, there are many skin colors available.
Unlike Nest Hello, Ring 2 is quite bulky with the dimensions of 5.1 x 2.5 x 1.1 inches. Although it has two interchangeable plates available which give you the option to swap them whenever you want.
One of the disadvantages of Nest Hello is that its installation is recommended to be done by a professional. Although this may cost you about $100, it is quite effective. You can also select the DIY alternate but it might take you some time.
One of the major advantages of Ring 2 is that it can be installed easily within 5-10 minutes. Since it is really easy, you won’t even require any professional help.
3. Video Quality
With 1600 x 1200 HDR pixels and 30 FPS, the video quality of Nest Hello provides a quite smoother video when compared to Ring 2. In addition to this, Nest Hello also provides a 160° diagonal Field of View with a zoom feature with an aspect ratio of 4:3 which enables us to see the head to toe picture of the visitors.
Ring 2 has 1920 X 1080 HD video quality with 15 FPS which may sound good but causes it to stutter a bit more than Nest Hello in practical. With a 160° horizontal and 100° vertical Field of View combined with a zoom feature, it is quite similar to Nest Hello. Whereas the 16:9 aspect ratio makes it difficult for you to identify and see the visitor from top to bottom unlike Nest Hello.
4. Power Source
Nest Hello can be hardwired to the existing power source. It is compatible with a 16-24V AC doorbell transformer. Although one of the disadvantages of Nest Hello is that unlike Ring 2, hardwiring is the only option available in this doorbell.
Ring 2 has an advantage over Nest Hello when it comes to the options provided for power source since it can be both hardwired or battery powered. For hardwiring, you will need to have an 8-24 V AC transformer that you will have to pair with your existing doorbell kit. If you go for the battery, it will last for up to 6-12 months depending on its usage.
5. Motion Detection
Nest Hello includes personal alerts and facial detection by default which provides you greater security when it comes to sending alerts. With a Nest Aware subscription, you will also have access to motion zones. Hence, if you are willing to pay extra for Nest Aware subscription, Nest Hello is a better choice than Ring 2.
Although Ring 2 provides the feature of motion zones and person alerts for free, it does not offer facial recognition. Due to this, Nest Hello turns to be more advantageous than Ring 2.
6. Subscription Plans
Nest’s subscription plan is known as Nest Aware. There are 3 plans available depending on the length of video history that they offer. You get 5 days, 10 days, and 30 days plan in this.These plans offer intelligent alerts, clips and time-lapses, activity zones, and continuous video recording features.
Ring subscription comes with 3 types of plans that are described below:
- Free Plan which allows you access to Ring and Motion Alerts, Custom motion detection, live video on demand, and the ability to interact with visitors from anywhere for free.
- Protect Basic Plan covers a single Ring Doorbell or Security camera at about $3/month or $30/year. Additionally, it provides the ability to access videos of every activity event for up to 60 days, along with reviewing, sharing, and saving those videos.
- Protect Plus Plan that will cost you about $10/month or $100/year. This subscription covers all of the Ring devices at once. In addition to the features offered with the Protect Basic Plan, you’ll also have an extended warranty beyond the standard 1-year, and access to Ring Alarm professional monitoring.
Although Continuous Video Recording is a feature where Ring 2 falls short, you will only have to take the subscription if you require cloud storage. Unlike Nest Hello, all of the basic features are provided in Ring for free.
7. Compatible Networks
Nest Hello has a huge advantage over Ring 2 since it works with WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac and is a dual-band device with support for 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels. This advanced technology helps it to function without any glitches at all. Moreover, you won’t notice any slowing down in your network speed.
One of the major disadvantages of Ring 2 is that although it functions with 802.11 b/g/n WiFi connection, it can only communicate over the 2.4 GHz band. Hence, you might face some congestion in your network due to the inability of your doorbell to spread its data transmission over a wider frequency range.
8. Other Differences Between Nest Hello And Ring 2
Power Sources : Since you can install your Ring 2 by either of the two different power sources, it may also provide you with a disadvantage of not being able to see Live View on Demand when you are operating on battery. This problem does not arise with Nest Hello since it only operates on a hardwired power source.
Interaction With Visitor: One of the major advantages of Nest Hello over Ring 2 is that Nest Hello provides a set of pre-defined responses that will help you to transmit your message to the visitor without actually having to interact directly.
Operating Temperature: Ring 2 is advantageous over Nest Hello when it comes to the operating temperature of both these devices. While the minimum temperature Ring 2 can operate in is -5°F, Nest Hello will only provide service up to the minimum temperature of 14° Similarly, Ring 2 can operate till a high temperature of 120°F whereas Nest Hello can be used only up to the temperature of 104°F.
Compatibility With Smart Hub :Another disadvantage of Ring 2 over Nest Hello is that although both of them are compatible with a wide range of voice controls like Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, Ring 2 is not compatible with Google Home Hub.
Quite Time :Nest Hello also provides an additional feature called “Quiet time” where you can silent the chime for a given period. This feature is not available in Ring 2.
Warranty Period: Nest Hello can be advantageous over Ring 2 since it provides a warranty period of 2 years, which is twice the warranty period provided by Ring 2.
Nest Hello VS Ring 2: Similarities
1. App Support
Both of these doorbells support Android, iOS and web, due to which they are compatible with several platforms.
2. Zoom Feature
Both Nest Hello and Ring 2 provide a zoom feature that will help you see even the distant images.
3. Motion Detection And Motion Zones
Another similarity between Nest Hello and Ring 2 is that both of them have the feature to detect motions. They will send you a notification instantly and also trigger a recording that you can review later if needed.
4. Two-Way Audio Support
One of the major features of Nest Hello and Ring 2 is that both of them have a built-in microphone and a speaker that supports two-way audio. Due to this feature, you can interact with the visitors directly without actually having to open the door.
Features And Technical Specifications Of Nest Hello
No products found.
- Name Of The Product: Google Nest Hello video doorbell
- Dimensions: 1.7 x 4.6 x 1.0 inches
- Mass Of The Product: 4.6 oz.
- Colors Available: Black and white
- Power Required: Wired connection is required with 16-24V AC, Hardwire to existing doorbell kit
- Camera: ⅓-inch, a 3-megapixel color sensor with 8x digital zoom, Facial recognition feature
- Video Quality: Up to 1600 × 1200 at 30 frames/sec, All–glass lens, 160° diagonal wide-angle view, 8 High–power infrared LEDs (850nm)
- Audio Quality: High-quality Speaker and Microphone with HD Talk and Listen, Quick Responses enabled
- Voice Control: Compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Home Hub, Google Home Mini
- Weather Resistance: IPX4 rating, designed for outdoor use
- Compatible Networks: 2.4GHz or 5GHz 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, 802.15.4 at 2.4GHz, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
- Security: 128–bit AES with TLS/SSL with 2-factor verification available
- WEP, WPA, WPA2 encryption supported
- Wireless supported: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz/5GHz) 2×2 MIMO Wi-Fi;802.15.4 (2.4GHz)
- Connectivity Requirements: Wi-Fi internet connection
- Nest app
- Recommended Phone or tablet running iOS or Android with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
- Bandwidth Required: A working broadband internet connection with at least 2 Mbps upload speed per camera recommended for optimal video quality at 1600×120
- Operating Conditions:Temperature: 5° to 104°F, Humidity: 20%-90% RH
- Warranty Period: 2 years
- Eco-Friendliness: RoHS and REACH compliant
- Item in the box: Nest Hello video doorbell, Wallplate, Chime Connector, Screws, 15° wedge (optional), Release tool, 2 extension wires, Masonry drill bit, Wall anchors, Security sticker, Quick start card, Warranty
Features And Technical Specifications Of Ring 2
- 1080p HD video doorbell that lets you see, hear and speak to people from your phone, tablet, or select Echo device....
- Get notifications whenever motion is detected by adjusting your motion zones.
- With Live View, you can check in on your home any time through the Ring app.
- Name Of The Product: Ring video doorbell 2
- Dimensions: 05 x 2.50 x 1.08 inches
- Colors Available: Satin Nickel, Venetian
- Power Requirement: Battery powered (Rechargeable), Or, Hardwire to existing doorbell kit,To hardwire, 8-24V AC
- Battery Life: Almost 6 months with regular use
- Video Quality: 1920 X 1080 HD,160° horizontal, 100° vertical Field of View with zoom feature
- Motion Detection: Adjustable motion detection is present
- Audio Quality: instant mobile alerts and two-way talk, Built-in microphone and speakers, Supports noise cancellation
- Voice Control: Amazon Alexa,Google Assistant, IFTTT, No Google Hub support
- Compatible Networks: 2.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n
- App Support: Android, iOS, Web
- Installation Requirements: For wiring in, standard doorbell system with 8-24 VAC doorbell transformer. Doorbell wiring at the install location is needed
- Operating Conditions: -5° – 120°F temperature, Weather Resistant
- Internet Connectivity Requirements: Minimum upload speed required is 1Mbps, 2 Mbps for optimal performance
- Warranty Period:1 year
- Items in the box:Quick Release Battery Pack,Satin Nickel and Venetian Faceplates, Adapter Plate, Wedge and Corner Install Kits, Installation Tools and Screws, USB Charging Cable, User Manual, Security Sticker
FAQs About Nest Hello And Ring 2
There is an optional subscription available called Nest Aware. It is not mandatory but comes with several perks.
If you have a Nest Aware subscription, the audio is recorded along with the video. There is a microphone available that you can turn on or off according to your requirements.
Ring doorbell can be connected to an existing doorbell wiring but it can also operate completely by itself since it has an internal battery as well.
Yes, you can simply go to your camera’s Livestream in the Nest app, and use the Talk button to start speaking.
To remove Nest Hello, you will need an included release tool. First, you’ll have to insert the tool into the hole on the bottom of your Nest Hello and press upward until your Hello snaps off the base. Finally, grip the bottom of your camera and pull it away from the wall and off the base.
To restart your Nest Hello, disconnect it from the backplate. Insert the release tool into the hole near the top of Nest Hello. Hold it for about 10 seconds, until the light on Hello turns off. Nest Hello will restart and connect to the previously connected Wi-Fi.
The Ring 2 battery may last for about 6-12 months according to your usage. If there are a greater number of motions that are sensed by your doorbell, it may get depleted faster than expected.
You can pay for a monthly subscription fees if needed. The basic fee costs about $3 per month.
Yes, if you provide a hardwired connection or a transformer, it will constantly charge the battery and you will not need to ever replace or recharge the batteries in your Ring 2.
Ring doesn’t require dedicated electrical wiring. Instead, it can work even with a rechargeable battery power
With home security at its rise, a smart home has become a necessity. Smart video doorbells are one such way of avoiding any dangers and threats to our houses right at the door. In this article, we compared two of the most famous smart video doorbells, Nest Hello and Ring 2 and came up with the conclusion that although Ring 2 has a great value for money, Nest Hello would be our ultimate choice. It not only has great features that are unique to this device, but its connectivity speed and compatibility are worth the buy.