When your baby starts crawling and exploring the space around them, measures have to be taken to ensure their safety.Insignificant things around your home, such as drawers and toilet seats, need to be baby-proofed so that your baby can move around your home without any safety concerns. And it can be tricky and quite daunting for new parents to decide what baby-proofing products they might need.That’s why, after several hours of research and testing, we’ve combined a list of best baby-proofing products that will truly be beneficial to your home and ensure the safety of your child.
Best Baby Proofing Products
1.Safety Gates And Shields
If your home has a staircase, it is the first thing to be taken care of. Stairs pose a dangerous threat to babies who can crawl. It should be barricaded by an adjustable gate at the top and the bottom so that it is out of your baby’s access. Similarly, your banisters and balcony railings should be baby-proofed as well because these are also places where babies are at risk of falling through. When babies start crawling, they are extremely curious about their surroundings so make sure your home is equipped to ensure their safety.
Here are a few products to baby-proof your staircase and banisters
a. Cardinal Gates Banister Shield 15′
No products found.
This product is for covering all the gaps in your banisters and balcony railings, which pose a potential falling risk for your baby. It is crystal clear, so it won’t ruin the aesthetics of your home. Also, it is made of durable, shatterproof glass that cannot be broken by human hands so you can be sure that it will protect your baby from falling through. It is very easy to install and comes with all the hardware necessary for the same.
b. Kidco Safeway Gate, Top of Stairs Gate
- Specifically designed for top of stairs use
- Quick release hardware allows gate to be removed when not needed
- Directional stop prevents gate from swinging out over stairs
This gate is for protecting your child from accessing the top of your staircase. It is very easy to handle and all its joints rotate so that it can be fixed at an ideal angle and locked in place. It has quick-release hardware so it can easily be removed when not needed. It is made of heavy-duty steel so it can be trusted to keep your child out of danger.
c. Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Walk-Thru Baby Gate
- ACCOMODATES MOST OPENINGS: The Summer Multi-Use Decorative Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate for Baby can be used between...
- EASY INSTALLATION: Easily install this baby gate on stairways with the included kit, or by using the no drill doorway...
- AUTO-CLOSE FEATURE: For added hands-free convenience, this safety gate is equipped with an auto-close feature that...
The bottom of the staircase does is not as risky as the top but don’t ignore it. It needs to be secured as well so that the staircase is completely out of your child’s access. Babies who are well into their crawling phase may be able to climb stairs too, which again, is a falling risk. This gate is made of metal and is 36 inches tall. It fits gaps between 28.5 and 45 inches. It comes with the hardware needed for installing it. You can be sure that this gate will keep your baby away from exploring the staircase!
2. Baby Proof Locks For Drawers And Wardrobes
It is highly recommended that for the first few years of your child’s life, any cabinet or drawer below your waist level should be baby proofed. All toxic products, sharp tools and anything else that might be dangerous should be stored in higher drawers, out of the baby’s reach. That is the first step. The next step is to baby proof the drawer itself as it is very easy for a child to get his or her fingers jammed in a drawer or a wardrobe hinge. Therefore, safety locks and latches should be installed in all drawers and cabinets, especially the ones that store items that could be dangerous to a child. These mainly include bathroom and kitchen drawers.
Here are a few products that can be used:
a. Safety 1st Adhesive Magnetic Lock System
- Adhesive lock attaches easily to the inside of your cabinet or drawer
- Each lock includes a plastic template for perfect installation alignment every time
- No tools needed for most cabinets. Some materials, such as particle board, require the use of screws (included)
This lock attaches easily to the interior of your drawer or cabinet. Each lock has a template to ensure perfect alignment while installing. It is easy to install and does not require too many tools. It comes with a magnetic key that should be stored away from the child’s reach.
b. Child Safety Cabinet Locks Latches – 12 Pack
- INVISIBLE DESIGN - The child safety cabinet locks latches adopt invisible design, which is installed inside the...
- EASY TO INSTALL - The child safety cabinet locks latches are incredibly easy to install!No need for tools,...
- RELIABLE BABY PROOFING - The child safety cabinet locks latches offer protection to keep your baby away from drawers and...
This 12-pack of locks and latches adopts an invisible design, and all these are to be fixed inside the cabinet. Due to their invisible design, these locks and latches will not attract a child’s curiosity to come and meddle with them. They are extremely easy to install, they don’t require any special tools and they don’t require holes to be drilled either. The locks also operate without any keys; therefore, the added pressure of missing keys is not there. These locks are very durable and can be up to 25 kgs without damaging the cupboard. They are also very versatile and can easily be fixed in various types of cabinets, doors, and wardrobes.
c. Eco-Baby Child Safety Magnetic Cabinet and Drawer Locks
- Comprehensive baby proofing kit. This set of 12 baby safety locks for cabinets and drawers remain invisible to maintain...
- No drilling, no screws. Each baby proofing cabinet lock is easy to install and use. No tools are required! With a simple...
- Aesthetic and out of sight. No clutter or eyesores! These child safety locks for cabinets and drawers are designed to...
This set includes 12 locks that can be used to secure every cupboard and cabinet that is easily accessible to your baby. They can be installed on top, bottom or the side of the cabinet/drawer as long as it is a flat surface. These locks come with extremely durable duct tape that will keep the locks in place. These locks are extremely easy to install and don’t require any tools. Also, they are 100% risk-free and will not ruin the aesthetics of your home.
3. Baby Proofing The Doors
It is extremely important to baby-proof your doors for two important reasons. The first reason is that the doors need to be secure so that your child will be unable to open them and wander off, especially through your front door. The other reason is that doors can also jam your baby’s fingers if slammed shut. Therefore, we have a few product recommendations that can tackle these potential risks.
a. Door Knob Covers – 4 Pack By Jool Baby
- Deter children from opening doors or getting locked in a room with a door knob cover.
- Compatible with standard spherical doorknobs. Fits more door knobs than any competing product.
- Our door knob safety cover features a subdued, unobtrusive design that blends into your room design.
These tools deter your child from opening doors or getting locked in a room. They are compatible with the standard-sized doorknob and are known to fit more doorknobs than any competing product. They come in a subtle design that will not interfere with the aesthetics of your room.
b. Door Lever Lock (2 Pack) Child Proof Doors & Handles 3M Adhesive
- Compatible with standard door lever handles. US Patent No. 10,221,587
- NEW PATENTED TECHNOLOGY: No more children locking you in a room. The only way to lock and unlock the lever lock is by...
- Deter children from opening doors with a Door Lever Lock. Simple, unobtrusive design that blends into your room design.
This tool is to prevent your child from opening doors with a lever lock. It is easy to install and does not require any tool, only adhesive. It is compatible with most standard door levels. It has a simple, unobtrusive design that will blend in well with your room.
c. Door Pinch Guards (6 Pack) Baby Proof Doors
- Child Safety Door Pinch Guards are made from soft EVA foam, prevents the doors from closing on your curious child, baby,...
- Prevent Injuries, stop doors from slamming & prevent child or pet from getting locked out.
- Baby Proof your doors in seconds: Place the Pinch Guard on the side or on top of the door.
These door pinch guards are made from soft EVA foam and prevent the door from slamming on your child’s fingers. It is extremely easy to use and only needs to be fixed to the door edge. This small measure can prevent major injuries and getting your child locked out or inside a room!
4. Baby-proofing The Toilet Seat
Toilets, if left open, are a drowning hazard for your child. Besides that, it is better to keep the dirty toilet water away from your child’s access.
Here are some products that can be used to keep your toilet seat shut and locked when not in use:
a. Mommy’s Helper Toilet Seat Lid-Lok
- Easy for adults to open
- Fits most standard toilets
- Installs without tools
This lock is used to keep your toilet seat securely shut and out of your baby’s access. It fits most standard toilets and is for adults to handle. It will fit on toilet bowls with the rim ranging from 1.25-3 inches, and have brackets that are adjustable to ensure a secure fit. It is easy to install and does not require any tools or expertise.
b. Safety 1st Swing Shut Toilet Lock
- Sanitary one hand operation
- Automaticlally relocks when lid is lowered
- Secure adhesive mounting
This tool has an automatic locking mechanism when the toilet seat is shut. It doesn’t require any tools for installation, it uses adhesive to be secured in place. This product is only meant to be used on hard toilet lid and seats, it cannot be used on soft, padded toilet seats. Once fixed, this lock will restrict the lid from being lifted beyond 1.5 inches.
5. Corner Guards
The corners of tables and chairs may seem insignificant, but they are a potential source of injury for your baby. When they try to stand or walk, they will take the support of everything to maintain balance. These are times when precautions must be taken because a child learning to stand or walk tends to fall a lot. Also, they still do not have complete control over their developing limbs which may make them bump into furniture a lot! That’s why it is better to prevent these bumps and bruises by taking the necessary measures. Corner guards will do the trick. Here are some recommendations for the same:
a. Roving Cove Baby Proofing Edge & Corner Guards
- HEAVY-DUTY PREMIUM RUBBER FOAM: Shore A 20-N density / 0.4-inch thick- maximum impact absorbent.
- CLEAN SAFETY: Roving Cove uses safe and pure raw material and was the first brand to make foam safety bumpers without...
- DENSEST: Density is more important than thickness when it comes to softening impact. Our edge and corner guard measure...
This product by Roving Cove is made using the safest and purest materials. It is the first of its kind to be manufactured without using toxic substances like heavy metals, latex, and SCCPs. It is flame-resistant and approved under US regulations. The material used is highly dense and absorbs impact, thereby preventing your little one from suffering a nasty bump or bruise from the corner of your table. This pack covers 20.4 feet of surface area and fits all standard tables. Its color is also neutral and will blend in well with your furniture.
b. SKYLA HOMES: Clear Corner Protective made of High Resistance Adhesive Gel
- SLEEP WITH PEACE OF MIND: Join millions of parents and trust Skyla to create the safe, fun and warm home that your...
- WHAT YOU GET: A pack of 20 that comes with premium reinforced adhesive. Just remove the covering and stick on. It’s...
- ADULT FRIENDLY TECH: Works anywhere you need to: metal, glass, plastic and wood. Securing your home has never been...
These corner guards are extremely easy to install. They do not require any special tools as they just need to be stuck on the table using the pre-applied adhesive. Also, since they are clear and transparent, once stuck on the table(s), they won’t even be noticeable. Therefore, they won’t ruin the aesthetics of your home. Made with high-quality materials and tested, these corner guards will ensure your child’s safety around tables.
6. Socket Covers
In many homes, plug sockets are kept at heights that are easily accessible to small children. Therefore, when not in use, all sockets in your home must be baby proofed. Children might get their fingers stuck in them, or electrocute themselves. Here are some products that can be used to babyproof the plug sockets in your home:
a. Jambini Self-Closing Outlet Covers
- Imagine an socket covers that child proof itself - instantly closes after a power cord is removed, eliminating potential...
- Provides a permanent solution to prevent children from choking hazards from conventional outlet plugs, allowing you to...
- Discover that installation is simple; all you need is a screwdriver and 30 seconds of your time. Screws are already...
This product is used to baby-proof electrical sockets in your home. As soon as a plug is removed from the socket, this guard makes sure that the socket holes are completely covered and secure from being opened by human hands. This will prevent your child from getting into accidents with the sockets. Also, it is extremely easy to install and requires only a screwdriver and 30 seconds of your time. The rest of the hardware needed comes with the product itself.
b. Kidco Universal Outlet Covers in White – TWELVE (12) Pack
This product works on both standard and Decora style outlets. Once the plug is removed from the socket, it ensures that the socket is closed. This prevents babies from putting their fingers, or any other objects, into the sockets. This pack also 2 outlet covers that can be used during temporary situations or travel!
7. Window Protectors
If your baby can walk or climb, windows will pique their curiosity for sure. It’s always better to prevent a tragic accident as windows pose a falling risk as well. Invest in window guards, and make sure they have bars or grills sufficiently close to each other so that your baby won’t be able to squeeze through them. Windows will generally be above reach for babies, but it is better to be safe than sorry!
a. Automatic Specialties Guardian Angel Child Safety Window Guard
- Sturdy guardian angel window guard
- Use to prevent accidental window falls
- Emergency release buttons
This is used to prevent small children from falling out of windows. It has release buttons so that it can easily be removed during emergencies. It also comes with all the hardware needed to install it!
2. Kidco Mesh Window Guard
No products found.
This window guard is made of nylon, and not metal, hence it does not pose the risk of causing any injuries. Its main purpose is to protect your child from falling out of the window. It fits windows of width 26 inches to 40 inches. It has a neutral design and will blend in well with your furniture.
H. Furniture Anchors
Once babies start crawling or walking, they naturally become curious about everything around. This might lead to them trying to climb furniture, or continuously bumping into furniture around them. Hence, this poses a risk of the furniture tipping over. To prevent this, special tools can be used to tightly anchor the furniture and keep them from falling. The furniture that needs to be considered for this includes dressers, bookshelves, cabinets, television table, etc.
1. Bebe Earth – Furniture and TV Anti-Tip Straps (8-Pack)
- PEACE OF MIND PROTECTION: Babyproof your home by anchoring furniture to the wall to prevent tipping if curious children...
- EASILY ADJUSTABLE: Each secure strap can be adjusted up to 21 inches long to hold bookcases, dressers and more upright....
- HARDWARE INCLUDED: Our baby proof kit includes 8 straps and all necessary hardware and installation instructions; a door...
These are used to secure furniture that can tip over, and keep them upright. Each anchoring strap can be stretched to 21 inches long so most of the furniture around your house can be anchored. In general, 2 straps should be used per piece of furniture, and 3 if the furniture is large or very heavy. This pack has all the hardware needed for fixing these anchors, a set of instructions, and a door stopper guard as well. This tool is so secure that it can be trusted during earthquakes as well!
2. SKYLA Homes- Furniture and TV Anti-Tip Straps (10-pack)
- ✓ PEACE OF MIND: Join millions of parents investing in a safer home! Never again will you feel fearful and anxious...
- WHAT YOU GET: A pack of 6 straps, 30 tv bolts, 12 short screws, 6 long screws, 6 washers and 6 anchors
- ✓ HASSLE-FREE INSTALLATION: At Skyla, we acknowledge the real cost of your energy and time; that is why we've shaped...
Said to be America’s number 1 anti-tip anchoring strap, this product in 100% impact resistant and the first choice for millions of parents. It is manufactured with high-quality materials and is factory tested for safety. It comes with the hardware required for installation and can be done DIY in 3 simple steps. Never again will you feel anxious about your child’s safety around furniture!
Fireplaces can prove to be a great safety hazard for babies who can walk or crawl. Babies need to be kept away from fireplaces both when they are on and off. Here is a fireplace door lock that will your baby from getting too close to the fireplace.
1. Best Choice Products Baby Safety Fence Hearth Gate BBQ
No products found.
This is to be used around the fireplace to keep it out if your child’s access. It has a door with a handle and adjustable wall mount hardware. It is made of heavy-duty steel and its width is 122 inches.
J. Pool Safety
If your home has a swimming pool, it is quite a big safety concern. You wouldn’t want your child to wander off to your pool without you knowing. There are pool-guard products available to prevent this.
1. Poolguard GAPT-2 Outdoor Pool Gate Alarm
- Approved for Outdoor Use
- Battery Powered
- 1 Year
This product can be used on any kind of gate or door that gives access to your pool. If your child opens the gate, the alarm will sound in 7 seconds so that you can immediately take action. It is always on and gets reset automatically. It also will not allow the gate/door to be left open. It has a separate adult-pass feature that will enable adults to access the pool without setting off the alarm. It also has a low battery indicator, so that you will be notified when battery replacements are needed. This will ensure that your child will never wander off to your pool without your supervision
H. Anti-scalding Devices
When you bathe with hot water in your bathroom, your taps tend to become hot. And taps are usually at heights that can be accessed by small children. Precautions need to be taken so that your child doesn’t scald himself if he touches a hot-water tap, such burns can sting and your baby’s sensitive skin might get damaged. There are anti-scalding devices available for this.
1. Antiscald Faucet Attachment
- Safety Device to Prevent Scalds
- Can be used in private & public housing, child care centers, hotels & nursing homes
- Easy to install no plumber needed
This product is to prevent burns from hot faucets. It can be used at homes, childcare centers, nursing homes, etc. It is very easy to install and you can do it on your own.
Comprehensive Checklist For Childproofing Your Home
|A||In Your Kitchen||Tickbox|
|1.||Install a safety cover on the garbage disposal|
|2.||Childproof your stove|
|3.||Attach safety locks in all drawers and cabinets|
|B||In Your Bedroom|
|1.||Check your crib, keep it away from doors and windows|
|2.||Install window guards|
|C||In Your Bathroom|
|1.||Safety locks on all cabinets|
|2.||Install a toilet seat lock|
|3.||Install Anti-scald devices on all faucets|
|D||Throughout Your Home and Outdoors|
|1.||Install plug socket guards|
|2.||Safety gates near the staircase and kitchen|
|4.||Install a pool alarm|
Childhood is one of the most beautiful stages of one’s life, and you wouldn’t want your baby’s childhood ruined by a bunch of accidents caused to negligence, would you? Therefore, put aside some time and effort to make your child’s life at home as safe as possible. Small steps like these might make a difference down the line!