The Insteon hub helps you integrate all your home automation to a common system with which you can easily operate all your smart devices. Recently, Insteon Hub released its more upgraded version, Insteon Hub Pro, with more features and functionality.
But unlike other upgraded devices, the Pro version of Insteon lacks compatibility with devices. If we compare it with the older version, we see that the Pro version isn’t that superior.
You will get to know more about both the systems in the below paragraphs. We have drawn a comparison chart to give you an overview of both these hubs and written about their features in more detail so that you can easily make your decision on which one to choose.
Every upgraded product is considered better than its standard version. But in this case, we would say that Insteon hub pro is not better than the standard Insteon Hub. One of the main factors is compatibility. The Insteon Hub Pro version does not support a lot of smart home products. If you take it, you will feel like you have wasted your money when you could take the standard version without any compatibility issues. So if you want to buy a smart hub, we would suggest the standard version because if we compare it with its upgraded version, it is better and more compatible with your smart home.
Insteon Hub Vs. Pro: Comparison Chart
Insteon Hub Vs. Pro Comparison
|Control of Insteon devices, set schedules, set scenes||Yes||Yes|
|Apple Homekit devices||No||Yes|
|Supports Amazon Echo, Google Assitant, Amazon Echo||Yes||No|
|Supports Apple HomeKit||No||Yes|
|Supports Logitech, Nest, Sonos||Yes||No|
|Supports Cortana, first alerts, e-mail alerts, push notifications||Yes||Yes|
|Android, windows 8||Yes||No|
|Wi-Fi camera support||Yes||No|
|Price||Check price||Check Price|
1. Alert featureInsteon Hub offers different sensors like motion sensors, smoke detectors, water leak sensors, and door and window sensors. The Insteon Hub standard product sends you an alert whenever the sensors detect something via e-mail or push notification on your smartphone. It helps you stay relaxed that whenever anything uneven happens at your home, you will be getting a notification on your phone. But you do not get this feature in the Insteon Smart hub pro as it does not support any sensors to send you alerts. This is one of the major drawbacks of the pro version.
One of the major differences between the Insteon hub and pro is compatibility with other smart home products. The standard Insteon hub can control many Insteon smart devices like dimmers, smart bulbs, thermostats, security cameras, a video doorbell, and other smart appliances. It supports different brands like Nest, Cortana, Apple Watch, Amazon Echo, Sonos, First Alert, Logitech, and MiLocks. There is only one product that it does not support: Apple HomeKit, which is the only product that pro supports. Apple devices do not let any other brand work along with it, and because the Insteon Hub Pro version was built to support the Apple HomeKit devices, it lacks in this facility from the standard version. Therefore, pro is not compatible with Nest, Cortana, Apple Watch, Amazon Echo, Sonos, First Alert, Logitech, and MiLocks.
3. App control
Both standard Insteon hub and pro have separate apps. The Insteon hub has its Insteon app through which you can control your Insteon devices easily. It is available on Android, Windows, and iOS devices.Insteon Hub released a more upgraded version of the app for Insteon Hub Pro. It is only available on iOS. You can easily download it on your Apple devices. Still, despite being called an ‘upgraded app’ by Insteon, it has complaints from people for not being universally compatible. The app is very buggy and slow, and therefore, it is not very beneficial for the masses.
4. Guest users
One advantage that the Insteon Hub Pro offers is that you can create guest profiles and access your Insteon devices to your relatives, friends, or neighbors whenever you want. But to get access, they need to have an apple device such as iPhone or iPad and have an Apple Id. These guest users can control your device’s functions, but they cannot change the configuration settings of your device because that access is only in your hands. This feature is not available in the standard Insteon hub version. It is one place where it lacks as compared to Insteon Hub Pro.
The Insteon hub device’s dimensions are just 3.75” L* 3.75” W* 1.5”H. It looks like a small white-colored box that you can easily place anywhere you feel like. You can hide it behind your router. The Smart hub pro is a larger box with dimensions 7″ L *4″ W*1.5″H.
1. Insteon Devises Control
Both products have control over the Insteon devices. You can easily control your Insteon devices through the standard app or the Insteon+ app.
2. Set Schedules
Both products give you the facility to set timers and schedules on your Insteon devices. When you set the timers, your devices will switch on and off whenever you want them. It saves your energy and time.
3. Set Scenes
You can easily set scenes from both of these hubs. Both the products have their app to charge your smart devices’ settings whenever you like.
4. iOS Support
Both standard Insteon Hub and Insteon Hub Pro support the iOS devices. Although the pro version does not support other types of devices because it is specially built to control iOS, the standard version supports all Android and Windows devices apart from iOS.
Some Additional Features Of Insteon Hub
- Remote control access through your smartphones or tablets from anywhere in the world. You can easily control your Insteon devices from this remote control feature.
- Has the feature of setting schedules and scenes
- Sends you an instant alert via e-mails or push notifications
- Cannot connect to your thermostat, and you can easily control the temperature of your home from the Insteon hub
- Compatible with Google Assistant, Amazon Echo, Logitech, and other products
- Requires no set-up or configuration. You can easily use it once you plug it in.
- Has a good industry-standard secure encrypted communication system for your safety.
- The product charges no monthly fee to view, control, or monitors your home.
Some Additional Features of Insteon Hub Pro
- Can manage large rooms, far zones, or even multiple homes
- Voice command feature via Apple Siri
- It can control the HomeKit devices that include thermostats, lighting, and other appliances.
- Requires Insteon+ app to control HomeKit enabled devices with your Insteon devices.
- Has the feature for setting schedules and scenes
- Has got the dashboard view facility for quick access.
- Has the facility to invite guest users and giving your close ones access to your home automation devices.
What You Get With Box
Both Insteon Hub and pro offer some additional things along with the main model. Things that both Insteon Hub and Pro boxes contain are-
- 1 Insteon Hub/Pro main model
- 1 Power cable
- 1 Ethernet cable
- 1 Quick start guide
Necessary Requirements –
- Internet connection
- Available Ethernet port on your router
Both the devices support 10/100 wired Ethernet networks, so you have to take care of that while buying your Ethernet network cable.
1. How many devices can be added to Insteon+?
HomeKit currently allows a total of 100 devices to be connected to your hub and app.
2. What is Scene?
The scene is a system with which you can set all your connected devices as per your requirements beforehand. You already adjust all the functions of your smart devices. It lets you control multiple devices at one time with a single button.
3. Will old versions of Insteon Hub work with HomeKit?
No the old version of Insteon Hub would not be compatible with HomeKit. Only Smart hub pro can work with HomeKit.
4. What is the warranty period offered by both the products?
Both the products offer 2 years warranty that is a pretty well warranty period.
We hope that know you know which one to buy. As per our research Insteon Hub is anytime better than the Insteon Hub Pro. It’s quite disappointing to see the upgraded version lacking in features but we have to accept the fact that it is far behind the older version. Nevertheless, jot down your needs and do your own research to find out the one that best for your smart home.