The Insteon hub helps you to integrate all your home automation to a common system with which you can operate all your smart devices easily. Recently, Insteon released its more upgraded version, Insteon Hub Pro with more features and functionality. But unlike other upgraded devices, the Pro version of Insteon lacks compatibility with devices .If we compare it with the older version then we see that Pro version isn’t that superior.
You will get to know more about both the systems in the below paragraphs. We have drawn a comparison chart to give you an overview of both these hubs and written about their features in more detail so that you can easily make your decision on which one to choose.
Insteon Hub Vs. Pro: Comparison Chart
|Control of Insteon devices, set schedules, set scenes||Yes||Yes|
|Apple Homekit devices||No||Yes|
|Supports Amazon Echo, Google Assitant, Amazon Echo||Yes||No|
|Supports Apple HomeKit||No||Yes|
|Supports Logitech, Nest, Sonos||Yes||No|
|Supports Cortana, first alerts, e-mail alerts, push notifications||Yes||Yes|
|Android, windows 8||Yes||No|
|Wi-Fi camera support||Yes||No|
|Price||Check price||Check Price|
Differences Between Insteon Hub Vs. Pro
1. Alert feature
Insteon offers different sensors like motion sensor, smoke detector, water-leak sensor, and door and window sensor. The Insteon Hub standard product sends you an alert whenever the sensors detect something via e-mail or push notification on your smartphone. It helps you stay relaxed that whenever anything uneven happens at your home, you will be getting a notification on your phone. But you do not get this feature in the Insteon Smart hub pro as it does not support any kind of sensors to send you alert. This is one of the major drawbacks of the pro version.
One of the major differences between both the Insteon hub and pro is that of compatibility with other smart home products. The standard Insteon hub can control a lot of Insteon smart devices like the dimmers, smart bulbs, thermostats, security cameras, a video doorbell, and other smart appliances. It supports different brands like Nest, Cortana, Apple Watch, Amazon Echo, Sonos, First Alert, Logitech, and MiLocks. There is only one product that it does not support and that is Apple HomeKit which is the only product that pro supports. Apple devices do not let any other brand work along with it and because the Pro version was built to support the Apple HomeKit devices, it lacks in this facility from the standard version. Therefore, pro is not compatible with Nest, Cortana, Apple Watch, Amazon Echo, Sonos, First Alert, Logitech, and MiLocks.
3. App control
Both standard Insteon hub and pro have separate apps. The Insteon hub has its Insteon app through which you can control your Insteon devices easily. It is available on Android, Windows and iOS devices.
Insteon released a more upgraded version of the app for pro. It is only available on iOS. You can easily download it in your Apple devices but in spite of being called an ‘upgraded app’ by Insteon, it has got complaints from people for not being universally compatible. The app is said to be very buggy and slow and therefore, it not very beneficial for the masses.
4. Guest users
One advantage that the Insteon hub pro offers is that you can create guest profiles and give access to your Insteon devices to your relatives, friends or neighbors whenever you want. But to get access, they need to have an apple device such as iPhone or iPad and have an Apple Id. These guest users can control the functions of your device but they cannot change the configuration settings of your device because that access is only in your hands. This feature is not available in the standard Insteon hub version. It is one place where it lacks as compared to Pro.
The dimensions of the Insteon hub device is just 3.75”L* 3.75”W* 1.5”H. It looks like a small white-colored box that you can easily place anywhere you feel like. You can hide it behind your router. The Smart hub pro is a quite larger box with the dimensions 7″ L *4″ W*1.5″H.
Similarities Between Insteon Hub Vs. Pro
1. Insteon Devises Control
Both products have control over the Insteon devices. You can easily control your Insteon devices through the standard app or the Insteon+ app.
2. Set Schedules
Both products give you the facility to set timers and schedules on your Insteon devices. When you set the timers, your devices will switch on and off whenever you want them. It saves your energy and time.
3. Set Scenes
You can easily set scenes from both of these hubs. Both the products have their app through which you can change the settings of your smart devices whenever you like.
4. iOS Support
Both standard Insteon hub and pro support the iOS devices. Although the pro version does not support other types of devices because it is specially built to control iOS, the standard version supports all the other Android and Windows devices apart from iOS.
Some Additional Features Of Insteon Hub
- The Insteon Hub gives you control over a huge family of connected devices, all from your smartphone and tablet
- Create customized scenes for instant recalling of your favorite lighting settings, & create schedules for individual...
- Get instant alerts from sensors for things like motion, water leaks and doors opening
- Remote control access through your smartphones or tablets from anywhere in the world. You can easily control your Insteon devices from this remote control feature.
- Has the feature of setting schedules and scenes
- Sends you an instant alert via e-mails or push notifications
- Cannot connect to your thermostat and you can easily control the temperature of your home from Insteon hub
- Compatible with Google Assistant, Amazon Echo, Logitech, and other products
- Requires no set-up or configuration. You can easily use if once you plug it in.
- Has a good industry-standard secure encrypted communication system for your safety.
- The product charges no monthly fee to view, control or monitors your home.
Some Additional Features of Insteon Hub Pro
- Control lights and appliances from your iPhone or iPod touch
- Use siri to control your home with just your voice
- Compatible with home kit-enabled products as well as the most popular Insteon products such as wall switches, outlets,...
- Can manage large rooms, far zones or even multiple homes
- Voice command feature via Apple Siri
- It can control the HomeKit devices that include thermostats, lighting, and other appliances.
- Requires Insteon+ app to control HomeKit enabled devices with your Insteon devices.
- Has the feature for setting schedules and scenes
- Has got the dashboard view facility for quick access.
- Has the facility to invite guest users and giving your close ones access to your home automation devices.
What You Get With the Insteon Hub/ Pro Box
Both Insteon Hub and pro offer some additional things along with the main model. Things that both Insteon Hub and Pro boxes contain are-
- 1 Insteon Hub/Pro main model
- 1 Power cable
- 1 Ethernet cable
- 1 Quick start guide
Necessary Requirements –
- Internet connection
- Available Ethernet port on your router
Both the devices support 10/100 wired Ethernet networks so you have to take care of that while buying your Ethernet network cable.
HomeKit currently allows a total of 100 devices to be connected to your hub and app.
The scene is a system with which you can set all your connected devices as per your requirements beforehand. You already adjust all the functions of your smart devices. It lets you control multiple devices at one time with a single button.
No the old version of Insteon Hub would not be compatible with HomeKit. Only Smart hub pro can work with HomeKit.
Both the products offer 2 years warranty that is a pretty well warranty period.
We hope that know you know which one to buy. As per our reserach Insteon Hub is anytime better than the pro. It’s quiet disappointing to see the upgraded version lacking in features but we have to accept the fact that it is far behind the older version. Nevertheless, jot down your needs and do your own reserach to find out the one thats best for your smart home.