When it comes to buying any home security product, we need to be very cautious of the brand we are using and the type of product we are buying. Smart cameras are leading home security products today which almost everyone wants in their homes. Now there are plenty of smart camera brands available in the market but are all of them equally good? Of course, they all differ in their quality and effectiveness.
To make your decision easy of what smart camera you should buy, we have found out two of the best security cameras present in the market today- Blink XT and Arlo Pro 2. After testing both these products consistently for a week, here we have their differences as well as similarities in detail so that you can decide the best between the two.
Comparison Chart Blink XT Vs. Arlo Pro 2
|Specifications||Blink XT||Arlo Pro 2|
|Base Station||Blink Sync Module||Arlo Base Station|
|Video Quality||Up to 1080p||Up to 720p|
|Warranty||1 year||1 year|
|Amazon Alexa||Echo and Echo Dot||Echo|
|IFTTT, Cloud Storage||Yes||Yes|
|Type||Wired or wireless||Wired or wireless|
|Operating temperature||-4 degree to 13 degrees F||-4 degree to 13 degrees F|
|Wink Hub, Hub||No||Yes|
|Lutron pro||No||Via IFTTT|
|Siren||Blink siren (to be released soon)||100+ decibel siren on Arlo pro base station|
|Night vision distance||NA||Upto 25ft|
|Field of view||110 degree||110 degree|
|App control||Yes, Blink app||Yes, Arlo app|
|No. of cameras supported||10||15|
|Scheduled recording facility||Yes||Yes|
|Continuous recording facility||No||Yes|
|Outdoor, Live view||Yes||Yes|
|FPS||7.5-30(low light-good lighting)||30fps|
|Power||2AA Batteries, Micro USB+ power adapter||Battery Micro USB+ power adapter|
|Remote control||Only App||App and web both|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
Blink XT Vs. Arlo Pro 2: Differences
1. Two-way Audio
The new technology of two-way audio lets you have a live conversation with the person who is captured or standing in front of the camera. It is helpful in many ways because if you find anything wrong or unusual taking place at your home like your kid has got hurt or any stranger comes at your door, at least you can communicate with them on the spot and try to resolve the problem as quickly as possible. It is available in Arlo pro 2 but unfortunately not in Blink XT.
Both cameras differ in their designs and color. Blink XT is a small black model that looks pretty classy too. Although it is small in size, it can be quite visible if installed on a white wall or any other light color wall. For this purpose, it comes with extra skins to hide and protect it.
Arlo Pro 2 is more attractive in design because it has a white glossy finish. It is very eye-catching to look at. It can be easily spotted too and that is why it comes with skins and camouflage for hiding.
In terms of power, Arlo Pro 2, of course, has better power-up options than Blink XT. Both devices work on lithium-ion batteries but Arlo pro 2 has rechargeable batteries with solar panel charger. On the other hand, Blink XT batteries are not rechargeable. In the case of Arlo Pro 2, you would not have to worry about changing the batteries every time as far as you have good sunlight outside. Arlo Pro 2 works has solar power batteries so in a way it can prove to be cheaper in the longer run. While, the Blink XT batteries have to be changed from time to time failure of which will stop the recording.
There is a difference between a smart hub and a voice controller. A smart hub lets your smart devices connect so that they can communicate well amongst themselves and give you a more effective and automatic result. In a smart hub, you can easily control all your smart devices through one app and it also lets your devices function automatically following each other. A voice controller feature is where you can control a smart device through your voice commands. There are a lot of advantages a smart hub has over any voice controller. In this respect, Arlo pro 2 exceeds as it lets you integrate with SmartThings hub, IFTTT, and Amazon Echo Show while Blink XT only allows voice controller integration with Amazon Echo and Echo Dot.
Without the hub, you won’t be able to change the settings of all your smart devices according to your liking. Your smart camera will not schedule itself according to your lifestyle following other smart devices. Therefore, Arlo pro 2 has an advantage over Blink in this very important feature.
5. Remote Viewing
One of the smart features that any smart camera offers you is remote viewing your activities with the help of an app or web. Both Blink XT and Arlo Pro 2 have remote viewing features. Arlo Pro 2 offers you remote viewing through the app as well as web access while Blink XT only offers you viewing through the app. In case if you lose your smartphone anywhere you need web access as an alternate option for viewing. Therefore, Arlo Pro 2 is a better device than Blink XT for such emergencies.
In terms of the video quality, Blink XT gives much better quality that is 1080 p while Arlo pro 2 is 720 p which is quite less in quality as compared to Blink.
Arlo pro 2 can zoom in 8 times and its field of view is 130 degrees. Blink XT can also zoom in 8 times but with 110 degrees field of view.
7. Storage Facility
In terms of storage also, Arlo pro 2 proves to be a better option than Blink XT. Arlo Pro 2 offers local as well as cloud storage. It can store data up to 7 days in cloud storage which is quite a long time as compared to other smart cameras.
On the other hand, Blink XT does not have the local storage facility. It stores the cloud data only up to 3 hours. It also does not offer any subscription plan to offer any extra storage facility.
Similarities: Blink XT Vs. Arlo Pro 2
Both devices are compatible with iOS as well as Android devices which is one great advantage of both of them. You do not need to worry about which smartphone you have if you buy any of these devices.
2. App Control
Both devices offer an app control feature. You can change the setting of your cameras, set schedules or timers or view the footage with the help of their respective apps via your smartphone anytime you want and from anywhere.
Both devices can easily detect whenever someone comes close to the camera and send you an alert via notification or e-mail in emergencies.
IFTTT is an important feature which is available in a lot of smart devices. It is very common. It helps you integrate your smart devices to other devices at your home. This feature is present in both devices.
5. Recording Facility
Both smart cameras have video recording facility. However, their video storage time may differ, but they both can record the footage as per your convenience to work as proof in times of need.
Additional Features And Technical Specifications Of Blink XT
- WEATHERPROOF FOR OUTDOOR OR INDOOR USE: Place and move your wireless Blink camera anywhere around your home both inside...
- MOTION DETECTOR: Built-in motion sensor alarm, when motion detector is triggered, Wi-Fi cameras will send an alert to...
- BATTERY POWERED SECURITY SYSTEM: Wireless home camera with 2-year battery life, powered by 2 Lithium AA 1.5v...
- The maximum number of cameras that can be connected is up to 10. You can easily sync them with each other.
- Its hub range is up to 100 meters
- It works in low light
- Instant alert feature via e-mail or notifications
- A wire-free camera that is why easily to replace or install anywhere
- One way audio access
- IFTTT compatible
- Video quality is 1080 p
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa
- It is weatherproof
- It does not have a remote control arm/disarm facility
- Can record for 60 seconds after detecting any motion
- Offers no data storage charges or subscription fees
- Model color is black
- The suitable operating temperature would be -4 degrees to 113 degrees F
- Can store video up to 2 hours
- No local storage facility
- Battery life is minimum 2 years and maximum of 5 years
- It provides the “sync mode” that lets your camera work even when the internet is slow and in case of power failure.
Additional Features And Technical Specifications Of Arlo pro 2
- 100 percent Wire free Free of power cords and wiring hassles
- 1080p HD High quality video with sharper and brighter details
- Flexible Powering Options Use wire free, plugged in. Rechargeable battery
- Has got a 130-degree viewing angle which offers a pretty wide angle of view
- A wire-free device with a rechargeable battery
- It can charge by power adapter too
- It has the feature of activity zones. The areas which are the most important like kitchen, front door, living room, etc. need to be set on activity zones and there are extra surveillance in these areas so you get an instant alert as soon as any motion is detected in these areas
- Two-way audio access
- Instant alert feature via e-mail or notification
- Offers smart quality siren with 10-decibel alarm for emergencies
- Has the local back up option where any activity can be stored in your USB
- Video quality is 720 p
- Has the night vision facility so it cannot easily record in the dark
- It can work in dim light
- It has got IP65 certification for weatherproofing feature
- Has the video recording facility
- It can store data up to 7 days in Cloud
- Compatible with SmartThings, IFTTT and Amazon Alexa
There are some accessories that you get along with each box for free. The list of the accessories offered by each box is given below-
- Extra Blink XT skins- 3pcs silicone skin
- White cover for blink set
- An adapter to charge
Arlo Pro 2
- Extra Arlo skins- 2pcs silicone skins
- Arlo fully rotational wall mount- 2pcs
- An adapter to charge
No, Blink XT does not take any monthly fee. Once you purchase the item, it is completely yours and you can use it for free.
Yes, the Blink XT camera does need a Wi-Fi connection to work. You need to have proper Wi-Fi that works smoothly to make your cameras function. If there is no connection, the camera will stop working.
Arlo Pro 2 can connect up to 6 cameras which are fairly less than Blink XT that supports a total of 10 cameras integration.
Yes, Arlo Pro 2 camera does have a light which is pretty much visible from a close distance.
Jot down your needs, before buying any of these smart cameras for yourself. Giving a thumbs up to any of them would be difficult as they are designed at different levels. Blink XT is a regular high video quality camera but it lacks the necessary features like live video recording and local storage.While for Arlo Pro 2 the video quality is not as amazing as Blink but the features are far ahead. So, on the whole its pretty much your decision which one would be best for your home.