The holidays are a great time to enjoy with our friends and relatives. It is a time when we celebrate life and are grateful for our health and wealth. But it is also very important to take extra efforts and measures to stay safe and healthy during the holidays. Mentioned below are some important holiday safety tips which would keep you safe and sound during holidays.
A. Winter Holiday Safety Tips
Winter comes as no surprise to us. It is the time of the year that all of us would love to spend in the warmth of our quilts. But if we aren’t ready for its arrival and take all the necessary precautions to stay safe and healthy, this same holiday can turn hazardous. Listed below are some of the key points that we should follow for the same.
Steps To Be Taken At Home
- Get your home winterized. Prepare for the worst weather conditions like snow storms and insulate your home.
- Install weather stripping adhesive foams and storm windows for ensuring complete insulation.
- Install a good smoke detector like First Alert Smoke Detector, Photoelectric and Ionized Alarm that is hardwired with battery backup and has a dual sensing smoke alarm.
- Hardwired alarm includes battery backup for power outages
- Photoelectric and ionization sensors provide comprehensive fire detection
- A single button makes alarm easy to test monthly or silence during a false alarm. Temperature Range:40°F (4°C) to...
- Prevent any Carbon Monoxide emergencies by installing a good CO detector like Kidde Nighthawk Plug-in AC/DC Carbon Monoxide Alarm Detector. Understand the symptoms of CO poisoning like dizziness, chest pain, headache, nausea, weakness and confusion.
- Peak level button – Displays the peak CO level recorded by the alarm since it was last reset or unplugged
- Test button functions – Tests the unit for proper operation and resets the carbon monoxide alarm
- LED operation – Blinking dot in lower right corner of display denotes normal operation
- Inspect and clean all the gutters, chimneys and fireplaces.
- Get your heating system professionally serviced and installed.
Steps To Get Your Car Prepared For The Winter
- Keep your gas tank completely filled up to avoid any ice formations in the tank and fuel lines.
- Use a good windshield washer like Prestone Original Deluxe 3-in-1 Windshield Washer/De-Bug/De-Icer/Water Repellent Bottle Fluid that melts ice in a fast and effective way.
- Windshield Washer/De-Bug/De-Icer/Water Repellent
- Pre-Mixed Ready To Use
- All Season - Freezing Point (F): -28 Degrees F
- Always keep a winter emergency kit in your car in case you get stranded. This kit should include a cell phone, portable chargers and spare batteries, proper quantities of food and water, a compass and a map, a flashlight, some plastic bags for sanitation, a battery-powered radio and a good number of blankets.
Steps To Stay Prepared During Emergencies
- During weather-related emergencies and power outages, stock your food and store water in clean water containers.
- While planning a journey, keep a lookout for the weather forecasts.
- Keep your cell phone completely charged and keep flashlights in an easily accessible place.
- Prepare an emergency kit that includes battery operated devices like a flashlight, a Weather Radio, and lamps. Objects like spare batteries, a first-aid kit, and sand for icy walkways should also be included.
Steps To Be Taken Outdoors
- Wear proper warm clothes before heading outdoors. Keep yourself covered with jackets, mittens, scarves and waterproof boots.
- Sprinkle sand when walking on slippery icy patches.
- Always carry an emergency kit and a fully-charged cell phone when you’re heading outdoors.
Steps To Be Taken While Traveling
- Avoid traveling if the weather service has advisories issued out. Also, follow the weather forecasts before making any travel plans.
- Keep your relatives or friends updated about your travel routes and your expected arrival time.
- Follow the guidelines of getting your car prepared for the winter before heading out for your plans.
B. Halloween Safety Tips
Halloween is a fun time for everyone, especially for kids. But it is also one of the few holidays when the number of traffic and non-traffic incidents increases dangerously. Listed below are some steps and measures we can take to keep our children safe.
Steps To Maintain Costume Safety
- Make sure the costumes, wigs and the Halloween accessories are all fire-resistant.
- The Halloween makeup should be non-toxic.
- Avoid larger masks that can obstruct vision.
- Remove their makeup before going to bed to avoid any skin and eye irritation.
Steps To Follow When Kids Are On The Trick-or-Treat Prowl
- Young children should be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- For middle-aged kids, agree on a specific entry time that should not be exceeded.
- For the older children going alone, keep yourself well informed about the route.
- Instruct children to strictly stick around their friends.
- When crossing the roads, children should be instructed to be completely attentive. Adults and teenagers should also not look at their electronic devices when crossing a street.
Steps To Be Taken by Motorists
- Drive in a safe speed limit.
- In the roadways and curbs, watch out for running children.
- Enter and exit the alleys and driveways more carefully than usual.
C. Christmas Safety Tips
Christmas is a time of spreading gifts and joys. Both children and adults are equally involved in making the ambiance of the home fun and frolic. But even amongst this, some accidents do happen. Such mishaps can be easily avoided by following simple steps and measures that are listed below:
Steps To Be Taken For Lights Safety
- While buying the Christmas decoration lights, look for their safety marks. Avoid buying second-hand lights unless you have them professionally checked.
- If any wires or bulbs are damaged, do not insist on using them. Also, don’t insert or remove the plugs when the switch is on.
- Follow the manual before using the lights. Use of a Residual Current Device can give you extra protection against shock.
- Don’t allow kids to play with lights. They should be kept at a place that is not easily accessible to them.
- Don’t run the cables under carpets. Also, don’t nail them at window sills and walls.
- Switch off the lights before leaving the room. Remember to turn off all the decoration bulbs before going to sleep.
Steps To Follow While Buying And Opening Gifts
- Refer to the appropriate age group section before buying gifts for the children. Make sure they are safe enough for the kids and that they comply with all safety standards.
- Keep items that can pose any kind of danger to the kids away from them. Small objects that they can choke on or sharp objects that can cut or pierce them should all be kept at a safe distance from them.
- Don’t let kids open their presents themselves. And while an adult opens these presents, make sure he/she uses a pair of scissors while doing so instead of other sharp objects like knives or screwdrivers.
- Avoid giving kids any kind of presents that can cause a fire hazard like firecrackers.
Steps To Be Taken While Cooking
- Take sufficient time to cook food, and while doing so, don’t leave your food unattended.
- Avoid any kind of spillages like hot oil and boiling water.
- Use the tools gently and carefully. Don’t start your preparation at the last minute.
D. Hanukkah Safety Tips
Hanukkah is the festival of lights and is one of the most important holidays of Jewish culture. But dozens of house fires have been listed during this time of the year. Hence, listed below are some safety measures and tips that can be followed to avoid this:
Steps To Stay Safe During Candle Lighting
- Use a lighter with a long tip to light the candle from a safe distance.
- Hanukkah lamp should be placed on a sturdy and non-flammable surface, like marble and glass.
- Hanukkah candles should be placed inside a menorah.
- Keep all flammable materials away from the candles.
- Walking around the house with Hanukkah candles is not advisable. Instead, keep it at a safe location that is away from the reach of the children.
- Before leaving the house or going to sleep, put out all the candles safely. Never leave your house with a lit menorah.
Steps To Stay Safe While Preparing Fried Food
- Never leave the kitchen unattended while frying food.
- Keep moisture away from the cooking area.
- Do not overcrowd the oil.
- Soak up the excess oil by keeping the fried food in a paper towel.
E. Thanksgiving Safety Tips
Thanksgiving Day is one of the most awaited holidays in The U.S.; it is a time when our friends and families get together and we are thankful for everything we have, including our health and wealth. But according to the U.S. Fire Administration almost over 4000 fires happen each Thanksgiving Day. So let us look at the safety precautions we should take during Thanksgiving to avoid such hazards.
Steps To Be Taken To Avoid Fire Hazards
- Usually most of the fire hazards originate in the kitchen. So, it is very important to never leave your kitchen unattended while cooking.
- If you’re deep frying your food, keep the fryer outside, away from moisture.
- Avoid dangling loose cloth pieces around stoves and kitchen fires.
- Keep a good fire extinguisher like Amerex B402, 5lb ABC Dry Chemical Class A B C Fire Extinguisher handy in the kitchen. Make sure the adults in your house have proper knowledge regarding its usage.
- ABC Dry Chemical, Class A:B:C Extinguisher
- 14 sec. discharge time
- All metal valve construction, Aluminum Valve
- Unplug appliances that are small and unnecessary. It will eliminate all the potential dangers while saving energy.
- After the dinner party, make sure to check for any fire sources that aren’t put out yet. Turn off the unnecessary appliances and space heaters.
Steps To Be Taken For Turkey Safety
- Buy your turkey at least 1-2 days before you cook it and store it in the refrigerator, instead of buying fresh stuffed turkeys.
- While defrosting your turkey, submerge it in cold water that should be changed every half hour.
- Avoid slow and partial cooking. Instead, opt to cook the stuffing separately.
- If you have planned to deep fry your turkey, make sure to do it outdoors and in absence of any moisture.
- Keep your hands clean when handling food. Handling both raw and cooked food together can lead to cross-contamination.
Steps To Be Taken To Avoid Food Poisoning
- Refrigerate the leftover food. It should be refrigerated within 2 hours after the food has been served.
- Use shallow containers to store food.
- The refrigerated food should be eaten within three days, after which the food becomes stale.
Steps To Be Taken While Traveling
- Plan your trip with complete knowledge about your destination point. Carry a map for reference and download the latest GPS data available.
- Don’t post your holiday plans online. It only ends up risking your house getting broken into.
- Lock the doors and windows before leaving your house. Remove any ladders and secure all entry passages.
- Install outdoor lights like Aootek New Upgraded Solar Lights that are motion-sensitive so that any movements in your absence get noted by your neighbors.
- 1.Three Optional Modes 1.security mode(Motion sensor turns the light on and off automatically) 2.Permanent On all...
- 2.Sensitive PIR Motion Inductor: With upgraded Motion Sensor Detector and Greater PIR sensor can detects people up to 26...
- 3.Ultra Bright Lights: High-efficient LED lights with wide-angle illumination can improve the lighting utilization....
- Install a security alarm system like Fortress Security Store (TM) S02 that goes off during any forceful break-in.
- Do-It-Yourself Security with 24/7 Optional Monitoring, this system is complete with wireless sensors and sirens with...
- Wi-Fi Security system Fully Controlled by Free iOS/Android App, Voice Control by Amazon Alexa
- Wi-Fi camera compatibility which can be viewed in real time through the Total Security application including 2-way chat,...
E. Autumn Holiday Safety Tips
Autumn season, or as we call it, the fall season creates a number of health issues for all of us. It is the season of Halloween which implies that we tend to ignore preventive measures that are important to stay healthy and safe. Given below are some of the tips on how to stay safe during these holidays.
1. Get Flu Vaccination Shots
Getting flu during falls is one of the most common problems that both children and adults have to face. Getting flu vaccinations will ensure your immunity and prevent common communicable diseases.
2. Drive Safely
Autumn is the onset of shorter days and longer nights. Since the daylight saving time ends every year on the first Sunday in November, it means that it gets dark earlier than usual. Drive safely and use the headlights of your vehicle to navigate the road without causing danger.
3. Keep Your Smoke Alarm Prepared
Dry leaves and barks are quite common during falls, and these are excellent means of spreading the fire. You should install a smoke alarm in every room that can detect any kind of fire that generates outside and could cause harm to your family.
4. Common Holiday Safety Tips
There are some safety tips that are common to all holidays irrespective of the month or season they fall in. Listed below are some of these basic precautions that should be taken during all holidays:
5. Wash Your Hands At Regular Intervals
Cleanliness is one of the most important parts of a lifestyle that should be followed during every part of the year. The use of anti-bacterial soap and clean water can stop the spreading of germs, thus avoiding any holiday sickness.
6. Sneeze And Cough In Your Elbow Sleeve In Absence Of Tissue Paper
Always cover your mouth when you’re about to sneeze or cough. But instead of using your hands, use your upper hand sleeve or your elbow sleeve.
7. Eat Healthy Food
Eat a balanced diet instead of food that is rich only in fat and sugar. Avoid over-eating and keep yourself active for at least up to 2-2.5 hours a week.
8. Get Regular Health Check-Ups Done
Schedule a visit with your doctor and get regular check-ups done. Keep your doctor aware of your lifestyle, your medical history, and your family health history.
9. Travel Safely
Don’t drink and drive under any situation. Wear a seat belt and make sure to properly buckle your kid.
10. Maintain Your Sleep Hygiene
Holidays can be quite stressful if you are not getting the necessary amount of sleep. Check your budget and avoid any stressful situation.
11. Stay Warm And Hydrated
It is very important to stay warm during the winter. Cold temperature can cause some serious health issues, so make sure to dress in layers. Also, make sure to keep yourself well-hydrated even if you aren’t thirsty enough.
12. Keep An Eye On Kids
Keep potentially harmful toys, food, and objects away from kids. Household objects like matches, candles and sharp tools should be kept far away from their reach.
The holidays are a great opportunity to spend quality time with your family and friends. But accidents can happen anywhere and anytime. Never put yourself through extra stress and ask for any amount of help needed from your family members. Avoid using any objects that seem doubtful and hazardous for you and your family’s safety. Take all the necessary precautions to make your holidays safer and thus, more enjoyable than ever.