If you are installing sliding door at home then you should take these measures to protect your sliding door from burglars/intruders entry. Sliding Doors add a great view to our homes. As aesthetic as they are, they also allow entrance to a lot of light in our house, thus keeping them well- lit. A majority of the home-owners have installed sliding glass doors, mostly as a back-door to the backyards and patios. But it is also necessary to understand that the sliding glass doors could end up making our homes very vulnerable to burglars.
Hence, keeping these in mind we should take all precautions that are necessary to keep our sliding doors safe and fully functional. Listed below are some of the steps we can take to ensure this:
How To Protect Your Sliding Door
A. Steps To Protect The Door Latch
1. Installing Patio Door Gates
Security gates or Patio door gates are a safer alternative to a glass sliding door. They are a great way of ensuring maximum ventilation without compromising the safety of your house.
2. Installation Of Barricades
- DOOR STOPPER SECURITY BAR & SLIDING DOOR SECURITY BAR: Use this device for two different purposes with easy...
- EXTRA PROTECTION FOR YOUR DOOR: Add an extra layer of protection for your home with a door jammer. Angled rubber bottom...
- ADJUSTABLE AND DURABLE: Door jammer can be adjusted between 22. 25"-43. 7" and constructed of high grade iron to...
Even if the door latch is barely functional, a proper barricade like Securityman 2-in-1 Adjustable Door Knob Jammer & Sliding Patio Door Security Bar will ensure that it becomes impossible to open the sliding door from outside. Lay the barricade down on the track where the door slides and it acts as a physical barrier. For a cheaper alternative, you can also go for a home-made bar made out of wood or metal. But ensure that it is of an appropriate size so that there is no wiggle room left for the burglar.
3. Installation Of Additional Locks
- Works as both a security device and childproofing lock.
- Allows for ventilation without sacrificing security.
- Compatible with vinyl, aluminum or wood sliding doors.
Additional locks are a great way of ensuring that there is no way of making a neat entrance since it reinforces security to the next step. Install a good sliding door lock like Patio Guardian PDG01-W Patio Door Guardian Lock that acts both as a security device as well as a child-proofing lock system.
4. Use Of An Armor Latch
- Protect your patio doors with Armor latch
- The dual locking system helps prevent sliding glass doors from being lifted out of their track
- Attractive and effective sliding door security
An armor-latch works as a dead-bolt and is multi-functional in the way that it protects the door from burglars who try to lift it off the tracks or even break the lock open. Install a proper armor latch like Armor Concepts AML-SDD-10000 Series Armor Latch Sliding Glass Door Deadbolt that acts as an effective addition to door security.
B. Steps To Ensure Minimum To No Interior Visibility
1. Application Of Privacy Or One-Way Film On The Door Glass
No products found.
There are one-way films available like No products found. Static Non-Adhesive Decorative Heat Control Anti UV Window Tint for Home and Office that allow you to see the outdoor view, but someone who is present on the other side of the door will only be able to see a mirrored finish. It is a great way of maintaining your home’s privacy. But it is important to remember that it does not work the same way during night-time.
2. Usage Of Track Shades And Curtains
- Detachable pull wand ideal for sliding glass doors and large windows
- Blackout technology blocks out most unwanted light while enhancing privacy
- Energy efficient design reduces energy lost through your windows by up to 40%
Basic coverings for your sliding glass doors like Track Shade And Curtain with Pull Wand are an effective way to ensure that there is no visibility of your home’s interior, no matter which time of the day it is.
C. Steps To Make The Door Glass More Secure
1. Apply A Shatter-Proof Film
- MINIMIZE PROPERTY DAMAGE by absorbing impacts from break-in attempts and holds shattered glass together
- PASSES ANSI Z97.1 CLASS B, CPSC CATEGORY 1 testing requirements.
- INCREASE SECURITY or add safety to tempered or non-tempered glass.
If the intruders and burglars are very desperate for getting entry inside your homes, they might even consider breaking your sliding glass door. The addition of a good shatterproof film like BDF S8MC Window Film Security and Safety Clear will ensure that there is a minimum of property damage even when there are break-in attempts inside your house.
2. Invest In An Impact-Resistant Or Laminated Glass
Formation of a laminated glass requires the fusion of a special PVB sheet between small glass pieces. These kinds of glasses can withstand even hurricane, and hence are difficult to break unless the film of the PVB sheet is cut wide open. It works in a way that even if the glass gets broken, it won’t fall out of the door, hence discouraging the burglar to get through.
D. Steps To Keep An Eye On The Movements Near The Sliding Door
1. Install Alarm Sensors
- Includes two window/door alarms, each with three adjustable settings off/chime/alarm
- Loud 120-decible alarm sounds when door or window opens, helps deter intruder and alert residence
- Easy and convenient to install, requires no wiring, mounting hardware and instructions included, designed for indoor use...
Installation of well-functional alarm sensors like GE Personal Security Window/Door Alarm is a good way of keeping a track whenever the sliding glass is opened without your knowledge. Unless you turn the alarm system off, the system sends a signal to the alarm panel when the glass opens, thus deterring any intruder and alerting the residence of a probable break-in.
2. Install Glass-Break Detector
- DETECTS WINDOW VIBRATION – Instantly alerts you of a potential break in with loud 100 dB alarm
- UNIQUE ULTRA-SLIM DESIGN – Perfect for your home, office, garage, dorm room, or even RV
- VIBRATION TRIGGER TECHNOLOGY – Built-in vibration sensor perfectly tuned – will not go off in rain, wind, etc. NO...
A glass break or a shatter detector like Doberman Security SE-0106-4PK Ultra-Slim Window Alarm is a worthy investment if you want to increase the safety of your sliding glass doors. It goes off when it senses any vibrations, thus making sure no potential break-ins go unnoticed.
F. Other Preventive Steps To Consider
1. Install A Security Pin Lock
- Brand name: ProTool
- Country of Origin: China
- Item Dimensions: 0.63"L x 2.13"W x 5.24"H
A good security pin lock like Pro 55201 Window Guard Pin Lock Set is one of the cheapest methods to secure your sliding door against any attempted break-in. It prevents the burglars from removing the door from their track and the locking system prevents the key from falling out.
2. Install Double Bolt Locking Systems
- ✔️VIRTUALLY BURGLAR PROOF - Are you worried that someone might break into your house at the middle of the night or...
- ✔️NO NEED TO WASTE HOURS OF SETTING UP - The CAL Double Bolt Lock has a sleek, aesthetic, low profile design. As a...
- ✔️DISCOVER NEW WAYS TO INCREASE CHILDREN SECURITY - With young children in the home, you know all too well how hard...
A proper double bolt lock system like Double Bolt Locking Systems for Glass Sliding Doors- High-Security Lock by Cal Security Enterprises ensures that your house is virtually burglar-proof. In double bolt locks, one piece of the lock is attached to the door frame whereas the other piece is attached to the sliding glass door.
G. Take Professional Help
None of the above methods is a cent percent foolproof. Especially if you have been considering doing all these projects yourself, some faults may take place at some step. Hence, it is very important to hire a professional instead, because home security is not something that you should for granted.
Sliding glass doors can be a beautiful addition to your homes, but these doors can lead to fatalities as well. The above additions and precautions are very important, or else your home might become vulnerable to burglars and intruders. Hence, the suggested thing to do here would be to implement the above-mentioned points and ensure your home safety while making it aesthetic.
Drawbacks Of Sliding Doors
1. They Have Simple Latches
It is a known fact that it only takes less than a minute for an experienced burglar to break into a house. But with sliding glass doors, it becomes even easier because of the simple latches that they have. These latches are very easy to operate and provide no amount of safety against a break-in.
2. The Items Inside Are Visible
Breaking into your house easily becomes more profitable to the burglars once they have an idea about all the locations where you keep your prized possessions. Sliding glass doors give an easy view of our interiors to someone who might be outside our home, making us ten times more vulnerable to theft.
3. Made Of Easy-To-Break Tempered Glass
All of us are well aware that tempered glass doesn’t hurt us even if they get broken. Due to this, breaking or dislocating the sliding doors in your house becomes even more favorable to the burglars, hence making it a better point of their entrance than any other alternatives.
4. They Are Often Out Of Common View
As we have already mentioned, the sliding glass doors are generally used as a backdoor to our backyards. This removes any possibility for the burglar of getting noticed by the neighbors, avoiding any chance to get caught.