To avoid mishappening from fire, you should install smoke alarms at your home. But the question is, how many should be installed? Well, there is no specific number of alarms that you should install. But yes, you can install approximately 5-6 smoke alarms. Where to install it? How many should install? These are the common questions. Today we will clear all your doubts by the end of this article.
How Many Do I Need In My House?
According to the national fire protection association, you should install smoke alarms at every level of your house. You should install each alarm in the bedroom, basement, and sleeping areas. You have to take care while installing alarms in the kitchen. You have to install that 10 feet apart from your cooking place. Do not install alarms right above your cooking place; it will make unwanted alert sounds. To get more clarity, read the below points.
1. In House Per Square Feet:
The alarm can cover multiple ranges of rooms and is located at a distance of 21 feet from the main door in the house. If you have a house equal to or bigger than 1000 square feet, it is better to install at every 500 feet to ensure security and quick response of sensors in an emergency.
2. In A 3 Bedroom House:
If you have a 3 bedroom house, you must fix 5-6 smoke alarms. One for the basement, one alarm for each bedroom, and two for sleeping areas. If the bedroom is attached at the last of the hallway, then an alarm is used to the nearness of the bedrooms. There is no such proportion to fix the no. of alarms. You need to take care of their area, where you are fixing your alarm.
3. In A 4 Bedroom House
The above condition is also applicable for this. But it will need one more alarm for the fourth bedroom.
Distance From A Bedroom Door
- You can place that at the center of the room, either it’s a single doorway or a double doorway.
- I just need to take care of these two below points.
- Don’t the alarm more than five feet away from the door.
- And not closer than twelve inches to the door
For many years, NFPA 72, the National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code, has mandated the installation of smoke alarms in every sleeping room, outside each sleeping space, and on every level of the house.
What Should I Look While Buying A Smoke Detector?
You are investing a good amount in smoke detectors, and you expect that your smoke detector could be brilliant. So that you can ensure your safety. take care of the below points while choosing your detector.
1. Multifunctional: Your detector should be multifunctional. It should detect fire particles quickly and carbon monoxide also. Its battery life should be good(at least ten years)
2. Smart: We all know ionization smoke alarms and photoelectric alarms are good, but the intelligent detector is bliss. It can be connected directly to your phone, and you can get direct alerts and messages on your phone.
3. Backup power: When your electricity supply goes off, you still need to know if there is any smoke or fire-related emergency in your home. Hard-Wired detectors require power backup. At the same time, battery-powered detectors don’t need any power backup. They chirp when there is a need for battery replacement.
Installation And Maintenance
Most people are still confused about how to keep their detectors safe. Well, you can have a look at the below points.
a. Check batteries: Check your batteries from time to time to avoid mishappening. Many mishappening can happen due to the failure of the batteries, and people get careless on replacing them. Smoke detector on every level: Put your smoke detectors on every level of your house. Try to fix them everywhere they need to get alert.
b. Clean detectors: Clean your detector from time to time with dry clothing; dirty detectors may take time to give alert signals. So it is essential to keep them clean always.
c. Use interconnected alarms: Install interconnected alarms your each family member can hear the alert sound. It may be tricky to test, connect, and install, but it is worth it.
1. Do You Need Smoke Detectors In Every Room?
Yes, you need smoke alarms in every room. You should fix that every level of your house according to the national fire protection association. Putting them in every room will help you to get rid of fire injuries and death.
2. Should You Put A Smoke Alarm In The Kitchen?
Yes, you can put smoke detectors in the kitchen, but just need to take care of its position. Don’t place your smoke detectors just on top of your cooking place. Smoke will produce while cooking and if you place that just on top of it, it will make unnecessary sounds. You should place that at least 10 feet distance from your cooking area.
3. Can you place a smoke detector above the door?
No, avoid installing defectors above the door or windows. The smoke will go away before the smoke detector alerts you. Keep your smoke detector always in the center of rooms, so that you can get time to time alert signals.
4. What Type Of Smoke Detector Is Best For Bedrooms?
If you are finding the best alarm for your bedrooms, then we will suggest ionization smoke alarms. These give fast results when they detect fire so that you can move out of your bedroom.
If we talk about electric smoke detectors then it’s good for your hallway and living room. But ionization smoke alarms are best for bedrooms.
5. Which Is Better First Alert Or Kidde?
No doubt Kidde and first alert is the best smoke and CO detectors. Both are having amazing power and features. But as compared to Kidde first alert is having some good features.
Some of them are as follows:
a. Gives verbal voice alerts.
b. Slim home décor design.
c. You can find wireless models also in the first alert.
This article is a brief explanation of the smoke detectors. The better you understand your security backup, the better you can secure yourself. Just take care of where to install your smoke detectors and where not. And also, just feed the above points in your mind to choose the best smoke detectors for you. Your safety is your responsibility.