In order to make your elders life easier and safer, you need to give them the best possible comfort. When it comes to their safety, no point on the checklist can be compromised. If you are unsure of what devices to buy for elderly people’s safety, we are here to help you. We’ve examined around 120 safety devices to come to this list. We’ve made sure that all the products suggested are up to the mark and meets necessary safety benchmark. Follow the guidline to ensure that your loved ones lead a safe and secure lifestyle.
Best Safety Devices For Seniors
1. Adjustable Bed
- Enjoy lifestyle and health benefits with the Adjustable Comfort ergonomic bed with programmable elevation positions,...
- 53 inches W x 74 inches L x 15 inches H
- Whisper quiet adjustable bed base with separate ergonomic head and foot elevations; programmable settings for lounge,...
Adjustable beds are of a great help for seniors. Most of the elderly persons encounter problems in sitting straight for a long time. But laying down for long is not good as well.Classic Brands Adjustable Bed Base can prove to be a virtue in this situation. It comes with separate head and foot elevations. It can be controlled with a wireless remote. It also offers you pre-programmable settings and two USB ports. It has a capacity to bear weight up to 1000Lbs.It has a heavy metal frame for complete safety. The product is available in different sizes so that you can find the perfect one for your elders.
- Comes with wheels and a vinyl contoured hand grip. With your arm extended down, handle should be at wrist height. With...
- Each side operates independently to allow easy movement through narrow spaces and greater stability while standing
- Easy push button mechanisms may be operated by fingers, palms or side of hand
There is no doubt that walkers can be helpful for your elders. It provides them safety while walking. Seniors who are not able to walk properly or have joints problem, walkers are a virtue for them.
Keeping this in mind, we suggest you the Drive Medical Deluxe Walker. It is one of the best walkers you could ask for. It comes with vinyl contoured hand grips and wheels. It comes with easy push-button mechanisms. Its strong and durable frame ensures stability while walking. The newly incorporated glide caps allow it to slide smoothly over most of the surfaces.
3. Power Wheelchairs
- EASY TO STORE - Lightweight storage folding chair without disassembling. The electric wheelchair folds up in 5 seconds...
- DURABLE AND STYLISH - Smart silver aluminum aircraft alloy frame, includes matching footrests. This model power...
- COMFORT ON RUGGED TERRAIN - Ergonomically designed for comfort. Operate this motorized wheelchair in grass, gravel, or...
Sometimes, it can happen that your elders are not able to walk. If not incapable, it becomes difficult for them to walk for long. It acts as a hindrance on their daily chores. They become dependent on you even for small activities.
The Sentire Med Forza Wheel Chair is the best option for you to tackle this situation. This power wheelchair is lightweight and can be easily carried anywhere. Its silver aluminum frame is made to provide durability. The wheelchair requires no maintenance. The joystick controller can be detached and placed on either side of the wheelchair. It has a removable seat and seat cover with under seat storage.
4. Personal Alert System
- 3 Pagers and 2 Call Buttons, the Idea is for Both Caregiver and Patient/Elderly/Resident/Handicapped/Sick Freedom while...
- Transmitter/Push Call Button is Waterproof. Acceptable for Meal/Soup Splash. And Allow to be Installed in the Washing...
- Transmitter/Push Call Button is Easy Carry. It can Be Put in Pocket. Or Hang on neck as Pendant. Neck Strap included....
For the elderly family members, having a personal system can be a virtue. In case of any emergency or contingency, the alarms can be of great help.CallToU Wireless Smart Call System comes with three pagers and two call buttons. This would eradicate the need of yelling for someone when needed. It is easy to be carried. The pager comes with a choice of 55 ringtones for you and your elders to choose from. It also has adjustable volume of 5 levels.
5. Toilet Seat Riser
- WIDE & COMFORTABLE RAISER - Unique ergonomic design adds 4" of height extension to your toilet seat to make it easier to...
- SECURE & SAFE LIFT - Anti-slip surface, push pins and locking mechanism ensure a secure fit on the toilet bowl rim....
- DURABLE & HYGIENIC - Reliable ADA complaint toilet seat height extender and high quality raised toilet booster seat is...
The Bathroom is the most vulnerable place for accidents. In case of seniors, it becomes more dangerous. Bathroom safety is of utmost important. You should make sure that your family elders do not encounter any problem while using the toilets.
For their safety, convenience and comfort, we suggest you the Vaunn Medical Raised Toilet Seat & Seat Riser. The design allows height extension up to 4” of the toilet seat. It makes it easier for them to sit down and get up. The anti-slip surface and the locking mechanisms provide greater safety and grip on the toilet seat. The toilet seat riser is light weight and portable, weighing less than 5Lbs. It is made up of heavy-duty moulded premium plastic and is anti-bacterial.
6. Kitchen Tools
- Durability with the highest level of cut resistant material available on the market - 4 times stronger than leather.
- Superior grip with a snug fit for small and large hands - made for preparing food or working on jobs requiring...
- Lightweight and comfortable protection without the bulk - awarded with the highest, EN388 level 5 cut resistance.
Safety of your elders in the kitchen is as important as safety anywhere else in the house. Your elders can be prone to injuries in the kitchen while doing any regular activity. For them, these few things can be of great help.
The NoCry Cut Resistant Gloves can be beneficial for your seniors. It is lightweight and has a superior grip. It provides safety up to level 5 cuts. The glove comes in four sizes to ensure a great fit. It is completely food safe and washable, ensuring easy cleaning.
The DMI Step Stool with Handle is made up of chrome-plated steel frame. The frame provides it high durability and strength. It can hold weight up to 300 Lbs. It has non-slip textured matting with rubber grips for additional safety and stability. Your elders can easily reach objects with the support of the handrail. The handrail comes with a rubber grip which is slip resistant.
7. Stair Railings
It is not necessary that the product meant to be a safety device should look like one. There are other ways of safety which are beneficial not only for your seniors but for every member of your house.
Staircases are often the danger zone of a house. There can be chances of slipping, misbalance or falling down. Nowadays, as a style statement, railings from the staircases are eradicated or made according to the trend. You should never ignore the safety purpose of the railings.
Ensure that your staircase has strong and durable railings to provide support to your elders in case of any incident on the staircase. The railings can protect you and your loved elders from any serious harm or injury as staircase accidents can be fatal.
8. Bed Railings
- Simple to use handle slides under mattress to provide a safe and secure grip for assistance getting into and out of bed
- Comes in three easy to assemble pieces; No tools necessary.Height Adjustment 15 20 inches
- No Slip foam on base board for increased stability
Sometimes, your seniors tend to fall from the bed. They can lose their balance sometimes due to dizziness when they wake up. Drive Medical Bed Assist Handle can be the best help for you in this situation.
They are very simple to use and can be slid under the mattress. The design provides a safe and secure grip for your elders to grab upon. It acts as a sturdy and durable support to them for getting in and out of the bed. It comes in three pieces which are easy to assemble. It also has a slip resistant foam base which provides stability during use. The steel frame is solid, strong and easy to clean. It can be attached to either side of the bed.
9. Remote Control Door Alarms
- Arm/Disarm/Panic/Doorbell mode controlled by the remote
- Magnetically triggered alarm suitable for Doors or Windows
- More alarms and remotes available for pairing
Door alarms can be very useful for your elders. They do not have that much strength and capability to fight with an intruder. In such cases they can be harmed easily if no help arrives on time.Wsdcam Door Alarm and Window sensors are the best suggested one for you. Most of the burglaries happen from doors and windows. Coming with a 105dB loud sound, this door security device can help to warn everyone about any break-ins into the house. It comes with 4 different modes. The device can be controlled by a wireless remote having a range of up to 50 feet The alarm has a low battery consumption design which can work up to a year.
10. Shower Stools
- COMFORTABLE PADDED SHOWER STOOL - Padded bath seat is detachable for easy cleaning and the shower stool has anti-slip...
- NO ASSEMBLE TOOLS NEEDED: Molded from the best heavy duty anodized aluminum. Simply slide the legs up or down, then...
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND EXCEPTIONALLY STABLE SHOWER SEATS: Comfort and Safety with the Medokare Adjustable Height Handicap...
The bathrooms being the most prone area to injuries for your seniors require extra safety. Many incidents like slipping or falling in the bathroom can occur with your elderly while bathing. This happens due to slippery floor and lack of proper support and grip.Medokare Shower Stool can be very helpful for them. It comes with an anti-slip rubber bottom for a better grip on the floor. It is made up of heavy duty iodized aluminium which provides a firm and durable firm. The shower stool is height adjustable as per the requirement. It is incredibly light weight and can hold up to 130kilogarms or 280 Lbs. It can be assembled easily. Storage space used is less as it can be detached and stored conveniently.
11. Low Vision Aids
- THE MOST ADVANCED LIGHTING SYSTEM ON MAGNIFIER: This led magnifier is equipped with 12 SMD led lights which are covered...
- LARGE VIEWING AREA WITH CRYSTAL CLEAR LENS: Optical grade magnifying lens covers large viewing area without having your...
- 12 ENERGY EFFICIENT SMD LEDs CONTROLLED BY DIMMABLE SWITCH: Our SMD LEDs are designed to last 100,000+ hours not only...
Eyesight of your elders can gradually decreases with age. It becomes difficult for your seniors to read or easily understand anything. Small fonts cannot be read easily by them and forceful reading can cause discomfort and damage to their eyes. In such cases low vision aids such as magnifiers can be a great help for them. They need not depend on you or someone else to narrate something to them.MagniPros Page Magnifier is the best aid to this problem. This magnifier is equipped with led lights with anti-glare reflectors. The LED lights are dimmable as per need. It is designed in a way that it fits in most hands. It covers a large area while reading so that it doesn’t have to move it repeatedly.
12. Light Reflecting Switch Boards
To help your elders in night times make sure the switch boards have light installed in them. The light on the switch boards will help your seniors to find their way to it in the dark. It will reduce chances of trembling over things while finding the switches.
If lights cannot be installed on the switch boards at least ensure that the switchboards are painted with glow paints. These paints glow in the dark indicating the place and direction of the switch board.
Safety Tips For Your Elders
1. Home Safety
- Ensure the availability of fire extinguishers and smoke detectors at every floor of your house.
- Provide them with comfortable footwear with low or no heels.
- Avoid any kind of slippery substance on the floor.
- Make sure that your elders do not use ladders or stools which are heightened.
- Install proper lighting at your house, especially the staircase.
- Keep your house clean and clutter-free.
- Have strong and durable railings for all the staircases in your house.
2. Bathroom Safety
- Properly put a mark on hot and cold faucets.
- Install door locks which can be opened from either side of the door.
- Install proper lightings in and around all the bathrooms at your house.
- Bring into use such soaps and products which do not leave any residue on the floor.
- Keep the floor of the bathroom properly cleaned and free of any slippery substance.
- Make them use non-slippery footwear whenever they go to the bathroom.
- Ensure that all the bathing utensils are skid-proof and non-slippery.
3. Kitchen Safety
- Light up the work station.
- Store sharp kitchen utensils carefully and separately.
- Try to bring into use automatic utensils.
- Mark on switches properly the ‘on’ and ‘off’ direction.
- Do not keep heavier objects of regular use at higher altitude.
- Whenever your elders cook near the stove or oven, make sure they do not wear loose clothes.
- Make sure all the products in the kitchen are checked timely and there is no expired product in your stores.
4. Medicine Safety
- Ensure that all their medicines are properly marked and labelled.
- Check for expiration dates.
- Make the medicines reviewed by the doctor from time to time.
- Dispose of the unused or medicines of no use properly.
- Do not mix prescribed and non-prescribed medicines without the doctor’s prescriptions.
- Ensure that they take correct and timely dosage of the medicines.
- To avoid confusions, buy a medicine dispenser and arrange the dosage in it.
The write-up aims to provide you with the complete details about the safety of seniors. Complete disclosure of the best safety devices for your seniors is made. The devices and products ensure the safety of elders to a particular extent. Nothing ensures 100% safety of anyone. The products or devices are to aid you in the process of their safety.These devices and products can make the life of elders easier. They can be more efficient in performing their daily activities with a decreased level of risk or injury or danger. Take your step ahead in the direction of aiding the lives of your loved elders.